“Lovely, but a little expencive”
Review of Mussi's - CLOSED

Mussi's
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We Are Currently Closed For Refurbishment. Many Thanks
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Beautiful restaurant in a side street next to to Colchester castle, ( no car park but disabled parking only at the Castle gates)
Delicous lunch menu but a little expencive @ £13 one course, £17.50 two courses or £22 tree courses but there are quite alot of extra charges, £2- £4 supplement on most of the dishes plus £3 for side orders for veg, potatoes & salad.
Serive was ok but felt the waitress was new & inexperienced, the restaurant was busy & had a lovely atmosphere.
5 of us all enjoyed our family lunch but it was a little inconvenient when the card machine wouldn't work & we needed to find a bank to pay by cash.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We decided on the set menu for £10 for two courses or £12.50 for three. A selection of 3 dishes per course. To start; I had prosciutto of duck. It was too thick, very chewy and tasteless. The others had smoked salmon which they said was good. We then had sea bass on a bed of couscous. Very tasty, but, not much of it. We decided against the desserts. Even at an additional cost, you couldn't chose from another selection.
The choice of wine by the glass was good, as was the wine itself.
Unfortunately the background music, although a good selection in my view, was played rather too loudly over tinny speakers.
One of the people serving smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke, which put me off.
In the past I have had a club sandwich in the bar area. I wold recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have been to Mussi's 4 times this year, and have always enjoyed the food. The steak and the chocolate decadence are particular favorites of mine! There is a great choice (much more than appears online), and I was impressed that when booking a table I was asked for any intolerances etc - it's nice knowing in advance that these will be catered for. They do a set menu but A LOT of things some with an extra charge - I think it is a bit cheeky when sauces for steaks etc are extra.

Last time I went was for a friend's birthday and the staff were really friendly and accommodating, writing 'happy birthday' in chocolate sauce around her desert etc which I thought was a nice touch. However on other occasions I have found the staff 'hover' a bit too much. The owner is friendly, but sometimes I think they come over to the table too much, and too many staff ask if the same thing is ok - or ask before you have even had a chance to try it yet!

Overall I am a fan - I don't think Colchester has that many independent restaurants with tasty, high quality food, so I was very happy when Mussi's opened!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I do eat fairly regularly at Mussi's. If I go on a table of four people I would say that on average most of the people are very satisfied, most of the time. You can get the odd dish which isn't as good as the others but the restaurant is definitely one of the best in Colchester. (I have not tried The Stockwell yet). The fish is usually very imaginatively cooked and is very tasty. I notice that other reviewers have commented on the desserts being watery but I don't usually chose "sloppy creamy desserts" and I recently had the pineapple upside down cake which was great.

I love the service provided. I hate being rushed and dislike the main course arriving too quickly after the starter has been cleared. After all if you are out for the evening it is great for the meal to last at least a couple of hours. The staff are helpful and friendly. It is also a nice place to go for a light lunch particularly in the summer time when you can eat outside and people watch as there are always loads of people walking past to go to the castle.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

What an interesting experience! Six of us visited Mussi's for the first time for a birthday celebration and had a mixed time. We had read some reviews before visiting and most of them are spot on.
We had some seriously good starters, including possibly the plumpest and tastiest king prawns in garlic I have ever tasted.
The main courses were equally as good - for example, excellent belly pork and red mullet.
But the desserts were simply dreadful. A coconut panecotta which had the consistency of soup and absolutely no flavour and cheese which looked as if it had been rationed.
The service was also sloppy. Main course coming out almost as soon as the starters had been cleared, glasses being cleared when they still had water in them and general inattentiveness.
Would we go again? Yes, because the starters and mains were excellent but we would avoid the desserts and if the service wasn't better we would call time on it.
The starters and mains deserve four stars but I've marked it down because of the desserts.
It was also very quiet for a Friday night so the atmosphere wasn't special.