“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Naka Thai

Naka Thai
Ranked #43 of 477 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Relax and enjoy authentic Thai cuisine in this 300 year old historic Tudor building in Colchester. Although the building has been modernised, it still retains every aspect of its uniqueness and heritage. Our Head Chef, Triphop Thongkraing, was raised and trained in Thailand and has over 25 years experience. His talents are proven through customer enjoyment and appreciation for his cooking ability and innate creativity. This inspires him to maintain the Thai culinary traditions, preparation and presentation in Naka Thai. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, and you can dine assured that no matter what the occasion is you will have a pleasurable dining experience.
Slough, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

So I visited the restaurant before it was taken over by Naka Thai. After the acquisition I visited and loved it! The interior has been changed completely and it is beautiful. Some might say its over the top but its different and quite nice. The staff were extremely friendly and filled our drinks every time we had a sip left.

The food was fabulous too. The portions were quite small but then again most Thai restaurants serve "minimalistic" food. The taste however, was amazing. I loved it so much that I hosted my friends 20th birthday day. Nearly 40 people showed up and everyone was full up and impressed.

Another great thing is that they have student friendly prices. They recently introduced this to the students and it comes at a good price. I'm impressed and I will certainly recommend it!

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank Ella2790

Colchester, United Kingdom
“An experience to never be repeated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I am not generally a complainer, I believe everyone can have an off day, however my visit to Naka Thai was a horrific experience. Frozen centred starters, human hairs in main curry course and rice I believe was several days old.

I complained discreetly and pleasantly (even though we were among only about 8 people in the entire place, on a Saturday night, and my party was four of the eight) to simply have my waiter stare at me as if he did not see it as a problem. No discount was offered, no replacement of dishes, nothing.

I had eaten here when it was a previous name, the name might have changed but the sub standards of service and quality are as bad if not worse.

6 Thank Chef_Tommo
Naka-Thai, Manager at Naka Thai, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear Tommy,
I am a manager of Naka Thai where you claimed you had very bad experience with our food and service on Saturday night. First and foremost, I would like to know what exactly Saturday was when you came to the restaurant. This is because we had about 35 customers on Saturday 14 January 2012, and 30 customers on Saturday 7 January 2012 and on Saturday 31 January 2011, we had around 40 customers. Therefore, it was not 8 customers as you claimed on the review. Secondly, every single night I personally tend to talk to every customer in order to get the feedback and constructive criticisms to try to improve our food and service because we are new in town and always want the customers to get the best value for their money when they decide to come to our restaurant. Since we opened in August 2011, I have never ever encountered what you said in the review about food and service, lets alone last Saturday or whatever Saturday you claimed. Finally, I will be very happy if you personally could come to see me if you still insisted you encountered that bad experience and if it was true, I will refund all the money you have spent on that night.
Best regards,
Naka Thai manager
Colchester, United Kingdom
“My favourite Thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have had quite a few takeaways from Naka Thai (including last night!) plus I've eaten in there once before as well.
The food is always delicious - I tend to always have the same thing (veggie Thai green curry) and the quality is always good. My partner normally prefers Indian or Chinese food but even he likes Naka Thai, in fact he often suggests we get takeaway from there. We have some friends who are very picky about food and often find something to complain about but they liked it too!

When I ate in there, the service was very quick and efficient and the bill was cheaper than we'd expected given how much we'd eaten and how nice it was.

Would highly recommend.

4 Thank sarahjane198
Naka-Thai, Manager at Naka Thai, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear Sarahjane198,
To begin with, we would like to say thank you for coming to the restaurant and regularly having our take away. We have been here for six months now and without customer like you, we would not be here at all. Therefore, thank you again for all your support in the last six months and please always let us know whenever we perform below the standard you expect from us or you think you do not get the best value for money from us anymore. Otherwise, we are looking forward to seeing you soon maybe on valentine day or delivering our food to your doorstep.
Best regards,
Naka Thai manager
Witham, United Kingdom
“It was...just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

Whenever I visit Colchester I always visit another Thai restaurant on East Hill (won't mention the name because this review is about the Naka Thai), and I recently spent an evening at the Naka purely by accident!

My wife had mentioned "the Thai on East Hill" to some friends of ours, and they invited us to join them there for a Birthday meal. Unfortunately they didn't pick the Thai restaurant that we'd been to before, but I still thought it would be helpful to share our thoughts on the evening.

The first thing I have to say is I like the 'olden times' design of the restaurant. I think that's mostly down to the nature of the properties in the area, and it was a positive feature.

On arrival we were surprised to see the restaurant was virtually empty given that it was a Saturday night in December, but we were greeted by nice and friendly staff, and made to feel welcome.

The decor inside the Naka is (I think) an acquired taste...very fancy, and it feels like you are at a wedding in a marquee. I didn't mind it at all, but my mates wife thought it was over the top.

As for the food, I intentionally chose a dish that I had at the other Thai restaurant further up the hill because I thought it would help me to make a comparison. I had stir fry beef in basil.

I was a little bit disappointed if I'm being honest because the meat was very chewy and tough, and the flavours were a bit on the bland side. It was certainly edible...just not tasty in the way that I expected.

Others in out party also felt the same about the quality of their dishes, with everyone saying that whilst the presentation was great, the quality of the food was actually below average (weeping tiger was very tough, duck was very fatty and bland, and the garlic chicken was dry and tough) . However, one thing that we did enjoy was the Thai sticky rice...that was very tasty!

Maybe we just got unlucky (I guess all restaurants have an off day), but out of 4 main dishes we expected at least 1 of them to be good.

Let me summarise with the good and bad points:

Good points:
~ Nice building, and unusual decor
~ Friendly and helpful staff

Bad points:
~ Location (will explain more on this shortly)
~ Quality of food is below average (sadly)

Regarding the location issue, I notice that someone else said that parking is very nearby in Priory st, but it's actually 1/4 mile away up the steepest hill in Colchester! (Check Google maps and you will see what I mean)

Leaving a restaurant and having to walk 1/4 mile up a big hill after a meal is not ideal, so I would definitely say that you should consider a taxi if you visit here.

My last negative point about the Naka was a discussion that I had with one of the staff members (he might have been the boss, although very young). I mentioned that we had a great time at the Thai further up the hill, and he wanted to know everything about our evening there.

All the questions got a little bit uncomfortable to be honest, and although he was obviously trying to learn about the local competition, I thought he should be more concerned about what is happening in his own restaurant.

To conclude, an enjoyable evening with our friends over a few beers and some food, but a few important factors were sadly below par.

You can't help but get the impression that the Naka is trying to emulate the success and popularity of the Thai restaurant further up the hill, but based on our visit, it has a very tough job on its hands.

2 Thank James C
Essex
“Colchester's best kept secret (a real hidden gem)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Just had a return visit to Naka Thai- the food was even better than last time.

The staff are so friendly AND we have just had a sneak peak at the VALENTINES menu, which looks very appealing and Great value- which makes a change for valentines as normally prices increase everywhere! You can get a 3 course meal and drink for £18!..so looking forward to that already :) ...
would definately recommend the mixed platter to start and the sweet and sour chicken and my partner had an equally nice chicken stir fri dish. I also love the fact this place is open until late unlike so many eating places and you never feel rushed.

• Visited January 2012