“Excellent”
Review of The Green Room

The Green Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Green Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 489 Restaurants in Colchester
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Set within The North Hill Hotel, our AA rosette restaurant The Green Room offers some of the finest food in Colchester. Our 'Modern British' menu utilises the best locally sourced produce ranging from rare breed meat to fresh fish from Mersea Island and compliments our 50 bottle wine list. Our traditional Sunday roasts are not to be missed and Al Fresco dining is now available in our contemporary court yard.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is the second time we have used the Green Room for a celebration (my 40th and my partner's 50th). If anything it was even better this time. We were put in the function room due to numbers (16) which could have made you feel somewhat cut off but the service was great. The set menu was excellent and although one of the items wasn't available as they couldn't source fresh ingredients (always a good sign), they more than made up for it with alternatives. Service was very good and we had quite a few challenging dietary requests all being met politely and efficiently. The food was fab, I had soup (can be a boring choice but it was lovely and fresh - pea and mint), Goats cheese tart and trio of puddings. Have received great feedback from those who attended and would highly recommend.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I popped in here for a dinner, without a reservation, with the staff being more than happy to seat us. It was relatively empty on this occasion, with the service being quick and our starters of parsnip soup being brought out quickly. Unfortunately this was a bit bland, with us both adding salt to taste.

The mains went down well however, the fish and chips being filling and the salad apparently fresh and well seasoned too.

A steady visit and it will be worth a return in the near future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Remember this place when it was the Peveril. What a transformation! Food well presented and service excellent. Staff friendly. Overall, the restaurant was smart and relaxing - a great place to catch up with friends.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The venue and the service was excellent. Starter of potted shrimps was also very tasty and excellent, however, the duck breast could have done with a lot more flavouring, perhaps some ginger or other spices. Duck breast is really quite a bland meat so needs just a little more help to become tastier. A little more jus would have been welcome. The dessert of dark chocolate and baileys sounded good, but there was little dark chocolate, and the baileys was hardly noticeable!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This the first time I went to the green room in Colchester and everyone I spoke to recommended it so was looking forward to eating there. We were a party of 12, celebrating my friend's birthday. Staff were great, very professional and courteous. The whole evening, however, was let down by the food. 8 of us ordered steaks, mine came out completely cold and on a cold plate so had to be sent back. When it came back it was fine. The side orders of potatoes were underdone. My partner's side order was completely forgotton about. Desserts were also bad, the cheesecake was really not nice and had hardly any base which as my friend pointed out was her favourite part! We were not asked if we wanted anymore drinks and when we did order some more they took 25 minutes to bring them to the table. Overall the experience was quite stressful and not enjoyable at all, we also found it was overpriced for what we received. I paid £20 for a mediocre steak and a butternut squash salad. I would not go back there again as I wouldn't want to risk spending that much money on such a poor meal. It was really a surprise to the people I know that have dined there before as they really enjoyed it. The only thing I can put it down to was the size of our party, but in that case if you can't cater to the standards you would like to 12 people don't accept the reservation.

4  Thank Jess L