“Friday night Soup, Steak & Chips”

George Hotel of Colchester Restaurant
Ranked #247 of 477 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, International
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Forest Gate
“Friday night Soup, Steak & Chips”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

arrived at Colchester late on Bank Holiday Friday and hadn't checked out Trip Advisor so took pot luck with The George on the High Street. The décor does need a bit of attention but it was a nice meal, in a comfy historical setting with friendly waiters.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank grayee1962

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Always a Pleasure”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The George never let you down the staff are very friendly service is good and the food is lovely I regularly visit the George sometimes just for a coffee and a snack its a nice meeting place.

Visited April 2013
Harwich, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch Out”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch today with our two year old, we sat in the carvey area of the restaurant.We were really disappointed with nearly everything about the lunch. The decor is tired and needs a good clean. The food was luke warm, we didn't get served our drinks until half way through our meal. Although our waiter was helpful, he seemed to be doing everything from carving the meat to waiting on tables ! Overall we won't be returning which is disappointing considering its location.

• Visited April 2013
colchester
“Vouchers always seem to be a problem”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Took my mum here Thurs 14th March, intending to use Smart vouchers giving 50% off the bill up to £30 saving. The vouchers themselves say that they exclude celebration days like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, all of December etc, which is fine, but yet again it was a struggle...

A few years ago they refused to accept a voucher in mind-November because they said it was the Christmas period (!). A couple of years ago I had a similar issue, details of which I can't remember. On this occasion, they said they weren't serving the a la carte menu, so we couldn't use the voucher, but I explained to them that a). If you're going to use the voucher system, you can't just pick and choose on a whim when to allow them, and b). Due to you not having our table ready at the booked time, we have already ordered and drank half of a bottle of wine in the lounge, so I'm not going to go elsewhere now, and therefore I insist that we be allowed to order from the a la carte menu. After arguing with several staff, it was eventually allowed...

I don't even remember in detail whether the food was that good. My mum's rib eye was excellent I recall, which it should be at about £23 including sauce (!), whatever I had was also good I think, but I'm not going to come here any more as I always find the service appalling, and the whole place is just totally mismanaged. If they can't operate the voucher system, then they should pull out of it. :/

• Visited March 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxed atmosphere at The George”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a lovely place to pop in for a relaxed drink or a bite to eat in a lovely, quaint setting. Grab a sofa or big armchair and you could easily stay for a while! You might have to wait for a seat, but it'll be worth it!

• Visited March 2013