“A very decent place to dine”
Review of Mussi's - CLOSED

Mussi's
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We Are Currently Closed For Refurbishment. Many Thanks
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I went here last week with 6 friends to celebrate my 21st birthday and considering I made the reservation the day before, they were very accommodating. The staff were good considering it was quite busy when we went and the owner was polite too. The pork was incredible according to my friends and the duck was delicious and tender, however the sauce it came with was a tad sweet for my liking. The wine was lovely too and there was a nice ambience in the restaurant. I know it is cheeky to expect, but I would have liked a little treat considering it was my birthday and the owners knew, but I respect that it's unnecessary to do that. Overall a great dining experience and I definitely recommend it.

There are newer reviews for Mussi's

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Mussi's a couple of times and have been thoroughly impressed with the food. Elegant, well cooked and delicious. Although, I have never been impressed with the service and have felt almost unwelcome in the past.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a modern style restaurant inside and on the plate. the food is really interesting with unusual combinations of ingredients. The setting is stylish and the position right in the centre of town. The staff are friendly and very efficient.

1  Thank ann h
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Came here for the first time Thursday lunch time with the sun shining and sat inside and was greeted by a friendly bar lady and male manager and offered us a seat outside if we wanted.

We ordered from the lunch menu rather than the value for money set menu (which was a mistake we think!). We ordered a plain burger & chips and a salad and at approx £8-9 for the burger and £7ish for the salad after a long 45 minute wait we were hugely disappointed. My salad arrived in a small flat bottom dessert bowl, and was more of a side salad than a main course. Luckily I had ordered pitta bread so filled myself up with this as otherwise would have left extremely hungry. The burger was not seasoned and did not arrive plain as requested, and had to send the bun back as was rock hard and demonstrated this to the manager by wacking it on the table, it's okay having a crusty bun but not a solid stale one! It was a mini bun and mini burger so was also short changed on the portion.

Overall hugely disappointed, perhaps only eat here if wanting a small snack or order off set menu as perhaps better value as get starter & hot main or dessert etc, or off the normal a la carte menu (although I think side orders such as chips and veg etc are an extra charge on the normal menu as dont come with the meal).

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have been to this stylish town centre venue many times before, but this is the first occasion I have felt the need to report.
Our meal last night was one of the most enjoyable I have ever had in the town and it really was first class.
My starter of blue swimming crab cake with chipotle mayonnaise was delightful and my Wife thoroughly enjoyed her scallops and pork which arrived on a sizzling iron plate with a small salad to accompany it.
My main course was smoked paprika roasted chicken with a potato rosti served on white bean cassoulet with chorizo and it was truly sensational. My Wife had the Thai fish stew with coconut, jasmine rice and wilted Asian greens, which she again classed as "brilliant"
It is unusual, in my opinion, to find a restaurant where you genuinely could eat and enjoy every starter and main course, but this was certainly true of this menu.
The desserts were also unusual, and those we tried excellent.
With an excellent choice of wines, many by the glass, a super bar for lunchtime snacks and a very attractive outside area in front of Colchester Castle, this is really a venue worth trying.
The staff are good and discreet and all in all it has to be the best food in the town at the moment