“Mind your head”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Mind your head”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

The old part of the hotel is quirky and charming with low ceilings, creaky floors and original beams. I stayed in one of the new (huge) rooms which was quite a walk from reception (219) but had recently been fitted with a beautiful bathroom. The bar food was good, big portions. Staff were all very friendly. Will return to stay again over coming months. I only spotted the underground prison on checkout so will definitely take a look next time!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JennieLear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We had a good stay here , the lady on reception was very friendly and very helpful , the main building I believe dates back to the 15th century and I think would be a great place to stay for either tourists or history lovers. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel and was OK , comfortable and clean , but nothing special , it did the job nicely though for the price paid. Thanks to the lovely receptionist we got a look at the four poster room and the old building executive suites , which look amazing so when we return we will most certainly be staying in one of these as I feel it will enhance our stay. So for the money paid very happy with our room it's competitive with budget hotels, but as the old building is so beautiful we will pay for the upgraded rooms and enjoy the authentic Tudor experience .

Room Tip: Try for rooms in the old building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveyG32
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time last night. Booked a table in the bar (you have to otherwise you may have a wait) and enjoy a fantastic dinner. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the menu was varied but with not too much on it so you lose quality. Starters were tasty and the main courses very good. Well done to everyone we will be back soon.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Can I first start by saying sorry it's taken me so long (been really busy) , the rose and crown is just up the road from and me and my husband visit offten for food in the bar ,love the character and history of the rose and crown , after sitting in there one evening trying to plan our wedding decided where better to have it than here best decision we made , after some enquiries we decided to go ahead with it the 14th November 2013 ,to start with we were going to have it all there ,but in the end we got married at town hall then had wedding breakfast and reception there , but Lisa and her staff were amazing through out ,me and my daughters stayed here the night before and got ready here , there was 4 of us and our room in the main building was much bigger than we expected and in the morning Lisa let us use the bridal suite so we had more room to get ready these rooms are really lovely and I would recommend for a night away , the breakfast is cooked to order always a good thing in my eyes , I had guest stay in the newer part of hotel to and they loved their rooms , but most of all we had an amazing wedding with amazing food and service , every guest at my wedding around 60 of them loved the food and all had an amazing day but lots of them asked me to thank the staff for such a lovely day , so to Lisa and shareen and all your staff thank you so much for our wonderfull wedding and for putting up with me and doing my tables exactly how I wanted them and thank you from my guest for treating them like royalty you gave us a day we will never forget x

Room Tip: I love the charecter of the main building but all rooms are of very good standard
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Rose & Crown on Saturday 4th Jan with 3 friends. We stayed 2 per double room. Upon arrival we were greeted by the hotel manager, a friendly lady who gave us a quick welcome and explained about dinner, breakfast and wifi. The rooms were as expected, the usual bed, wardrobe and dressing table. The room we stayed in was clean and tidy and bathroom very spacious. We only really used the hotel as a place to sleep as we were visiting colchester for an event. The wifi ran on good speed and was easy to connect to. The bed was very comfy and there was no outside noise, for a saturday night we were pleasantly surprise. Overall a nice hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff, all at a very reasonable price.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel has a nice olde-worlde feel to it, with beams and slightly creaky floors. All staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. I booked a single room, wasn't charged a single supplement, and was offered the opportunity to upgrade to a larger room when I arrived. The room (206) was comfortable, warm and had everything I needed (including decent wifi), though there was a bit of traffic noise at night. The bathroom was large, clean and had a wonderfully hot shower. The English breakfast was perhaps a little undercooked but perfectly edible, and the food in the bar was delicious, though thin on vegetarian options.

Location-wise, I didn't explore whilst in Colchester so I don't know how accessible the town centre would be, but it was only a short taxi or bus ride from the train station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo