“Good restaurant in Colchester”
Review of Mussi's - CLOSED

Mussi's
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: WE ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT. MANY THANKS
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Already the second time that I have eaten in this restaurant, and I am still really satisfied even if both times I came it was at a busy period ( Christmas time and Saturday evening ).
A good range of meals, perfectly cooked meat, generous portions, friendly staff... Nothing to complain about ! (Except the noise maybe when the restaurant is full, it can be hard to hear what your friends are saying)

Another good point is the lounge in which you can have a drink before or after eating.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went as Mussi's was recommended by a friend. Couldn't fault the decor but the music quietly playing in the background was a bit depressing!! We chose from the lunch menu (3 courses for £12:50) and the starter was so small it was ridiculous, I could have literally ate it before the server had left the table. The food was average overall and my title sums up how we felt about the place.

Our server to be fair was attentive but the guy with the pony tail we found a bit cringey.

We wouldn't go back to be honest.

1  Thank 123wearytraveller
Reviewed February 2, 2013

As the Old Siege House was already fully booked, thought I would give Mussi's a try on Christmas Day. Have often had a bottle of bubbly and nibbles there so seemed sensible.

Greeted with mulled wine and some nice canapés and amuse bouche. Nice touch. Upstairs restaurant was a little quiet but nicely laid out, plenty of space between tables. Starter of smoked trout, egg and caviar very nice indeed. Roast turkey and pork with all the trimmings fantastic and plentiful. Chocolate dessert ace. Petit fours v good, almost too stuffed to enjoy! Really liked the whisky jellies. All given a pretty bag of chocolates too.

Plenty of choice for wine, as it was special day went for Laurent Perrier rose.

Will definitely return for drinks and dinner.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Eight of us decided to eat at Mussi's to celebrate a friend's birthday.We were told in advance that we could only have a table at 6pm or 1030pm and so we arrived at six o'clock to find the restaurant empty.I decided to buy a bottle of champagne - a Pol Roger at £50 which I paid for before it was brought to the table.I assumed that it would be chilled -wrong! It was not chilled.I complained to the manager and the bar man who had sent it over.I was assured that the bottle had been in the chiller cabiinet all day.The almost empty bottle was taken off the table and about five minutes or so later the same bottle was brought back and put at the other end of the table! No apology,no attempt to correct this elementary and unacceptable oversight.We had already decided that we were going to leave no tip.Wrong! Little did we realise that a compulsory tip of £32 was going to be added to the bill !! Then the food .After waiting what seemed like an eternity the starters arrived.Two of us had pigeon breast - we both agreed that it was almost raw but in view of the indifferent attitude of the staff to the champagne debacle we would keep quiet.My main,chilli crab linguine was very good but unexceptional.Two of us had the cheese board.- a very unremarkable selection of three bog standard supermarket cheeses.We were generally disappointed -perhaps they were having a bad night - but that is all it takes to alienate eight customers who have decided that they will not be going back and will not be recommending it to our professional colleagues.

3  Thank LMcL04
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The food was very very good indeed, everything on the menu looked, smelled and tasted excellent (I didnt eat the whole menu obviously but went as a party of several and therefore the dishes did the rounds!). If it were not for the slightly slow and inexperienced service of the waitress I would give it full marks. Definitely recommended and not too expensive either.