“Good location”

George Hotel of Colchester
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The hotel is slap bang in the middle of everything. The food at the brasserie is ok although wiv the pork there was far too much mash and the vegetables were too hard. I couldnt eat it all and it seemed a waste. The rooms are very clean and spacious.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was travelling for business and brought my partner and 2-year-old daughter with me.

The George is a great location in the very centre of Colchester's high street, easily accessible by bus or taxi. The building is beautiful with parts dating back to the 14th century. Full of character.

The room was small but clean and comfortable. Fixtures and fittings were mostly quite old but all in working order. The only complaint I have is that the travel cot they provided had seen better days - it was old and the fabric was quite stained and ripped in places. They should invest in a new one, it's not very expensive!

The shower was ok, water pressure and temperature a bit hit and miss but it's such an old building, it doesn't really matter. The bathroom was also small but they provided nice toiletries and the towels were soft.

Service was generally good and friendly. The wi-fi was free and worked fine.

The breakfast was excellent with a wide range of foods, cooked breakfast very good and a lovely dining room to sit in.

It is a shame that the bar closed so early (11pm) as I brought some colleagues back for a drink and we were turned away as it was 10.55.

Although it's right in the centre of town, we had a room at the back and it was very quiet and peaceful.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A special treat while visiting from NZ. The hotel may be creaky but it has been around for quite a while so one has to be a bit forgiving. I am having to write this review at a hotspot away from the hotel as for some reason The George has blocked Tripadvisor on their wifi! Our main comments would be about the reception at checkin. Although officially check in is 2 pm surely if a room is available then why not let us in. That aside, the young man who did the checking in really didnt welcome us but was quite dismissive. At checkin this is an ideal opportunity for the staff to upsell and promote the facilities. The redeaming member of staff was Anthony. Without him our stay would have been very disappointing. The managment must realise that the professionalism of the staff in customer relations is paramount. The George cannot survive on its creaks and quirks alone. A welcome smile and more Anthony's will do wonders.

Room Tip: Room 203 matress has rolltogether. Great if you're in love! The rooms at the rear of the hote...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well, ill start by saying I don't give negative opinions lightly. When we arrived at the check-in , we were greeted by the reception, where we had a pre-booked reservation we asked her too confirm the whole price to pay, she stated the room was £84, puzzled we asked why their own website was advertising a price of £73. She confusingly stated that their tariffs changed by the minute and that we must pay £84 still we asked why the website is saying £73 (we checked on-line on the phone literally 5 minutes beforehand) and still to no avail they would not adjust the price. This point becomes a sore point as we walk through the hotel to our room (second floor room: 207). In all fairness if people like "old world" creaky, slanting hotels which I think a hotel inspector would have trouble passing on health and safety grounds by all means that's fine, but it was disorientating. Entering the room, again in all fairness it was clean, but the furniture, which I believe were cheap versions of "Tudor" furniture were chipped scratched and dated. The window also was cracked. Breakfast the next morning, (the next point was not the hotels fault but could be looked into) we were a group of 10+ all on a long table with 1 waitress taking coffee/tea / breakfast orders, she was getting very confused and when breakfast was finally cooked , it was greasy and enjoyable. The redeeming factor however was after breakfast me and my partner ordered coffee, which was the best espresso I have had in years. The absolute redeeming factor is the bar drinks prices / morning coffee prices, they are very cheap and the bar staff are very pleasant and seemed happy to be there.

Room Tip: Apparently (although I didn't see any) the best rooms are on the top floor facing away from the...
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were looking for a place to eat and we walked into the George Hotel. The staff were brilliant and we had a large range menu to chose from. The service was prompt and last but not least the food was good. I would recomend it to anyone who wanted a comfortable seat with reasonably priced food in surroundings with some history.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is an ancient hotel with lots of character. Our room was comfortable and well-equipped with flat-screen TV, tea, coffee, biscuits, ironing board, hair dryer etc. It was quiet even though it overlooked the car park, the latter being a considerable asset in a town where parking is difficult. The room had seen better days, but this did not really detract from our stay, and more importantly it was clean, apart from the shower curtain, which had acquired a pinkish hue from being old and only infrequently washed. There were a couple of light bulbs out in the bathroom, which should have been picked up on a routine inspection. Ridiculously, a chandelier hung only 5ft from the floor at the foot of the bed and we bashed our heads on this several times. However, any shortcomings were more than compensated for by the central location, the free car park and the friendliness of the staff. The full English breakfast was also very good. Colchester Corporation should take steps to improve their signage. The High Street, where the George is located, was made as difficult as possible to find. Colchester itself is well kept, with excellent floral displays in the Castle Park and an interesting Dutch Quarter. Pizza Express, which is located in the latter, gave excellent service with friendly, efficient staff. The High Street is rather grand and has a big city feel. Places to visit locally include Constable Country and Mersea Island, which is uncommercialised and has pleasant coastal walks. Cudmore Grove Country Park at East Mersea is well worth a visit. Picturesque Wivenhoe has some startlingly good modern housing (Poundbury-on-Sea) and a pleasant river-front pub, the Rose and Crown.

Room Tip: Stay at the back, away from the High Street. The more modern rooms have aircon but the older sectio...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband & I, along with my sister-in-law visited the hotel for lunch on Thursday 9th August on my recommendation, having dined & stayed there some years ago (I currently live overseas). Unfortunately our visit was to say the least very disappointing & embarrassing for myself as I had recommended it.
My husband & sister-in-law ordered the burger, chips etc, I had the sausage & mash, all three meals were of a very poor standard, they were luke warm, the sausages were poor quality, as were the burgers, needless to say we left a lot of the meal, we were not asked if we would like more drinks, condiments etc, the waitress didn't have a clue what she was doing, when asked what beers she had on the pump, she replied 'I don't know - I'm new!!!!' She didn't receive support from senior members of staff, which in my professional opinion (having worked in hospitality) was surprising. On leaving the restaurant we were not spoken to neither did anyone query why a lot of food was left on our plates. Very poor service. However the surroundings were as delightful as I had remembered - having said that you can't expect to trade on your name alone, standards should be kept to a high standard at all times.
I sincerely hope my words will be heeded & the appropriate staff will be advised of this review & problems acted on.