“Another Brilliant Stay Here”

Premier Inn Colchester Cowdray Avenue (A133) Hotel
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Well this was our 3rd stay in 3yrs. We have used this Premier for a base so we can go from here to attend our annual Regimental Reunion. We used to use another hotel which closed down and one which we were very fond of. We never thought we could find another like it but in fact we have been very lucky because the Premier Is by far much superior. Starting with check in the staff are superb. An example was on this visit my friends I travelled with had forgot to ask for a ground floor room as my friends had a mobility problem and had been allocated a room upstairs
I on the other hand had been allocated a ground floor room for myself alone. After consulting the check in staff they allowed us to swap and they rearranged the type of sleeping set up. The rooms were excellent and I like the upgrade of the TV since the year before. The restaurant and bar staff were their usual excellent selves for service, and done with a smile. I will finish by saying well done Premier Inn once again for another great visit.

Room Tip: If you have a disability be sure to book a ground floor room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Colchester Cowdray Avenue (A133) Hotel

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We travel quite a lot and I must say that this premiere inn was by far the nicest. complete with wet room. The staff were really helpful and the restaurant was very nice indeed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, I also like the CCTV in the Car Park which meant that I could leave my golf clubs in the car and know they were safe.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with friends. The staff are all really good, efficient, helpful and friendly, especially Steph. I shared a twin room with a friend, but it was made up as one double bed and a sofa bed. I would normally expect twin beds. Most hotels these days have a double that can be split if twin beds are required. An additional sofa bed is great if a family room is required. Strangely, a single friend was allocated a "family" room and her's was identical to ours.
Breakfast next door at the Beefeater was good. The first morning we had to wait to be seated, curiously while one member of staff wandered around with a feather duster looking for cobwebs! That morning the restaurant was seriously understaffed. Both mornings we had to ask for various items on the buffet to be replenished. The second morning there were more staff and we opted for the cooked breakfast. It was excellent, full marks to the chef. Good value for money too.
All in all a pleasant stay and I would certainly stay again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here with a small group of friends when we decided to make a weekend of it at a friends daughters christening.

Everything was perfect, a friend had recommended the hotel because of its location. We recieved a text the day before to remind us of the booking and all got a call the morning of from reception, to make sure that everything was OK and we knew where we were going. We arrived mid morning, not expecting to be able to check in. Reception took our bags and promised they would put them in our rooms once they became available. We arrived back at 6ish to be pick up our room keys and freshen up. Bags were in the rooms as promised, and they even hung my coat up!

Room was clean and tidy. Bed comfy. Everything (and more) that you would expect from a Permier Inn.

Staff couldn't do more, and really made our stay enjoyable. They remembered that we were at a Christening and going to the Zoo the next day.

Its the small things that make a difference, and as a result would book a Premier Inn again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Another stay at this very friendly hotel. Staff are excellent and caring. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. restaurant is good too. Shall be back in a few months. The location is very handy for just walking into town or to the park which is nearby. Very friendly squirrels!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very conveniently located close to the Institute. Staff were very friendly and helpful which was very welcome as we'd had a terrible journey. The room was fine: my daughter had the double bed as she was the one who needed to be well rested for the following day. I had the sofa bed which was right next to the window and was quite cold and draughty, even though the window was shut. I slept with a t-shirt over my PJs and a coat covering the bed.
The bathroom was not as spotless as other Premier Inns - there were long dark hairs in the bath and one stuck to the back of the bathroom door. There were also suspicious yellow marks on the floor around the toilet. However, the main room was very clean and tidy. The cleaning staff were very good in leaving our room until last as I had a lot of work to do before I checked out.
Regarding the attached Beefeater restaurant: I would recommend checking the cleanliness of the crockery and cutlery as our knives, forks and mugs were all a little dirty. They did, however, serve an extremely tasty and satisfying breakfast. Everything was cooked to order so was fresh and piping hot. The coffee was also excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Absolutely amazing service as always for premier inn, although this hotel is small compared to most, it was at the top of my list for the ones i would visit again. well kept rooms and building, great food from the restaurant next door and my visit made that bit more enjoyable with the very friendly staff on reception. Second to none service from Kristina, this has been a trip i wish i could have stayed a few more days for.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business