“Hotel full of Character, a comfortable stay”

Brook Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Very old hotel, full of character. All staff we met were very helpful. The hotel was clean. We stayed in room 7, the only one with a four poster bed !! Room very pretty. The only downside was both the floor and bed were very creaky !!!! Guess thats what you get from such an old hotel with period furniture !! Room was also very warm ( even in March !!) our only window faced the indoor staircase and was sealed shut so we couldnt get any fresh air !!!! Also no seperate shower, but a shower head over the bath. The water was very hot .Breakfast was lovely and plentiful. The evening meal was ok. cooked and presented well but not a great deal of choice. Overall a nice stay, situated smack bang in the center of town within easy walking distance of bars, restuarants and clubs. I would go back !!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Brook Red Lion Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2010

was glad to see they are finally investing some time and money in this place, maintenance had left a note in my room saying they were making their way around the rooms and place seemed cleaner than previous visits. not sure if had a new owner or not?

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I came to stay here one Friday evening to stay after a live gig. My boyfriend had always wanted to come and stay here, as this was billed as one of the best places to stay, with it's historic charm and supposed hauntedness...

On arrival, we parked at the near-ish by Osbourne Car Park which is approx 10 minute walk if you know where you're going. Fortunately my boyfriend knew, otherwise I would have been wandering for ages. This costs £8.50 for 24hrs.

I checked us in and saw that we were being given a Twin room rather than a Double room. I asked for a Double room but the lady at reception said this wouldn't be possible but we can push the beds together to make it a double. No apology and no offer to help with this. Left feeling a bit miffed.

Beds
When we got to the hotel room I moved the beds together. One of the headboards wasn't attached to the bed and was propped up against the wall.

Bathroom
I wasn't convinced by it's complete cleanliness. Then saw why. I noticed surface dust on the toilet roll holder and in the corner behind the door under the ceiling was a build up of fluff dust!

If you're hoping to have a nice shower, think again. I appreciate that this is an old building that dates back to the 15th century, however it is very hard to get a warm temperature. It goes from either very hot or very cold. I spent a long time in the shower braving the very hot, then the very cold whilst trying to find a happy medium. The next morning, when going to brush my teeth, I ran the cold tap, only for very hot water to come out! Had to run it for about a minute and a half until it was safe.... I could have burned my mouth. A warning in the bathroom about this would have been nice.

Facilities
If like me you need coffee in the morning to get you going, don't bother with this place. The satchets in the basket by the kettle were all decaff!

Noise
We weren't disturbed too much by any noise apart from the hoover outside the door at 8.30am on Saturday morning.

Kindly, they provide you with bed covers, towels and a television to get you through the experience! Location wise it's very good.. Check out Sloppy Joe's American Restaurant which is about a mins walk along the main street by the hotel.

Cannot comment on breakfast as we were not prepared to have it there. I can highly recommend a cafe called Timbers, though who cook great vegetarian food as well! Highly impressed but sadly I can't find them online to direct you to them. This was approx 5 min walk from the hotel down one of the back streets.

Oh, and we didn't spot any ghosts of 'Alice Miller.'

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
BrookHotels, Operations Director Brook Hotels at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2010

IMy sincere apologies foryour dissapointment. I have received your email to the hotel and will respond to you directly. I am at the Red Lion today with our new General Manager and new maintenance man who have as their top priority handling the maintenance and cleanliness issues you have highlighted.

Reviewed January 21, 2010

I have recently stayed at the Red Lion in Colchester which was booked by our Admin which was a god send as if i had made a personal payment i would have been even less impressed than i already was. My room (24) on arrival looked appealing even after passing an incredibly poor standard of interior throughout the hotel with it's holes in the walls covered with masking tape which had then painted over, light fixings hanging from walls, lights u/s, dust/grime on skirting boards etc, i understand the hotel dates back to 1463 but update your interior!

The room was also to dissapoint. Holes in the East facing bedroom wall where a framed picture had once been, the smell of sick next to the corner of the bed, dust/grime on the skirting boards, nail clippings and an unbelieveable amount of dust behind the bed(s) which did not have their headboards attached and just stood their on the floor and a light that was obviously broken and wished to be attached correctly to the wall again! The toilet, where do we start......................urine stains on bowl and around base of toilet, cheap wooden toilet roll holder hanging from the wall and just below the two rawl plugs still visible from the last holder that had managed to escape. A very poor shower head and shower system, tap attachment, that just did not have enough pressure to generate a reasonable spray/shower and finally the mould on the silicone behind the taps and around the bath which matched the dirty brown/orange stained shower curtain. I have the photos! To cap it all and after a restless night, my colleagues and i were met by a shocking breakfast. Grey/green coffee which went untouched, Eggs underdone and
penny sized tinned mushrooms graced our plates. Not one breakfast was eaten by my colleagues or myself during our two day venture.

I am more than certain that this was not an isolated problem as the rooms frequented by my colleagues were also of poor quality. A Double/twin room is £105 and for the condition of the room(s) and hotel i find this disgusting and personnally shocked that the a company would expect its paying customers to pay for what is in essence over priced, sub-standard accommodation. What is the hotel manager being payed for...........

Stay away, stay away.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank rafbn
BrookHotels, Brook Hotels Operations Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2010

The Red Lion now has a new General Manager who has a very clear brief on ensuring that cleaniness and upkeep of the property are his major focus.
In addtion we have appointed a new maintainence man and increased the housekeeping team. We are very sorry and extremely dissapointed that any of our clients have had such a poor experience and we are committed to making sure that this does not happen again.

Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed here on a Saturday night in a first floor room at the front of the hotel. Our room was right on the High Street with two clubs across the street and a taxi rank outside. We got in at about 1am from a party and in between the pubbers and clubbers staggering about and a market setting up on the Sunday morning there were about 3 hours where it was quiet. The rest of the time I felt as if I was sleeping out on the street. Apart from these things, the room was fine and the reception staff were helpful. This hotel has character and I wanted to like it as it makes a nice change from bland chain hotels. However, I wouldn't recommend it at a weekend unless you can guarentee a room away from the High Street.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AuntiePaich
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Some people are never satisfied. If you stay in a hotel built in 1400 you have got to expect it to look and feel tired. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was empty so we were expecting the food to suffer but it was outstanding and excellent value. True the noise from the High street was constant the bed was hard and it could have been cleaner but if we wanted a quiet hotel with new furnishings we would have picked a modern hotel in the country. We wouldn’t hesitate staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed at the Red Lion because we were attending a wedding nearby. The location in the heart of Colchester is good, but there is no parking which adds extra cost and walking time to your stay.

The bed wasn't very comfortable and the shower was not wonderful. Since these are, for me, the two most important factors when choosing a hotel, this hotel doesn't score well.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank misterberry