“Really not good. Owner absent when arrived and dog sitting on table laid for breakfast during the evening”
Review of Greenview House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colchester
Greenview House
Ranked #22 of 41 Colchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2013

When we arrived it was pouring with rain and the owner (Rod) was in the pub - only found this out after we had wandered around Colchester for 45 minutes in the rain as no answer at the door, although could hear a dog barking. We had said what time we were going to arrive, between 4-5 and we arrived at 4.30. OK, maybe just a bad start. When we finally came back he saw us hanging around outside from the pub down the road (why didn't he put a note on the door?) and seemed OK but I was pretty tired by now.

Anyway, the owner showed us upstairs to our room with a washbasin. My heart sank as we were going up the stairs to the rooms; this place is pretty depressing and well needs a makeover. The dog was cute (I love dogs thankfully) but kept headbutting the door all evening or barking at the room door as he was lonely and when I went to get something from my car he was sitting on a placemat on the breakfast table which was laid out for breakfast. Obv. didn't sit at this table for breakfast. Just wanted to leave by that point.

Other problems included a window that wouldn't stay open, a TV remote control that had flat batteries, a TV that hadn't been used in so long it needed to be re-tuned to digital and (by now I do realise I'm getting petty) a room that was so dreary and dark that the middle light had to be left on at all times as the side lights were rubbish. Oh also, no hairdryer.

4*? And also be classed as "excellent"? I'm not sure. However, to be positive, the bed was comfortable and Rod did seem nice enough although, in my opinion, not interested in the actual running of his b&b.

Room Tip: Based on my experience, avoid if I'm honest.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Blondie_T

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed for one night last Saturday to visit our son who is based at the garrison, ideally situated 5 mins walk from town centre and 10 mins from the barracks. Warm, clean & cosy free parking and Rod will cook your breakfast (which was very good) at time of your choosing, there's also a nice little pub on the corner what more could you want! Rod was a great host he even invited our son to have breakfast with us on the Sunday morning would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alison v
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here for a month on business. Rod is lovely, and he made it feel like a second home. It's clean, quiet with the added bonus of use of the kitchen and parking. It's so easy to get to the town centre, I didn't need to use my car.

When I'm working in Colchester, this is where I stay. I can't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sue L
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had 3 nights at Greenview and stayed in the annexe double bedroom, nice spacious room comfy bed and great shower. Excellent breakfast. We had a lovely stay. Rod made us feel very welcome from the first greeting and throughout our stay, he was very informative of the area. Ideally situated to the town centre with its many pubs and restaurants. We would definatly stay here again. Good value.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where to start? My mother and I arrived to Colchester early evening with no clue where to stay and dead phones. We randomly saw a pub as we passed on the dual carriageway, so pulled off to ask if they knew of accommodation. Everyone in the pub was delightfully helpful (we are there later and the service was SO good- but this is not about the pub) and led me out of the front door to show me the B&B literally 10 seconds walk away.
Knocking on the door I was confronted by Rod. He was immediately hospitable and welcoming, having the twin room we needed. I asked if I could park somewhere overnight and he helpfully pointed out a free parking bay until 10am next day. We brought our bags in, and Rod, accompanied by his very cute dog, were shown, past the kithen downstairs, and up to our room. The room was not bad at all- for £50 it was definitely value for money (irrespective, but even more so, of the proximity to city centre). It had a small lobby area off which were the bathroom and cupboard, tea &coffee facilities. The bed was comfortable and Rod showed us how to use the freeview, plus wifi which was very good. He was very relaxed and asked us to 'please don't hesitate to knock' on his door if we wanted anything at all. After settling down we went to the pub for our dinner and a few drinks, then went to sleep back in our room. In the morning I went to the city to pick up a newspaper and returned to find Rod who invited us down for breakfast whenever we wanted. We hadn't paid for breakfast but we were still invited to sit down and have yoghurts, cereals and fruits, and the perfect host made us tea and coffee. While we ate we asked him about the area (so knowledgeable) and about parking- to which he offered us a full day permit for £1 to park outside the B&B (this money itself was donated to a local hospice!). Never intrusive he was attentive and seemed to just 'know' when we were needing info, and when we were chatting to ourselves. Everything was thought of- there were even phrase books in the book stand for 5 or 6 different languages. Finally, Rod was so trusting. He wasn't fussed about taking my details in the evening (sensing we just wanted to get settled and have something to eat) and in the morning, asked us to stay as long as we liked- there seemed to be no check out time issues whatsoever.
We had a great stay in Colchester- a really beautiful and historic place- but it was made all the more great by Rod, his B&B, and his exceptional hospitality. Oh, and the B&B really WAS just a 2-minute walk via subway to the town centre - excellent value for money for somewhere so close!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ross C
Reviewed July 1, 2013

A lovely place situated close to town centre. Rod the owner is a real nice guy in fact a true gent, made me a drink on my arrival a home from home experience. Breakfast was great, room was very nice and price was very good compared to others in the area. Excellent location easy access to buses and trains. I would recommend this establishment to anyone. Thanks for your help Rod.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just an update because there is no editing in TripAdvisor.
We gave a 5* review originally.
Rod continues to provide excellent hospitality at a very attractive rate compared to anywhere in town.
The sale did not complete.

Rod will advise on free parking adjacent to the property.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple