“A really good hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Preston, United Kingdom
“A really good hotel!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I chose this hotel because we were over in Rotherham for a funeral. I liked the reviews, and the way the manager had responded to them. I was not disappointed with the hotel. New, well furnished, clean and well maintained. They were practically empty when we turned up, but then snow had been forecast and it was Friday night. They said they were almost full for Saturday night.
Because they were so few there was no buffet. The breakfast was cooked fresh to order. That and the evening meal were faultless.
They had the staff clearing the car park of snow and the lad doing it even brushed the snow off my car for me!
It wasn't the best reason to visit Rotherham, but the hotel certainly did help make the occasion more bearable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am really pleased that you had a good stay even though the reasons for the trip were not nice.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will come and stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked several rooms for several nights at this hotel for business. The rooms were pre-paid and we were not asked to swipe a credit card at reception for extras to be charged. I booked a table in the restaurant and had dinner with an important customer.

I asked for the bill after the meal and tried to sign for it to be charged to the room, but I was told I couldn't....and worse still, I was asked for a credit card before I was allowed to leave the room!!! Unfortunately, I had left everything in my bedroom and the waiter got most concerned that I might leave without paying.....it was unbelievable!!! He literally followed me to the lift and asked me to come straight back down with a credit card!!!

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the world and never been made to feel like a common thief. Luckily, my customer saw the funny side but it was very embarrassing. Just to make it worse, exactly the same thing happened at breakfast the next morning. I asked what the problem was and the waitress said they needed to make sure that everyone paid!

That aside, the deco was lovely and very clean, the bathroom was fantastic and I had a lovely night of sleep.

Several of the staff were very strange however and I wondered at one point if it was some kind of community project!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank snowqueen75
Thanks for the review. I am obviously very disappointed to see that you were left anything but satisfied following your stay.

I have spoken to the restaurant staff member concerned. In addition to being extremely apologetic that his actions caused offence, he was at pains to point out that he intended no offence nor was he suggesting anything untoward.

He was attempting to clarify how the bill was to be settled as he had given you the bill some minutes earlier and had not been given any further instruction. As I mentioned there was no intention to cause offence and I apologise for any that was caused. We are very proud of the friendly and courteous service that we consistently provide. As part of the investigation into your complaint the staff have discussed this scenario and the potential that exists to cause offence and identified a number of ways to avoid problems like this from arising.

I am surprised that you were not asked to swipe a credit card when you checked in. I have spoken to the receptionist on duty that day and she cannot recall any reason why she would not have asked you to swipe a card if you wished to charge extras to your room. It is a standard procedure for us along with the vast majority of hotels. Nevertheless if you were not asked then I apologise as this clearly would have avoided the situation you outlined.

I am not sure what you are trying to imply with your closing comments. My staff are very professional and the feedback we receive from guests would suggest that they are doing an extremely good job, the suggestion that they are part of a community project is uncalled for.

I am pleased that the remainder of your stay was comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and thank you for responding to my message as it helped me to investigate the matter fully. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here twice now on business trips and had nothing but excellent service. Rooms are fantastic, food is great and staff are lovely and welcoming!
Beds are huge and comfy and cleanness is top and there is no outside noise. Lovely waking up and seeing fields and no motorways for a change in a city hotel. 10/10

• Stayed February 2013
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We work hard to ensure that we deliver a high standard of guest care and it is very encouraging to read such great feedback!
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.
blackpool
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here several times as it is close to our head office. The menu is comprehensive with traditional English food and world favourites. They have good daily two or three course set menu. Overall good value great staff and clean comfortable rooms.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much for the great review. As you are a frequent guest it is especially pleasing that you experience a consistently high standard!
Thank you for continuing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Great two night stay great service and very helpful staff , the rooms are very comfortable and clean! Easy access to Sheffield by bus or taxi and the same to meadow hall shopping centre would definitely recommend a visit!

Stayed March 2013
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you very much for the lovely review. I am very pleased that you had a good visit to the hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Couldn't ask for anything more. Open end in 2008 but has retained it's sparkle. Evening meal was to die for and reasonably priced. Breakfast buffet was fresh and plentiful. In the middle of an industrial estate however only minutes from the motorway. No need to stay anywhere else in Rotherham.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for the great review! I am very happy to read that you had a good stay and enjoyed the food so much! We are fortunate to have a great kitchen brigade that are passionate about our Brasserie and a menu that we change as often as we can!
Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will see you again soon.
Otley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Providing you are not looking for a City Centre Hotel then this is the perfect choice for Sheffield & Rotherham.
The Hotel is modern, clean and very functional. Comfortable Bar/Lounge and dining areas. rooms are very good with large comfortable bed and all required facilities.
Hotel and staff could not be more attentive and helpful. We had to move our booking twice due to weather problems, this was dealt with in the most Professional and friendly manner and was not a problem at all.
The food for Breakfast and Dinner was very good and again service excellent. My Steak was not cooked as I like it. this was immediately changed with a very friendly smile and appology.
I believe that the sign of a good hotel is how good they are at sorting problems and I have full confidence with Aston Hotel in this respect.
I have no problem recommending this Hotel and would be very happy to stay again. Other members of our party have already said they will be staying again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the Hotel are quieter