“Charming historic building”

Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our family of five stayed here for three nights. It was as historic as it looks, with floors and walls at odd angles. I constantly had to stoop to not hit my head on the beams in our room, but that's what you expect in such a building. The car park was small, but we always just managed to squeeze in. There was an overflow car park around the corner.
Staff were friendly and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 7, 2012

i had read the reviews recently especially about the problems with the locals and as i have my wedding here next year was concerned so i decided to check it out, My friend and i had a lovely meal and there wasnt any smells or problems with sewage. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. It has put my mind at rest and i can defintely recommend eating here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Arrived in the sunshine to oldie world building greeted by lovely receptionist who told us we were upgraded to excecutive room with 4 poster bed. Room large and very clean aswell as en suite very warm though. I would highly recommend this quaint hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My missus and I stayed two nites bed and breakfast in a standard double room . We both loved the old charm of the building and the room, though a little bit frayed round the edges, was adequate for our needs.The bar and dining areas were pleasant and the staff were helpful and smiley. We strongly recommend the food at this hotel, we had planned to dine in the the town centre but were really suprised by the high quality meals in the hotel, that much that we dined there both evenings.
Would also recommend a stroll round colchester town centre, very nice with a good selection of shops and bars.

Room Tip: some rooms like ours are at one end of the hotel and are quite a walk up and down stairs
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business and on check in found the place quite dark with a slight musty smell. Not totally unexpected for an ancient building. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The rooms are not very big and I am glad the double bed was just for me so I could sleep on the diagonal (they are quite small). Ther were some damp spores around the ceiling in the bathroom (room 217) which I hope the hotel will action.

All that said, the hotel location is excellent for the town centre and there is free parking. The room was clean and comfortable and the TV and free WiFi service were both good. I would recommend a room not directly over the road to avoid noise. I overlooked gardens in 217 and it was very quiet while my colleague in 216 next door overlooked the road and was woken by traffic a few times.

The real high point was the bar and the food. We went to the bar and found a table. Ten minutes later we would have been in trouble as it was packed by half seven on a Monday night. A good omen. The cask ale (ask for a pint of Broadside) is spectacular and the food was nothing short of excellent. We had a selection from the neibbles menu rather than starters and one had belly pork while the other lamb cutlets. These were incredible (probably the best belly port I have had)!

The quality of the brekfast the next morning was also excellent and served to order rather than buffet.

I would definitely stay here again as I can put up with the small bed and musty smell for that bar, the friendly service and the food.

Room Tip: Try avoid being by the road if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AndK
Reviewed July 8, 2012

In fairness, the polite receptionist did his best, despite also dealing with an American family who had inadvertently had one of their rooms cancelled (a transatlantic linguistic mistake I believe - apparently a "twin" room in the US is what we refer to as a "single"; I'll leave the reader to judge the most logical of the terms). However, there really can be no excuse to checking us in to a room which had not been made up, with dirty towels on the floor, a filthy loo and bed sheets everywhere. Apparently, housekeeping takes 8 hours, yet check-out is at 11am and check-in from 2pm, which means that the housekeeper doesn't have time to clean all the rooms. The comment that "all the rooms which have already been cleaned are allocated to people who haven't checked in yet - isn't that typical" I found mind-boggling. The staff are ok, the room (once clean) is bearable, if not great value. Where Best Western need to focus is on making it easier for reception staff to re-allocate guests to made-up rooms, and planning their resources for the not unpredictable scenario of early check-ins on a Saturday during wedding season. A disappointing stay that does nothing for the Best Western brand

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lugga
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Booked a stay as we were visiting family and friends in the Essex area. The general appearance of this character hotel appealed as my partner and I have always appreciated old buildings. The staff appeared professional and greeted us satisfactory. We entered a very small room which had no character whatsoever it was quite modern but also grubby the grouting on the tiles needed attention. There was no toiletries either. as we travel light we didnt pack shower gels etc as we have never come across a hotel that did not atleast supply a bit of soap, no wash clothes. just two hand towels and two bath towels. No slippers or dressing growns either. Bed was a double but relatively small and the view disappointing - a car park! After showering I trod on a grape that was there from the previous people staying so I wonder how thoroughly this room is cleaned between stays. We got a reduced rate online but if we had paid the £109 asking price advertised we would have been outraged even the £59 seemed too much. Ive stayed in much better for much less.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Suffice to say, I am extremely disappointed to hear of your obvious dissatisfaction.

Whilst we continuously strive to give the necessary training to our Reception and housekeeping team, to ensure that guests enjoy their stay , it is obvious that we need to re-visit checking procedures to prevent this from happening again.

I have read your letter, and subsequently I have had the opportunity to investigate your experience further.
We have a maintenance program in place to prevent certain aspects of our furniture and decoration to deteriorate.

I apologize for the shortfalls and I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our standards on a future occasion.

My email address is: RSanta-Rita@rose-and-crown.com