“A gem”
Review of Rockingham Arms

Rockingham Arms
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Have just returned today from a lovely weekend in Wentworth. We planned the visit for my partner to experience a footplate ride and to drive the steam train at Elsecar Heritage Railway which was a fantastic experience, staff at the railway were so helpful and special gratitude to Mr Tilling who accomodated the booking and couldnt have done more on the day.
We booked to stay at the Rockingham Arms in Wentworth Village and not being someone who posts on Trip Advisor felt that credit is not always given when good service is received but we shout when we receive bad service.
We could not have asked for any better service by the staff, they were very helpful and accomodating. The room we stayed in (room 6) we could not fault at all. Nice to have the accomodation opposite the pub with its own little garden. We dined at the Rockingham Arms (breakfast and evening meal). No complaints at all, very reasonably priced and no waiting for too long. The village is a little gem and everyone very friendly.
I would certainly recommend anyone who is planning a business trip to Barnsley or Rotherham to stay here as it is very relaxing and something different from those big chains with the added advantage of greenery.
We enjoyed our stay so much (which was only meant to be for the Saturday night) that we stayed another night which the staff arranged very efficiently.
We will certainly go back.
Thank you very much for our relaxing stay Rockingham Arms.
Jac and Mike

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Have eaten (and drank) here twice this week, at the end of a cycle up the trans-pennine trail from Manvers. This beer garden on a sunny day is second to none, plenty of space to leave the bike, there's a decent rang of local beers and the food is pretty good for the money. Will no doubt be back again next time the sun is out, really nice pub in a picture-postcard village which would be raved about if it was anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 606gerald
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We have just held our wedding reception at the Rockhingham Arms and everything about it was absolutely fantastic from the food to the accommodation we could not fault it the staff just could not do enough for us and they made the day even more enjoyable and memorable than we could have ever expected.We would like to give a very special thank you to Michelle who coordinated the whole event for us our praise for her hard work and her enthusiasm could never be high enough all we can say is the Rockhingham Arms should cherish and look after her.All our guests were very complimentary and all of them said what a fantastic venue it was and how they had enjoyed it once again thank you very much.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank alan h
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Can't help been disappointed with this place, such a mixed bag and could be a great deal better, it's average score is raised by the fact the pub and food is pretty good but the accommodation isn't. I booked the most expensive room, I needed some space to work for a few hours and I thought the executive would have had a desk good wi fi etc etc. firstly I checked in and was told I couldn't have anything charged to the room, in case I didn't pay! Oh right so I'll pay as I go then? The executive room was anything but and I was in no position to argue, I checked in early to complete a report, the internet is cloud internet and is incredibly slow, to the point I had to ring a colleague some 13 miles away in up the M1 if I could use his office space. The room was dark, stuffy and although clean, it is badly in need of an upgrade. The "sleigh bed" is too low, the mattress cheap and lumpy, the bathroom, again clean didn't have any shower gel in the bath. No water is supplied in the room and all this for £85, not good enough I'm afraid. The positives are the bar, if you can beat the dogs to a table you'll be okay, the atmosphere is pretty cheerful and the staff are helpful, but... You can't run a tab in the bar....just in case you don't pay!! Gives you a sense of distrust and it's not welcoming especially as I met a colleague for dinner. Dinner was good and the breakfast served in a roomy well decorated restaurant was very good

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockingham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Andrew S

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Rockingham Arms with regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

John Barras

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed at Rockingham Arms as we were invited to family wedding in Rotherham. Wentworth is a lovely village and there is not much traffic passing through on the road through over the weaken we stayed. The pub is lovely, serving a decent range of beers, guest ales, etc. The staff were welcoming and happy to help. The food was good as well. The accommodation was across the road, with it's own parking. We stayed in the family room which was spacious, clean and had ironing board, iron as well as tea/coffee and kettle. Breakfast was excellent, with a lovely full English.
We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room on the ground floor is spacious.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Living in the local area, I have visited this pub on many occasions over the past few years and recently the menu has changed, personally I think it is a better menu with fresher food. The previous meal deal grub wasn't great and was standard pub grub. Anyway to this visit, Good Friday ... lovely sunny day and a busy Wentworth. The staff were working really hard and I noticed a few little touches made a lovely atmosphere. A gazebo in one part of the outside area, and music. A dog bar, with water bowls and treats for the pooches. They had a good Friday Fish and Chip deal on offer and ploughman's lunches, however only after a light bite on this occasion, I opted for a sharing platter with my friend and a side of sweet potato fries. The platter consisted of chicken wings, sausages, olives, churro's, a ham style croquette and relishes. The Korean chicken wings were very tasty and so were the sweet potato fries, personally I think the food prices are reasonable. The staff appear to be working really hard to improve the pub, and I look forward to eating there again. In addition they have a great range of wines and ale too. Jugs of Pimms might be a good idea for the summer.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

After frequenting the Rockingham over the years and not having been for a while we decided to go for tea out. We arrived at the pub and the car park was pretty empty even though it was a Tuesday but normally you have a job getting space. Once in the pub it was quite empty which was a surprise because normally on any night it used to be busy. Firstly there were no menu's on the table and then when we did find them they were new menu's with none of the deals they used to have. The prices were expensive for what was on the menu but as we were there orderd food. The food took ages to arrive even though it wasn't busy! The portions were small, tinned garden peas instead of frozen fresh, the smallest bit of so called colslawe. We even queried it with the waitress who said that was the portion size! I questioned if there was new management and was informed yes someone else had taken over the pub. How many new managers does one rural pub require? A very dissapointing meal, not value for money and wont be going again! This is such a lovely pub in a great location and could be fantastic again with a great atmospher!!! My suggestion go to the Brentwood for tea out, excellent food, service, comfortable and value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockingham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Rotherham1969

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Rockingham Arms in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

John Barras

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Ibis Rotherham East
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby
3 mi away
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Rockingham Arms? Share your experiences!