“Staff think they are a cut above their guests!!!!!”

Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Colchester, Kingsford Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Staff are rude unattentive and lacking in every area. Treatments are rushed and not that good quality plus products used are/ feel cheap.

4  Thank Zara-Mark1966
There are newer reviews for Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Colchester, Kingsford Park

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I visited as part of a small group after seeing a good deal on Internet (£50 each use of spa facilities for day, manicure, back neck and shoulder, facial and two course lunch ) had we not of got this deal and paid the prices shown I would not of been impressed. To start our day we were taken through to the dining area where we had our day explained to us felt a bit like a school trip with clip boards being handed out and a rushed group speech! We were given towels, robes and slippers my robe and towel both had make up Staines on them. We had our treatments which we're lovely manicure a bit rushed which resulted in nail polish bubbling on every finger but was treated well by my therapist Louise who made me feel at ease and relaxed, she remained professional through out and treated me how I would expect to be treated as a customer :-) the wet area of the spa consists of two pools, a Luke warm jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and aromatherapy room. To be honest my gym has better wet area. As other reviews state the chairs around the pools are wooden and not somewhere comfortable to relax. We also had a silky scalp treatment I would not reccomend this to anyone especially people with long hair!!! This consisted of someone rubbing oil around my hair line and poking my arms! They rubbed the "treatment" around the front on my hair line and left 95% of my scalp untreated at £36 I was very very disappointed considering two of our party were hairdressers they two did not class it as a scalp treatment. My main issue was with the percentage of the girls immaturity and poor customer service, as we were leaving a member of my party complained about a therapists phone ringing thought out her hour treatment, the therapist was then impersonating her client behind her back while the other members of staff all giggled including the receptionist who was taking the complaint .. Custom is not appreciated, would not return a lot better spas out there, with everything this spa is lacking + more! Try greenwoods in stock visited many times and never disappointed!

3  Thank l479b
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I visited Clarice house Colchester today with friend who have been with before and her daughters, overall i would say we had a nice day but there were just a few niggles which i do not think should have happened, first on booking our day we asked for treatments to be spread apart because we would have liked to upgraded to longer treatments but were told this was not possible so we had all three treatments clumped together starting at 10.30 in morning, during our welcome we were given a leaflet with a buy one get one free offer, if we booked before we left we could also apply £10 OF VOUCHER so it was such a great deal and good idea for christmas present so at £60 A BARGAIN we kept asking if that was for two people and absolutley assured yes, so it was sold between us we were going to buy four packages what a bargain we thought, that was untill you come to purchase it and we told that was totally not true and should not have been told that, the other was to have silk head wrap another october special offer at half price £17.50 so suddenly they have four free appointments for afternoon, yes we would have this offer, then when we went to book it was,nt that they had got in a muddle and it was £26.50, although after debate this was honoured at £17.50 but i would,nt bother it was a complete waste of money with the product only applied to front hairline so no way went through all hair. Another gripe was our morning treatment of neck massage and facial they double you up and put you in a double room so you are aware of other therapist asking other person about there skin and also we both heard a mobile phone continuosly vibrating during whole treatment so not relaxing at all. To sum up our day good company but not the relaxing day anticipated with a lot of conflicting advice about offers and feel shared rooms are ideal for couples but not personal enough however good your friendships and should be given the option if you mind. Didnt live up to expectation dissappointed .

4  Thank elladavis
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I went as part of a hen group on the 15th september 2012. We were told to get there half hour before our first treatment which was at 9am so we arrived at 8:30am. We told them who we were and were shown into the dining area where we ordered drinks. A woman came and spoke to a member of our group and 2 "spa groups" were sorted for the treatments. As we waited for someone to direct us what to do we realised it was 9:05 so our "leader" asked someone what to do, we were pointed in one direction, then ushered back to be given our towel and robe, then told to change. Without actually being told or shown where to change! Once we'd found it, it was then 9:15 and someone was telling us we were very late for our treatments, a facial followed by a manicure. So we went in for our 30 min facial at 9:15, and came out at 9:30...... then for our 30 min manicure at 9:35 and came out at 9:50......

As you can tell we were so unimpressed by this! we had paid £70 for 2 treatments and a lunch and we might has well not bothered! We were never even given a tour and had to find our way to the "relaxing spa" by ourselves! Which had not enough beds round the side and was very busy. Now i might sound like im whinging but what happened next really pushed us all over the edge!

We had our lunch table booked for 13:15 and had ordered our lunch in the morning, we'd all made sure we were dry and ready for lunch at our allotted time. So we went to the dining area to be told to wait 10 mins, no problem, then we went back, another 10 mins. Then by 2pm we were all very angry so we went and stood in the dinner hall and waited. Where we were told the it was all the fault of the facials etc running late, well they cant have been running that late as our group and another we spoke too had been rushed through! we eventually sat down about 2:15pm. To give the restraunt staff credit we were given a free drink and they were very friendly but our whole experienced was soured.

I can officially say i will never go back

5  Thank jessiewitham
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Visited for the first (and last) time today 29/9/12.
Odd booking process - extra charge of £2 for special delivery of your voucher (which you are liable for if it's lost in the post). Received phone call evening before to remind me to bring the voucher/e-mail etc. Not sure why their system can't see that you've booked/paid without you giving them a voucher that they already have a copy of...
Very busy and chaotic booking process, we were told they'd changed the process to avoid so many people standing at reception - polite tip, don't accept so many bookings if you can't handle booking everyone in when they arrive at the time YOU state!!!
Told to book extra treatments at reception, which we did & paid for - only to be told by the staff in the 'lounge' reception that this wasn't possible & we should have booked through them - cue many trips back & forth to reception. Seem by lots of different staff, had to repeatedly ask for robes. Overall treatments were good if a little rushed. Starters for lunch were good but the mains (pork belly) were mostly fat, whilst some is expected with pork - I expected more than one mouthful of meat. Hot drinks are expensive, water available free all day. Scones for afternoon tea were not fresh & had been reheated several times making them inedible.
Very few places to sit and relax - tiny waiting area, all sat like cattle in towelling robes. As for the robes if you're anything bigger than a size 14 - take your own as the CH ones are tiny. Plus check if they are included in your package - if not you can't rent them and have to buy them at £20 each.
Reception staff were very rude & could do with a lesson in customer service. Overall I got the impression that they were not worried about my custom. Very much a 'can't be bothered' attitude from reception. The treatments redeemed the day but don't think we'll return.

My advise go elsewhere where you'll hopefully be treated as a valued customer.

2  Thank EJS1975