“Room ok, breakfast far too slow”

George Hotel of Colchester
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I had a single room which was small but comfy, I had a very good night's sleep. The following morning I went down for breakfast. When travelling with work I like breakfast to be a quick affair so that I can get on with the day's work. The George cook to order, which is fine, but it was very slow. I waited 30 mins for a basic order, and when it came it was wrong. In the meantime I was offered tea from a teapot which does the rounds of the room, which was very stewed and really not nice.

It would be better to let people help themselves to tea and coffee, or provide a teapot for each table where needed. Breakfast orders need to come out in 10 mins or so.

If I stayed again I would do room only and go out to get a quick breakfast.

I have to mention that the staff in the breakfast room were very friendly and did their best.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank griangraf2001

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Despite possible access problems. There is no lift and steep stairs to bedrooms. I decided to book for a weeks stay, because of its superb location in the centre of town
I have a mobility problem, but with occasional help from the great staff, I managed to get around without too much difficulty.

Positives.
Really great helpful and cheerful staff.
Breakfasts, possibly the best I have enjoyed over years of travel. Even at 7am, the staff greeted everyone with a bright comment, and as the food was so enjoyable, a great start to the day.
Bar area. Always busy, yet no problem getting quick
Service.
Negatives.
I had a bedroom at the front of the hotel. On Friday and Saturday night I found it difficult to get to sleep because of talking and shouting in the street below. On Saturday this went on until 3am.
There is an unusual location for electric plug sockets. These are on the floor, under metal plates, at the foot of the bed. Because of this, I did not use the electric kettle provided,
Evening meals in the restaurant were a disappointment. Although to be fair, after an excellent breakfast and outside lunch I didn't feel hungry, and usually settled for a starter and dessert. When I used it early in the evening, there were only two or three other tables in use, so it lacked atmosphere. On two occasions I had a poached pear for dessert. On both times it was undercooked. The second, so hard, I found it difficult to cut into with a spoon.

Would I stay again?
A really great helpful staff. Always there when needed.
As I made my slow way up the stairs to the the bedroom, as if by magic, a staff member would appear to give assistance if required.

Would I still choose a room overlooking the High street.
Again yes. But I would avoid if possible, staying at the weekend.
In summary. Great staff, good location and interesting building.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Frederick M
Denise E, General Manager at George Hotel of Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay at The George Hotel.

I will certainly pass on your kind comments to my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The hotel is gorgeous on entering - a period building with lovely beams & comfy chairs. We checked in on a Sunday & they were serving a carvery roast dinner which smelt great. The receptionist was very friendly when checking us in.
Our room was part of an extension to the original building. The fixtures & fittings were very dated & a bit tired looking. The room was clean in the main but the condition of the room was a bit of a let down after the great entrance. The hotel is on the high street & is a great base for exploring the town & the castle. It could all do with a lick of paint though!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2014

On reading the reviews we nearly didnt come to the george.Im glad we did ,yes it is an old hotel and a little in need of some updating,but rooms are clean warm and bright.Staff could not be more helpfull,the breakfast was great and the waitress in the morning was 100% couldnt ask for a nicer person.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We were going to this hotel as part of a large function, and having read some previous reviews we were a little aprehensive. When we got to the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised!

The hotel is a very old building and as such has lots of stairs but this adds to the charm. The previous reviews slamming the hotel because of this were entirely unfair. If you don't like old buildings, stay elsewhere but don't complain about it! We loved it.

Staff were ultra helpful and delightful, the food was excellent. Great place to stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We visit this hotel on a weekly basis, to use the bar area and to have lunch. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We also hosted an event and hired to rooms for a wedding party. The staff we amazing, and the food was fantastic. We had the £10 per head menu and were able to choose dishes we wanted, and there was more than enough food per person, something that was a concern, but my mind was put at rest. We also hired a number of rooms for our guests and we didn't have any issues there either. Louise the lady that helped with our booking did all she could to make it a great event, and the manager Denise was popping in during the set up to make sure we have everything we needed. The main star at the George is Anthony , and what a great guy he is!! Warm and friendly with everyone, I would defiantly recommend the the George to anyone wanting to host a party, or to use its lounge area, as it's comfy , great food

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Janie1969
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I were recently in Colchester town centre waiting for our car service to be completed. We have a German Shepherd puppy and consequently found ourselves pretty much barred from every cafe and pub we tried. We were getting cold and hungry so in desperation I walked into the reception of The George and asked whether we were able to come in, fearing another rejection.
"Of course you can! Please come in - does your puppy want a bowl of water?"
What a pleasant surprise!
We were able to sit in a corner near the fire (this was a few weeks ago now!) and order a drink.
The downstairs bar/tea room area was busy and bustling and there was a warm atmosphere.
Eli, our dog, is well behaved and promptly lay at our feet and settled down. In fact he was a bit of a star and a number of hotel guests and visitors in the vat made a fuss of him.
The staff were really friendly and in fact I decided to stay for a bite to eat whilst the missus went and did a bit more shopping.
I can't rate this highly enough if you are looking for a coffee or lunchtime snack and by the looks of the custom the locals already know this. I can't comment on the quality of the rooms as we weren't staying.
Thanks to all and we'll definitely be back! Eli can't wait!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family