“Extremely poor customer service”
Review of The Black Lion

The Black Lion
Ranked #26 of 328 Restaurants in Rotherham
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a high quality country inn offering pub classics alongside more refined a la carte menus. Dogs and country folk welcome! See you soon!
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My partner introduced me to this pub yesterday and at first I thought that we had somewhere new to go out to. However, during my first and only drink, my chair collapsed from under me. If my partner hadnt have caught me, I would have fallen to the floor, smacking my chin on the table on the way down! I was embarrassed and shocked so my partner went to complain and to get the broken chair removed. My partner told the bar man about my near miss. The only response was not apologetic but "so you are telling me you have broken one of our chairs?". The chair remained blocking the floor for some time so my partner sought out the landlady. He complained to her about the bar man's attitude to which she replied, " oh, well he would have been joking". She inspected the chair which had already obviously been crudely repaired and said there was nothing wrong with it as someone had been sitting in it prior to me! She then went on to intimate that I had been rocking on it, causing it to break. My dear woman, I am 46 years old and my chair rocking days have long since passed! Her apology was almost non existant, she didn't even enquire to see if I had hurt myself let alone offer me a drink as compensation for my humiliation. It is a shame as my partner and I will never visit there again. Customer service is precious to us but in my opinon doesn't appear to matter at The Black Lion...

4  Thank Daffy1968

Reviewed February 16, 2014

A warm welcome With good quality home made food is what is on offer at this very attractive Pub Nestled in the picturesque village of Firbeck. We had a very tasty sunday lunch, the pork was delicious with crackling to die for! And along with a wide selection of vegetables there's something for even the most finicky eaters. I love their cauliflower cheese, it's some of the best I have had anywhere, and even ranks alongside (dare I say it) My Sister-in-laws! All finished off with their delicious homemade Orange Bread and Butter pudding. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

What lovely food, we had a carvery today it was amazing! Options were pork, turkey, beef, lambs liver or steak pie! We opted for pork and beef they were melt in your mouth perfect. The waitress and bar member were very friendly! I think the owner/manager is very welcoming. Thank you our Sunday was fab!

1  Thank Kevin R
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Not disappointed in the slightest, however I did wonder if we might be having read the last 2 dreadful reviews. these must be talking about another pub.

We called without a reservation Sunday afternoon and had a really delicious Sunday dinner. My partner had the beef which was cooked perfectly and actually had some taste to it which seems rare these days when restaurants insist on buying the cheapest meat just so they can charge less, I would rather pay a little more and have better quality having said that, it was not expensive anyway. I had the roast pork, again it was just lovely and the vegetables were delicious and plenty of them,choice of 7 the Yorkshire pudding on both meals was immense :) . Service was friendly and helpful. A good selection of drinks available also. This is now added as one in my destination for a good old fashioned Sunday lunch with a bit of class about it too.
keep it up

2  Thank eric p
Reviewed November 8, 2013

well we called in to the black lion last weekend as our local the hay nook was rammed to the rafters !! what a waste of good money !!! In the summer we called and had an excellent family meal very well prepared fresh vegetables well presented in an idyllic location even if it was a tad overpriced it was enjoyable. we cannot believe how poor the meal was last weekend, served on cold plates, no mash, chewy meat, crap veg it was awful! You can always tell a good restaurant as there is always a member of staff coming round to see if everything is ok, the manager/ member of staff noticeable by their absence, compare this with the hay nook where the landlord constantly aske you if everything is ok and better quality food at half the price ! we do travel around to various food establishments and we suggest the landlord/lady also does this to see how it should be done! suggest that you pay a visit to the Angel at Blyth and venus at Dinnington for a lesson in hostelry and hospitality and how food should be presented. Such a shame as this pub is in such a fantastic location.

5  Thank adrian p