“The Treble Tile”

The Treble Tile
Ranked #39 of 488 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a fantastic Village fine dining Restaurant. We are able to cater to dietary needs and our menu can be adapted with some notice. all you need to do is ask. We have a beautifully well maintained beer garden a separate function room which you could hire for small functions, business meetings etc.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Were to begin the pub it's self is very clean well set out and easy on the eye with divine smell's coming out of the kitchen but i'll get to that in a minute. The beer and wine selection is as good as any with friendly service and good atmosphere makes it all the more enjoyable. The food the best bit by a country mile cooked to perfection and the choice is wide for example sardines, pork belly and chocolate maze but to name a few.

There are newer reviews for The Treble Tile

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A great place for a proper welcome and good food. Well frequented by people from West Bergholt . Open for just cofffee or full 3 course meal ,great atmosphere and real fire.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having been regular customers years ago it was great to see that the Treble Tile was again a popular gastro-pub with good reviews. Our visit was very disappointing however. The food was very bland and over-priced. Our starters were bland and lacking any 'wow' factor. The chicken, leak and smoked bacon terrine was tasteless and came with no dressing with the orange and fennel salad. The crab tempura was tasteless and badly cooked. The guinea-fowl was plump and moist and was the best part of the meal buy let down by the vegetables that came with it. The desserts were just about OK but again no 'yum' factor. The noise levels are unbelievable if you are seated near the main counter - at least on a Saturday evening although it is of course good to hear people enjoying themselves. Prices are not cheap. Good points - the staff are very friendly and service with a smile. Maybe we just went on the wrong evening but probably won't go back. Sad.

3  Thank graham1EssexEngland
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Returning to the Treble Tile after several years my expectations were high. Now under new ownership it has been receiving favourable reviews and I was hoping it was back to its glory days again. Sadly, this proved not to be the case. Disappointment set in from the moment we arrived. Our table was in the bar area and was akin to being at a noisy party, with waves of diners constantly beside our table, making conversation very difficult.

I'd looked at their 'current' menu on the website only to find that the menu we were given was completely different. If you are going to put a sample menu on the Internet, call it that not our 'current' menu. In my opinion, setting false expectations is something a good restaurant should avoid and in this case I was let down by not being able to have what I'd picked out from the web site menu.

Service was reasonable but noting more but it was the food that I felt really let them down. My starter of Tempura Soft Shell Crab tasted of nothing but tempura batter and rather soggy on the underside, at that. The Asian Slaw served with it was bitter and uninteresting. My dining companions and I all had the guinea fowl main course and that was rather good, plentiful and interesting, with breast, confit leg croquette and pork stuffing. The onion veloute which complemented the dish brought it all together nicely. My only criticism of this dish was that it could have been hotter, probably because it seemed to have been on a cold plate A bottle of Sicilian red was good value at just under £17. Moving on to my dessert of Bakewell Tart and clotted cream, I was left feeling it was one of those puds that are just not worth the calories. It was all rather bland and lacking in the almond flavour you expect of a Bakewell.

All is all, not a thoroughly bad meal but at £35 per head underwhelming in two out of three dishes. The noise and overcrowding of the bar area meant that we ate up and left pretty quickly, feeling that an early return is not on the cards.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was once called The Treble Tile pub, many years ago. It then became The Red Herring , serving mainly fish (clue is in the title) But its now back to The Treble Tile, West Bergholt just outside Colchester.
This really is a fab little place to eat, We had a great Christmad dinner, followed by a intimate dinner for two & last week a great dinner with friends..
The service is great, nothing is too much trouble.. Thank you JoJo ; )
The food is cooked to perfection and portion control is spot on.

I cannot praise this restaurant enough, my partner & I think of ourselves as a couple of foodies & if you love good food,that happens to be reasonably priced (bonus) then you will not be disappointed.

This is almost fine dining but it won't be long before it has a few stars!

All I hope is that the staff & owners stay as they are! We could not fault a thing..This steps up to the mark where The Angel at Stoke fails. Call first as word is getting out how good this place is to avoid disappointment.

P.S The exterior is nothing to shout about but its whats inside that counts!.. Enjoy.

Can't wait to go back