“Excellent business and weekend leisur ebreak hotel”

Mercure Sheffield Parkway
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2013

staff are usually excellent and it's generally good value. You know what you are getting - a clean, modern hotel. Consistently good whenever we have used it for conferences, business meetings, lunch or overnight stays.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NiriSPatel
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review. I am very happy that you enjoy your time with us. Thanks for continuing to choose us and I hope we will see you soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Easter break away.. We came across Aston Hotel as I was mainly looking for something affordable, yet good (reviews wise).. Aston was definitely the best choice.. Great reviews and very good price made me book this hotel, but then I was even more pleasantly surprised as staff were friendly and helpful, room was very specious with lovely, spotless bathroom and huge comfortable bed.. Room was on the first floor and it was very nice and quiet (my boyfriend is very sensitive to any kind of noise) which was a bonus.. We did stay for two nights and did have a dinner at the hotel 2nd night. We were looked after Ben who was absolutely lovely and friendly, service was fast, food absolutely delicious! Not a bad thing to say about this hotel, service or food! Definitely recommend and we will stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lydia K

Thank you for the great review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We do our very best to offer great value and its very encouraging to see such great feedback. I passed on your feedback to Ben who was very pleased to have been mentioned, we are very lucky to have him!
Thanks again for the review and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I am a fairly regular customer to your Sheffield/Rotherham Hotel when I meet a work colleague there. My wife & I have had lunch there on a number of occasions including taking our son & his partner for lunch too.

On Good Friday, my wife & I called in for lunch at 2pm & sat in a bar area window seat, somewhere we haven't sat before despite the number of times I,we've, been. To our shock we saw just how filthy the bar area seating environment is! Please see the photographs below which tell their own story! Clearly weeks if not months of accumulated dust next to a lamp, on Venetian Blinds, old stale food left under a table & chair cushions that haven't been shaken or plumped up. Is this the sort environment/atmosphere customers have to eat food & drink in?! No it isn't it is a poor disgrace! There clearly is no inspection or proper cleaning regime. This particular area looked & felt shabby, dirty & not welcoming which made you feel uncomfortable. It clearly hadn't been cleaned in weeks/months.

My wife pointed out to the waiter the dusty area near the lamp & he did say he'd get it sorted. It was only after speaking to the waiter we took more notice of where we were sat that we saw these other things.

On a positive note the lunch we had was very good, well presented, the waiter was very friendly & attentive. On our leaving the waiter did say again the dusty area near the lamp would be sorted.

My email was acted upon and the General Manager of the Hotel rang me the following day and we discussed our visit at some length during which he apologised quite profusely. He did try to say there was a proper cleaning regime in place which I disagreed with most vehemently and told him so, the minimum and I repeated the minimum expected in an area where food and drink is served and eaten is extremely clean and spotless.

There was only two couples in when we were there, ourselves and one other. It isn't difficult once customers have left for a member of staff to check the table and seats, plumped cushions up, check for dust and dirt and to look under tables and put anything that is wrong right to make it more appealing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

There is no doubt that there was some dust on the side table and on the blinds and you are correct that this should have been put right earlier. Your previous experience with us and the other reviews on this site suggest that cleanliness is not an issue and the dust you found is outside the usual standard at this hotel. It has now been put right and will not re-occur.

All businesses get things wrong from time to time and in that regard we are no different. What separates us is how any issue is responded too. You received an immediate response to your email and a call from me over a Bank Holiday weekend. I am sorry that this was not good enough for you.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at hotel and the guy at reception was so friendly and happy and helpful! He informed us we'd got a complimentary upgrade to an executive room!
The bedroom was glorious and huge! The super king size bed was massive and the bathroom had a great big bath with a separate power shower cubicle!
Cannot rate this hotel high enough, GREAT stay in a great place with great staff :)
Perfect location for the arena and meadow hall!

• Stayed: March 2013
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am delighted that you had such a good stay! We work hard at maintaining a high standard and it's always brilliant to hear that visits to stay with us have been enjoyed so much.
Your business is very much appreciated and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I chose this hotel because we were over in Rotherham for a funeral. I liked the reviews, and the way the manager had responded to them. I was not disappointed with the hotel. New, well furnished, clean and well maintained. They were practically empty when we turned up, but then snow had been forecast and it was Friday night. They said they were almost full for Saturday night.
Because they were so few there was no buffet. The breakfast was cooked fresh to order. That and the evening meal were faultless.
They had the staff clearing the car park of snow and the lad doing it even brushed the snow off my car for me!
It wasn't the best reason to visit Rotherham, but the hotel certainly did help make the occasion more bearable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great review. I am really pleased that you had a good stay even though the reasons for the trip were not nice.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will come and stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked several rooms for several nights at this hotel for business. The rooms were pre-paid and we were not asked to swipe a credit card at reception for extras to be charged. I booked a table in the restaurant and had dinner with an important customer.

I asked for the bill after the meal and tried to sign for it to be charged to the room, but I was told I couldn't....and worse still, I was asked for a credit card before I was allowed to leave the room!!! Unfortunately, I had left everything in my bedroom and the waiter got most concerned that I might leave without paying.....it was unbelievable!!! He literally followed me to the lift and asked me to come straight back down with a credit card!!!

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the world and never been made to feel like a common thief. Luckily, my customer saw the funny side but it was very embarrassing. Just to make it worse, exactly the same thing happened at breakfast the next morning. I asked what the problem was and the waitress said they needed to make sure that everyone paid!

That aside, the deco was lovely and very clean, the bathroom was fantastic and I had a lovely night of sleep.

Several of the staff were very strange however and I wondered at one point if it was some kind of community project!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank snowqueen75

Thanks for the review. I am obviously very disappointed to see that you were left anything but satisfied following your stay.

I have spoken to the restaurant staff member concerned. In addition to being extremely apologetic that his actions caused offence, he was at pains to point out that he intended no offence nor was he suggesting anything untoward.

He was attempting to clarify how the bill was to be settled as he had given you the bill some minutes earlier and had not been given any further instruction. As I mentioned there was no intention to cause offence and I apologise for any that was caused. We are very proud of the friendly and courteous service that we consistently provide. As part of the investigation into your complaint the staff have discussed this scenario and the potential that exists to cause offence and identified a number of ways to avoid problems like this from arising.

I am surprised that you were not asked to swipe a credit card when you checked in. I have spoken to the receptionist on duty that day and she cannot recall any reason why she would not have asked you to swipe a card if you wished to charge extras to your room. It is a standard procedure for us along with the vast majority of hotels. Nevertheless if you were not asked then I apologise as this clearly would have avoided the situation you outlined.

I am not sure what you are trying to imply with your closing comments. My staff are very professional and the feedback we receive from guests would suggest that they are doing an extremely good job, the suggestion that they are part of a community project is uncalled for.

I am pleased that the remainder of your stay was comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and thank you for responding to my message as it helped me to investigate the matter fully. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here twice now on business trips and had nothing but excellent service. Rooms are fantastic, food is great and staff are lovely and welcoming!
Beds are huge and comfy and cleanness is top and there is no outside noise. Lovely waking up and seeing fields and no motorways for a change in a city hotel. 10/10

• Stayed: February 2013
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We work hard to ensure that we deliver a high standard of guest care and it is very encouraging to read such great feedback!
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Carlton Park Hotel
Carlton Park Hotel
#8 of 15 in Rotherham
Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North

Been to Mercure Sheffield Parkway? Share your experiences!