“Excellent location and staff”

Mercure Sheffield Parkway
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were down a few weeks ago for a football match in Rotherham and stayed at this hotel on the Fri and Sat eve on a B&B basis. The hotel is about a 10 min taxi ride from either Sheffield or Rotherham train stations and is just a short drve from the M1 motorway.

On arrival at the hotel we were warmly greeted and promptly checked in, we found the rooms to be large, warm and very comfortable, the bathrooms were spotless and the en-suite shower was massive with a nice fixed seating area within the shower. On the both evenings we had a great night sleep and no noise from the corridors through the night.

In the mornings at breakfast it was a buffet style with plenty of choice hot food regularly topped up with plenty of tea / coffee and plenty of toast. On the second morning there was 2 coach trips staying at the hotel so we just waited till nearer 9am to go for breakfast and there was no problems getting seated and fed. I would say that the restaurant and the staff were all first class and the restaurant manager went out of his way to converse with our group and even went and done us a print out of the Rotherham football ground, directions, pointers and even guided us in the right direction and arranged a taxi for us. First Class.

Whether business or pleasure I would thoroughly reccomend this hotel for anyone planning a stay in the Sheffield / Rotherham area.

THE PICTURES DO NOT DO THIS HOTEL JUSTICE.

I hope Hearts FC come back to this area next year as I for one will be on the phone to the Aston for another great weekend.

A great review but boy oh boy do they deserve it

Room Tip: We booked through superbreak and got a cracking deal for two rooms for two nights
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fabulous review. I am extremely happy you had a good stay and that Ben was able to help with getting you to where you needed to be.
My team work very hard to ensure that what we offer is as good as we can make it and always enjoy reading such great feedback.
Thank you very much again for the review and thank you for choosing to stay with us. I hope that we will see you again next time you visit the area.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Sheffield Parkway

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel was easy to find , very clean and well looked after. I went with my teenage daughter as I'm a single parent and we both loved the whole weekend. Our room was the quietest I've ever stayed in and the shower was fabulous. Dinner was very good, breakfast was lovely with a large choice of hot and cold food.
All of the staff were friendly and curteous and made our stay very enjoyable. I would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you very much for the great review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay! All the comments we receive on this website and others are always passed on to the team who are always extremely happy to hear that guests have enjoyed the hotel.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in this hotel overnight as part of a coach trip and were really impressed from arrival to departure. The reception staff were very quick and efficient and super friendly. Our room was immaculate, very spacious with a bathroom that would rival some in Las Vegas that I have stayed in. The food was superb: cooked to perfection and piping hot. The restaurant staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble and they were always cheerful. The bar is very modern with loads of comfortable high back seats and the prices were surprisingly reasonable. We wanted to go into Rotherham for the night and the receptionist arranged a taxi and gave us some ideas of places to go. Overall this hotel is modern, very clean and all of the staff are brilliant. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for the great review. I am very pleased that you had such a good stay with us and delighted that you enjoyed your room.
We work very hard to maintain a high standard and it is always great to see that reflected in the comments we receive.
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel was part of a weekend break for a visit to Chatsworth. Well, we could not fault it. Young lady on reception when we arrived was "bubbly" and very helpful, room was great, huge King size bed, lovely clean en suite bathroom with power shower , room was spotlessly clean with cofee and tea making facilities. Dinner and breakfast both days were great, plenty of variety, have as much as you like for breakfast. Staff were all very good and everyone of them said to us "have a nice day." Car parking was easy with a large car park and very convenient for the M.1.
I would certainly stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying near Sheffield/ Rotherham

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the lovely review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be so friendly.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We must say how pleased we were that we took the plunge through Travelzoo and booked the Chatsworth weekend.
The room was clean, spacious and well appointed, far better than we expected. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful and the restaurant food was superb. So much so, that we went back to eat there on the second night.
Can't believe how little we paid and the tickets for the house and gardens at Chatsworth were included as well!
Our nights were exceptionally quiet with very little noise despite the hotel being full.
We would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to others and would definately be using this hotel if we're in this area again.

1  Thank Jaginvestor
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for the lovely review. I am very pleased that you had such a good stay. The value for money we offer is something we are very proud and work very hard to maintain.
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed as part of the Chatsworth 2 night deal and was very happy with the value for money. This hotel is not your standard Premier Inn /Holiday Inn, it is a cut above as demonstrated by the quality of fixtures and fittings in the public areas and bedrooms from the chrome electric sockets to the quilted, scented toilet paper. The bedroom was spacious and well designed , with a curved wall to the bathroom which made a pleasant change from the bog standard square room layout. The bathroom has a large shower cubicle with sealed pvc type lining which was sealed from floor to ceiling so no joints and no ugly discoloured grouting. The shower was hot and powerful The Hotel was spotlessly clean throughout, how many times have you been to a "posh" hotel or restaurant only to walk into the toilets and find toilet paper and fag ends all over the floor ??? Not here !
There was excellent Wi-Fi in the bedrooms as well as the public areas, the staff, without exception were friendly and efficient. We ate both nights and have no complaints about the food or service, even the bar prices were not over the top.
There is a seating area outside the front of the hotel ,next to the car park but it's good for catching the late afternoon sun, unfortunately it's also great for catching secondary lung cancer from the smokers who monopolize the area so non smokers just enjoy the air conditioned lounge which is also double glazed so you can't hear the non stop coughing.
If I am ever in that part of the country again this will be where I will be staying.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewDeighan, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. I am very pleased that you liked what we offer and enjoyed your stay so much.
The high standard is only maintained by listening to our guests so it is always brilliant to know that we have delivered what we hoped.
Thank you very much for staying with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed on business, clean, basic hotel, food is awful, canteen standard. Staff are hopeless and on leaving my bill was wrong. When I questioned this the lady on reception said there was nothing she could do about it, took my receipt from me, threw it on the desk and walked off. Won't be going back!

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your comments. Having read the comment card that you left at the time I am slightly disappointed that your view of us whole seems to have deteriorated so significantly in the month since you stayed and I feel it is important to add some detail to your comments.

Your comment card also states that you did not like the food, this is of course regrettable and had you mentioned it during your meal I know that we would have offered you an alternative immediately, we get generally positive feedback for the food we serve (the reviews on this website plus all of the others are testament to that) so I am sorry that the dishes you selected were not to your liking.

With regards to our hopeless staff, the reviews on this website and all of the others would suggest that hopeless is not a particularly fair description.

I acknowledge that there was a situation with your bill at checkout, however the way you have chosen to describe it is unfair in the extreme.
In hindsight the member of staff who checked you out would certainly have dealt with the situation differently and the positive thing for me is that she was keen to learn from it and will be well equipped to deal with such situations in the future. It is also important to point out that the error you describe had been checked and signed for at least twice by yourself prior to checkout.

I am sorry that you will not return but thank you for choosing to stay with us in the first instance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby
Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North

Been to Mercure Sheffield Parkway? Share your experiences!