“Dont bother”
Review of Globe Hotel

Globe Hotel
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We turned up and were greeted by.....nobody...rang bell...nothing then lady apeared from accross the road...we were showed room..latch on top of stopped door opening fully on first impression nice big room...then.....empty box of ky jelly in bin so i dread to think wots gone on here!!! Stain on bedding..i asked for a double bed and got 2 mattresses pushed together...pubican long hair in shower..we couldnt shower as it was just a trickle...the noise from other guests is a nitemare...doors slam walls thin...upon gettin up this morning(sleep was terrible) i emptied the kettle of stale water and re boiled it..the uht milk was solid god knows how long its been there...we will b eatin in thr premier inn over the road were we shud have stayed..£68 for this is not acceptable

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Craneleigh

Reviewed October 31, 2011

A reasonable hotel located very close to the town centre. I just wanted somewhere to stay overnight, close to Colchester train station. I was met by the owner who took me to the room and showed me the facilities. The room was clean and bed comfortable. For the price, I think this was a really good deal.

I ate food in the Indian restaurant downstairs, which was fantastic.

Room Tip: I had a double-room, which I would recommend.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Marty021186338
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I gave this hotel the benefit of the doubt from the reviews I had read on here. Big mistake very very low standard of cleanliness, carpet was filthy, bed clothes were discoloured! room smelt. etc etc. No staff on site. When this was broached with the manager/proprieter after they had been contacted by the booking agent, It resulted in a very unprofessional telephone call.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank sasco2
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I was overbooked at the hotel and the staff placed me in a nearby flat to which they took me. The proprietor arranged taxis from the flat to the places I needed to go. The flat was clean and came equipped with the usual hotel amenities. For the 50 Pound price, I was pleased with the service.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank VJQX
Reviewed August 8, 2011

we got to colchester late friday afternoon from a long drive from edinbrugh and was welcome to a very very nice hotel . the room was very clean the staff was very happy to help in anyway, the food was spot on for the 50 pounds a night it was very very cheap as this should cost a lot more ,, and for the nasty comments left by othere hotle users i think they was in a diffrent hotel as the globe hotel colchester essex was perfect and i will use again and tell my friends to use many thanks again chris savage edinbrugh scotland

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2010

this is the worst poor excuse of a hotel i have ever stayed in . Due to weather conditions and being stranded this was the closest place we could find to stay. i resent the 75 pounds i payed for a room. taking your money was clearly the only interest they had being overly freindly and polite untill they your money after that they was unhelpful,staff when you did see them they did not seem to have clue what they was doing. The rooms unclean and uncomfortable and certainly not a place i would stay out of choice. Just to add the restaurant was equally dismal with food tasting like a icelands ready meal curry.Again staff had problems knowing what they was suppose to do and getting into trouble with management for bringing the meal up to the room.

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank sarah190
Reviewed September 8, 2009

There was no staff when i came to check in, there was no staff when i went to check out, there were no staff when it came to breakfast, there was even a couple cooking there own breakfast!! The place itself is actually quite nice, but the service from the owner and his staff (his family) was non existent, I may as well of been staying at my home...never will I return to the Globe and I highly recommend you get more value for your money and book into a campsite!!

• Stayed: September 2009
2  Thank betterbiking
vijayakarri, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

When people write saying that dont bother save your money, this customer and his colleagues
stayed at the hotel on many occasions. We never had problems with them for two years . On the last visit they were carrying out not permitted business Like drink and drugs we had to terminate their stay prematurely. The company who sent this guys we have reported who in turn charged their worker for cleaning the hotel rooms. The persons who was involved put this message on trip advisor thinking
we will be out of business. He is wrong. We offer a clean hotel and at a very reasonable cost and we run the hotel at 85%occupancy rate. This tells how good the hotel is.