“Below average fish and chips”
Review of Whitby's

Whitby's
Ranked #7 of 317 Restaurants in Rotherham
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: AT WHITBY'S ITS OUR AIM TO MAKE YOUR VISIT THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE. WHETHER YOU CHOOSE OUR TOP QUALITY FISH AND CHIPS, A TASTY PIE OR SALAD EVERYTHING IS FRESHLY PREPARED IN OUR KITCHEN JUST FOR YOU. WHITBY'S HIGHLY VALUE ALL OUR CUSTOMERS AND WE INTEND THAT YOU LOVE THE EXPERIENCE AND LEAVE WITH A BIG WIDE SMILE. WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN. 5 Star rating for food and value Experienced, friendly staff Family sized tables Party bookings welcome (private/society/coach/birthdays) Fully licensed Full disabled access Major credit cards accepted Free car parking Gluten free options available
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Its a nice clean restaurant and staff are attentive and polite but that has to be the end of the positives.

Coke with way too ice and not much coke. Stale cold chips some clearly cooked some time ago and the portion for the price is small.

I think what topped it off are the extras. The beans were low quality as was the bread.

I really wouldn't bother coming here.

There are newer reviews for Whitby's

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We have been regular customers since opening, with the salmon salad being my favourite. On my last visit the salmon fillet was served flaked ( a one off I thought) so tonight I requested it to be served as a whole fillet. Despite the waitress making a special request it still came flaked ! On querying why, was told it how " the management " want it served. This is a lovely, clean and pleasant place to visit, so I hope this isn't the thin edge of the wedge with standards starting to slip. " management " please listen.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We visited the restaurant about 3 months ago and had an excellent meal and decent service . Given this we definitely wanted to visit again .
On Monday we made a return visit and found the restaurant clean and well presented ,service was good ,and we looked forward to our meal .
Fish was excellent as were the mushy peas but the chips were absolutely rubbish . I really could have done far better just in my frying pan at home . Was the chip oil too old or did they try to refry old chips ? . I don't know but they were awful .
Really want to come again but there's a big question mark on the chips which are an integral part of a fish and chip meal .
I had planned to bring my 89 year old father here for a treat but I think we would need to bring our own chips if that was possible !!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Whitby's has to be my husbands favorite eating place... however since its opend I feel its not as good. The last twice I've been I've found it to be greasy, as in a pool of it under the fish! The chips have not been nice at all - varying from almost cold to just not nice tasting. We visited on 31 March and I decided to have steak pie. That might seem an odd choice in a fish and chip restaurant but see my earlier comments regarding the fish! Now the pie arrived along with chips and garden peas. A little very thick gravy on the pie. The meat wasn't especially tender, the peas were quite firm and the chips so so. The crust on the pie was very soft and had clearly been microwaved.

The thing which I found galling though (and mean of Whitbys) was that the extra gravy (so thick it wouldn't pour) was an extra charge. Who can eat pie with no gravy? Especially when its so thick? Also they charge for bread and butter and tea...

Previously we happily travelled to Wakefield to the Wetherby Whaler - tea, bread and butter, extra gravy are all included.

Next time I want fish and chips that's where I'll be heading.

2  Thank Annette W
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I'm talking about the takeaway canto the restaurant ! Called 8.30 on Saturday evening . Fish over cooked and chips like scraps , never going again , waste of money

1  Thank missblowfuse