All reviews beefeater next door busy road a ground floor room happily stay again room was clean train station the pub plenty of parking good size family room nice stay tea and coffee receptionist inns mel whitbread asda
Selected filters
Reviewed February 3, 2018

I stayed here one night for business recently. The two ladies on the reception desk were absolutely brilliant. I am disabled, but because my company uses another company to make our hotel bookings, these facts are not generally communicated to the hotel. So when I arrived I had to ask if they could accommodate me in a ground floor room as there are no lifts at this hotel. The lady on reception could not be more helpful and swapped me from the room I was supposed to be in to a ground floor room and immediately told me if anything was not to my satisfaction to come and tell her.

My room was spotlessly clean and the bed was new and comfortable. I did need one more towel, and when I asked for one it was given to me straight away by the second lady who was on duty. Both of these lovely ladies made time for a brief chat whenever I went through reception and unlike many people they actually seem to genuinely care about their job and their guests and take pride in getting things right. This is very unusual and they should be complimented on their wonderful customer care.

The first lady booked me a table for dinner and also breakfast. My meals in the Beefeater next door were served quickly and were very tasty. The staff there were also excellent, albeit the gentleman on at breakfast had to be prompted to take my order, but when he did the food arrived very quickly. There was a great choice and everything was satisfactory except the toaster which like most hotels only offers the setting of 'completely uncooked' or 'burnt to a crisp'.

There was plenty of parking on site, no noise outside, and the hotel is fully air conditioned. It was very easy to find and extremely convenient if you need to be in Colchester for a meeting as I did.

Overall this was a great example of a good Premier Inn and I would not hesitate in recommending it.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed January 23, 2018

Stayed overnight for a family funeral it was perfectly situated for all areas of Colchester. Food was great Room was great. No complaints as the staff in the hotel and resteraunt were so obliging Can't say much more but will carry on filling the form until it accepts my review

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

You know what your going to get. Room was clean, room was quiet and good staff. Tv worked. We didn't need anything else. Walking distance to town which is good. Would stay here again. Easy to get to from the a12 as well.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2017 via mobile

Another hotel I late checked into and got out early the following day.
I stay in at least two hotels each week, so the review is based upon the chain.

Good size tv
Old fashioned furniture in the room.
Cold room even with ac.
Noisy bathroom fan
Rooms still use keys

Needs modernisation

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank haltoi01
Reviewed December 13, 2017

Having booked the room 2 weeks before, I arrived here on Friday 8h January at about 4.15pm. Having booked, and having stayed here 2-3 times before over the past 12-15 months. I believed I knew how it worked. I knew the cost of my stay including breakfast, and I ensured that I had that money. I handed the receptionist the cash, and she asked me if I had a passport or driving licence. I don't drive for medical reasons, and I can't afford holidays overseas so I don't have a passport either. I asked to speak to the manager, I explained that I had a letter from the NHS which had my name and address on it, which given they had those details on my booking, should have been sufficient as far as ID is concerned. In addition I had an ATM card with my name on it too. I was told that wasn't enough, and that only a passport or driving licence would be acceptable. I had travelled down on the train from Halifax to visit my elderly mother who is in a local residential care home., Now I had nowhere to stay the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night. I suffer with my back and right knee joints, I was tired and sore from my journey. Luckily I found another more obliging local hotel, who were happy to take my cash and the NHS and ATM card ID. As I say I had stayed here many times before and had never experienced this. I will NEVER use another Premier Inn ever again. I will write a seperate review on the much better hotel just up the road from this unfriendly establishment.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank William S
WhitbreadHotels, Premier Inn Team at Premier Inn Colchester Cowdray Avenue (A133) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2018

Hi William

Thanks for taking the time to share your review.

I'm sorry to read of your experience when trying to check in to the hotel.

For any guests paying in cash, our hotel teams will ask for ID of which a passport, driving licence, ID card or police warrant card would be acceptable.

As you weren't able to provide any of the above, unfortunately the team would have been unable to check you in and I apologise for any disappointment and inconvenience caused by this.

We do provide this information on our website under the FAQs and also on the card details page, including the types of ID that will be accepted, so I'm sorry if this was missed.

I'll certainly pass your comments on to our Brand & Policy Team for their consideration and we hope this hasn't put you off booking with us in future.

Kind Regards