“Facilities dreadful but staff tried to help”

The Brentwood Hotel
The Brentwood Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Loma Linda, California
“Facilities dreadful but staff tried to help”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night (6-7 May 2011) to break up a long drive, having booked on lastminute.com. FInding it was straghtforward with a satnav (M18 then about five miles on local roads) but would probably be difficult without, and there was no problem parking. Then the fun began. We were waiting at reception for a good 7-8 minutes to check in, ringing the bell at regular intervals and asking every staff member who walked past (there weren't many) for help checking in.

Eventually we got our keys. The first room we were given reeked of tobacco smoke and my partner, who is asthmatic, couldn't stand it. So we rang reception for help ... and the phone just rang and rang. Eventually I had to get dressed again and walk to reception, and once again there was a ten-minute search of the building to find anyone. The lady was very apologetic: the hotel is all non-smoking, she explained, and so the previous occupant of our room must have been naughty. Still, I wasn't impressed that the cleaner missed it, of which more later. She moved us to another room. This one smelt a lot better, but the drain was completely blocked and the bath had filled up to knee level from the shower within seconds and wouldn't drain. Furthermore, there were no light bulbs in any of the wall lamps: presumably someone had nicked them, and again the cleaner who'd serviced the room had not noticed. Once again I phoned for help, got no reply and had to go down myself. Finally it was a case of third room lucky, but even then a noisy air conditioning split unit right outside the window kept me up for most of the night.

Finally, on the way to check out, the smoke mystery was solved. There, in the ground floor corridor, was the cleaner's cart, complete with an ashtray and a smouldering fag on top!

Unless you're on a VERY tight budget or want an authentic taste of Fawlty Towers, this is definitely a place to avoid. In fairness, the staff did do their best to try to solve the problems we encountered, once I'd managed to get hold of them, which was only with extreme difficulty. I also don't like the health and safety implications of the reception phone being unmanned, especially if a guest is trying to phone for help following an accident or medical emergency.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bedbugged

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
yorkshire
Reviewed May 2, 2011

After checking in at 3.30pm, we were given our key and went to the room to find that it had not been cleaned, with the last occupants messed up bed and piles of wet dirty towels on the floor! A bit taken aback we went back to reception to report that the room wasn't cleaned to which we were told by the receptionist "yes i know just leave your bags in there and the chambermaid will get round to it in about 10 minutes". Not even an apology! Stunned, we said we would wait in the car where we phoned and booked another hotel! We didn't return to see if the room had eventually been cleaned! Other than that jaw dropping experience, our impressions were of a shabby, run down and depressing place. The dirty room we saw bore no resemblance whatsoever to the photos on the website. The glass panels in the front door were smashed and it seemed more like a doss house than a hotel! We lost our money as we had made a credit card reservation but worth it not to have to stay there!

Room Tip: Stay away unless you want to clean your own room!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deltablues

Travelers are raving about these Rotherham hotels

England
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I dont know how this happened but I stayed one night and ending up paying for three nights accommodation. I have requested a common sence responce from the hotel manager but his " computer says no" mentality and "company policy" means that I have paid three times. Beware of the rigid cancellation rules that appear to apply when it suits the hotel. There are other hotels in the locality that dont have this attitude. I wont be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike_the_plumb
derby
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Only stayed here 1 night but was pleasantly surprised. Booked a great deal on line for a Friday night @ £29.00 and expected very little for that. The Hotel is quite stunning to look at. Good parking and easy access. Reception was a little slow but very friendly. The pub is a bit like Wetherspoons but with a better menu.
Our room was again a pleasant surprise. With a comfotable bed, enough room and a full bathroom , the shower was superb! Flat screen TV on the wall with numerous channels was a bonus.
Breakfast was adequate but at less than £7.00 for the full english as well as everything else was good enough. Check out was quick and courteous.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, 28th and 29th December 2010 for £29.50 per room per night. The room was ample, we just wanted a base as we were visiting family. You could have breakfast at an additional cost of £6.95 per person, and you had a choice of juices, cereals, continental and cooked. We both opted for the cooked and it was lovely, just enough. Fresh coffee you could help yourself to. The service was excellent in this hotel and I was rather surprised considering the age of the staff, quite young and they could not do enough for you and that includes the bar staff. We all decided to come to the Brentwood on Wednesday night for a meal. Fantastic value, a large mixed grill for £7.50 each, and a varied choice of mains with a 2 for £10 deal. The steak was delicious and having been to TGI Fridays in the Meadowhall earlier that day, the Brentwood knocked spots of them. Great value and we will return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I'd like to say how rubbich this hotel is to put people off so I could always get a room, but I've stayed twice and both times the rooms were very clean, well equiped and absolutely fantastic value for money.

The food in the restaurant is excellent value for money, very filling and lots of choice.

This really is an excellent place to stay and I don't know what it was like prior to the refurbishment but it matches up to some of the hotels I have stayed in that charge twice as much.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I have read the other review for the Brentwood and all that I can say is that I must be staying at a different hotel! I think that the place was refurbished at the back end of last year. I have been staying there regularly since January of this year and I can't give it enough praise!

I am used to working and living away from home and I usually judge the places that I stay based on 4 things: The cleanliness of the hotel and comfort of the bed (it's no fun having a rubbish bed when you are away from home), the friendliness of the staff (I like friendly staff who make me feel welcome but don't forget that I'm a paying guest), the shower (it's no fun having cold or powerless showers when you are away from home) and finally the food! The food is good, honest pub food - they'll never get a Michellin Star but then again I'm always full on 3 courses that are well prepared and tasty for less than £20 with a drink (shame I stay here alone as they also have a permanent 2 for 1 deal)!

It's a good all round (budget) hotel that I am now resident in until I move to my next contract (probably) in September 2008.

• Liked — The staff are great, the place is clean and the food is filling and tasty
  • Disliked — No pool or Gym but it is a "budget" hotel after all
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)