“Great hotel for business traveller”

Mercure Sheffield Parkway
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great hotel for business traveller”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on several occasions whne visiting the Sheffield area on business.

It is modern, clean and very comfortable.

Staff friendly and food excellent value.

Comfort of four star hotel (without spa , pool etc) but at prices usually found from budget hotels.

Close to M1 but quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wattsy52
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for the great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
North East
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Agree with recent reviews. We were really impressed with the hotel. We stayed last weekend on the 'Chatsworth' deal which proved excellent value for money. The room was great, clean and new, bed was really comfortable and we had 2 great nights sleep. The food portions and quality were great. Staff were great - very professional, efficient and friendly. There was a big party on, but it didn't impact on the rest of the hotel at all. Breakfast is good quality, lots of choice of fresh fruit and cooked foods too.
Plenty of seating in the reception/bar area.
I recommend you visit Chatsworth if you're in the area. The grounds and house are fab and you can easily spend the whole day there. Bakewell is nearby and is also a lovely place to visit. You have to get a fresh 'tart' while you're there of course, it would be rude not to!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BellaBlott
Thank you for the lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and pleased that your experience reflected the other reviews you had read.
We work very hard at maintaining that standard and it is always very encouraging to see such positive feedback.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.
lincoln
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Went to see John bishop at the arena last night and booked this hotel because it was nearby, very modern and clean and the comfiest bed, buffet breakfast best I have had and to top it all the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Will definitely revisit. Top marks

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kaycopley
.Thank you for the review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we had many guests who were also seeing John Bishop and everyone seemed to have really enjoyed the show!
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that we will see you again soon.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just had a great stay at the Aston, very comfortable night followed by a good breakfast. The bathroom was well designed making it feel very large. Good side room and did not notice the motorway which was quite close. There was a problem with the heating on the first floor but Nicola on the front desk was very helpful in resolving this.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RichardB191
Thank you for the review. I am very pleased that you had a restful stay. I am glad that Nichola was helpful in dealing with the heating issue. We were thankfully able to resolve the problem on within a couple of hours.
Thank you again for the review and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was absolutely immaculate, the rooms extremely comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. Upon arrival Alex, the receptionist was really friendly and helpful and offered to book a taxi as we were going to an event at the arena. We waited for the taxi and Alex came over to offer apologies as there was a delay due to Eid. After a few minutes, she apologised again and offered to take my husband and I and another couple in her own car. She wouldn't accept anything for the lift and was really apologetic again about the delay, (even though it wasn't the hotels fault).

We have stayed in many hotels and have never experienced such a high level of customer care and service. We will highly recommend Aston hotels to others. We had a brilliant stay and a fab nights sleep. Go there, you won't regret it,

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cwood85
Thank you very much for the lovely review and thank you for the email that I read this morning. I am really pleased that you had a good stay and really pleased that you found Alex to be so helpful.
Thank you for chossingto stay with us and I do hope that we will see you again soon.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Aston Hotel Sheffield/Rotherham is a purpose-built hotel of modern construction, beautifuly fitted out, with attractive decor and high quality finishings in all areas.
The staff, from reception, to bar, dining room, to the lady who cleaned my room, were all friendly, helpful, efficient, well-mannered and smartly turned-out in hotel apparel. A high level of professionalism was evident throughout my two-night stay, which would suggest effective staff training is in place.
My room was spacious, comfortable and attractively finished, with solid wooden doors and furniture completing the picture. Everything was provided, including an ironing board and an iron tucked away in the spacious wardrobe, however the ugly nurse wasn't with me so it didnt get used ! The bathroom and shower area was immaculately clean, as is the entire hotel.
Breakfast in the dining room was Full English for me, with healthy options available, served buffet-style, all you can eat. I had dinner in the hotel on night two, choosing to eat in the bar area as I was on my own. The meal was delicous and reasonably priced and service in the bar/brasserie was second to none.
The only drawback for this hotel is it's fairly remote location, situated on the edge of Sheffield Business Park with no other services withtin easy walking distance. It is easily accessed from J33 of the M1, however the turn-off is easy to miss whereby you end up in the Business Park, and if, like me, your SatNav takes you off at J34, you again end up in the middle of the Business Park with TomTom screaming "you have reached your destination". A few carefully positioned directional signs saying "HOTEL", at key roundabouts would overcome this issue.
However, access to many locations is not too difficult. A short 3.5m drive takes you to the Meadowhall Shopping Centre.....HUGE......with free all day parking available until midnight (not sure about overnight). From Meadowhall it is a short Super Tram ride into Sheffield City Centre, which stops at the Arena and Don Valley Stadium. £3.90 for a day rider gives you unlimited travel for one day.
The A1 bus also runs from the hotel to Meadowhall, but service stops at teatime on a Sunday. If you miss your bus back a taxi from Meadowhall to hotel is around £7.50, simply order it at Meadowhall Interchange Customer Service(also open until midnight).
Popular with business travellers, this hotel is also a good option for a leaisure break, particularly if you are doing something specific like attending a concert or sporting event...or simply going shopping at mega Meadowhall !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Davy D
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you very much for the review. I am delighted that you had such a fantastic stay with us. The team works very hard to ensure that we deliver superb service and it always encouraging to be told that this effort has succeeded.
I quite agree that "hotel" on the various signs would be hugely beneficial and as I have mentioned before that the signs lack this is not due to a lack of effort on our part. I hope that we will eventually be successful in having this added!
Thank you again for the review and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We got an email offering a special deal incorporating breakfast and evening meal on one night plus free entry to Chatsworth (£20 each) and 20% off bottle of wine.
Hotel a bit out of the way but that was fine. Large, free carpark. Nice modern hotel. Good bar and dining room. Room spacious and very clean - large bathroom (no bath) with very large shower cubicle.
Staff very friendly, professional and helpful.
Sunday breakfast - we were down at 9.45 am, a large coach party had had an earlier sitting so some of the food in the hotplates, bacon, blackpudding was a bit dry and overcooked.
Monday breakfast - freshly cooked with poached eggs and kippers available- an excellent breakfast!
Dinner was generally of a good quality, particularly the starters but the cottage pie appeared to have been previously cooked. The pork stroganoff was plentiful but a bit bland. The rest of the meals were fine.
This is the second time that we have stayed at an Aston hotel. We will be staying again

Room Tip: We found the standard room more than adequate. Our room did not have a bath but the large shower cu...