“Bank Holiday Meal with Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Company Shed

The Company Shed
Ranked #42 of 477 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Bank Holiday Meal with Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We knew exactly what expect at the company shed, so two friends decided to drive down for 11am to put our names down for a table, which we got at 2pm. So there was a LONG waiting time for people who rocked up , but Mersea is nice in the sunshine so we had a few drinks at The Victory. At 2pm we walked to Company Shed and happened to meet two more friends, who were trying to get a table. The staff allowed us to add the two new friends to our table for 7, which was great.

We ordered Oysters, Tiger Prawns, unpeeled prawns, crabs, mjussels, cod roe and washed this down with our BYO wine and various breads. You help yourself to cutlerly, glasses and the whole experience works well. You have to queue to place your food orders, and the queue was long.

Recommend the grilled seafood with cheese, cream and breadcrumb toppings. I am not a seafood lover, but I managed to try a bit of everything and ate the bread we brought, My husband tucked in and really enjoyed it. Next time I would bring some more accompanyments for our meal, various other breads, dips, olives and some cheese to make it more satisfying. price was spot on £15 per person.

Essex
“Not really worth the struggle to get in”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We had heard how difficult it is to get a table at this place but had also heard that the food and atmosphere is excellent so were determined to get in.

We had been advised that it is good to get there early and put your name on the waiting list for a table later in the day so we turned up at 11:20 to be told that we could other eat immediately ( we were not ready to eat that early) or come back in half an hour to put our names on the waiting list)

Came back at 12:00 and given 2:15 as our time to eat, later than we wanted but we accepted that it was that or nothing.

Had a lovely time crabbing on the quay , took a boat ride and had a nice drink at a nearby pub before returning at 2:15.

We queued for 10 minutes just to check in and were told to wait outside for our name to be called. By 2:45 I was ready to give up and go home. The kids were getting restless, I was getting grumpy but husband was determined!

We were finally seated at 3pm but then had to queue once again to order our food. We ordered two cooked dishes and two cold. My grilled scallops arrived fairly promptly but the rest of the food took ages and we had to chase it up. I had finished my meal long before everyone else's had arrived.

My scallops were lacking in flavour, no sign of the thyme and butter they were supposed be cooked in, and they were chewy.
Husband said that his sea food platter was fresh and very good but not sure it was any better than anything he could have picked up much more easily at one of our local cockle sheds in Leigh-on-Sea.

We won't be returning and could not recommend this restaurant as we feel that they treat their customers appallingly.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Rough and ready”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have read a few of the reviews on here and thought I should put my oar in. The table are not very clean, the staff are not exactly going to get work at Claridges and the decor will not win any awards. But we were a group of 9 people and to all be fed with 36 Oysters to start and then enough plates of shell fish and sea food to fill up 5 large blokes and 4 not large woman cost us £11 each. Ok you have to take your own drink but that is what keeps the price down. I can't say about the cut off time for food and I would think that a family type place like this should be flexible a little but dare I say, you get what you pay for in this world and if you can find anywhere else where you pay 75p for an oyster, please let me know.

London, United Kingdom
“Really great sea food + really rude service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I’ll start with the negatives because this is what first greets you:
The attitude of the staff leaves a lot to be desired! The restaurant opens at 9am (10am on Sunday) and closes at 5pm every day, although be warned that they stop taking food orders at 4pm and they stick to this in a ridiculously fanatical way! We walked in a 3:50pm and by the time we were served it was 3:55pm (and the clock on the wall behind the counter also showed the same time) and yet we were greeted with the waitress at the till turning round to ask the person behind her if they were still taking orders. The person behind then shouted to someone else out of sight and a lady then returned from sorting a plastic crate of live lobsters to finally agree to let the waitress take our order. I didn’t fancy shell fish, but there was virtually no other fish on the menu that day apart from the sea bass so we ordered two sea bass and some tiger prawns for our daughter. They only had one portion of sea bass left. I tried to order some fish that was behind the counter but was told that this was for take-away only and try as I might, I could persuade them to fry me any fish, so I reluctantly also ordered some tiger prawns. We also struggled to order anything to go with the sea food and were told that you have to bring your own bread and drink, although they do supply salad.

We sat down at a dirty table and I started to wish that we hadn’t gone there, but we’d wanted to try The Company Shed for years and living in the area amazingly this was the first time that we’d tried the place and so far, not so good. A waitress soon arrived and literally "plonked" three plates and our cutlery in the table and left. We all looked at each other at the same time, so we were all surprised at this. We thought they’d attempt to clean the table properly first and possibly hand us a plate each, but obviously the place is a bit more basic than this.

Next to us were a couple of Italian men who were excitedly enjoying their food and were taking photos of everything. They had a small mountain of prawn shells and the remains of a couple of lobsters. They ordered some more food and were told that it was 4:02pm and so they couldn’t order any more. It looked like they had eaten a lot and spent a small fortune, so I really think this would have been their final order, but no not was not taken! The men were amazed and laughed pointing to their watches – they simply couldn’t believe it – such as a shame!

A new couple arrived at 4:05pm and were abruptly told they were not taking orders but since they had driven far to come, they started to look at what they could buy to take away.
I know there has to be a cut-off at some point, but there is absolutely no flexibility here, not even for good customers and the manner in which you are spoken to compounds this significantly!

Now for the positives:
We had tiger prawns and the special of the day which was sea bass, which were both absolutely fantastic! The sea bass was cooked to perfection in a delicious source and was the best that I’ve ever tasted (and I love sea bass)! We had finished our meal and left at 4:15pm having spent a whole 25 minutes in the place – not quite the relaxing time by the sea that we had expected.
In summary the sea food is excellent, but unfortunately the staff attitude lets the place down significantly. I am amazed at all the positive reviews for this place! I can only assume that they are riding on a long history of success and they are in a luxurious position to not have to provide a high level of service, but bizarrely I want to go back because the food was so good! I think I’ll take my uncle from Liverpool in June as I think it’d be funny to see what they think of his blunt sarcastic and humorous and insulting comments! (I also wonder what they'll think if I take some Cif and a cloth to clean the table as I'm a bit obsessed with having clean tables and cutlery).

2 Thank Neil_Edward_Smith
Colchester, United Kingdom
“love this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

we have been here many times, and never fails to please us,,,its a lovely tiny place, gorgeous fresh fish, lovely menu of assorted fish and cooked in many ways, take your wine and bread and dips and grab a glass off the shelf to have your wine with your fish,,,always people that want a friendly chat, its a great little place, well worth going to

Visited March 2013