“Great to see inside at last”

Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust
Ranked #1 of 41 things to do in Rotherham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We've passed Wentworth Woodhouse many times on walks over the years as we live locally, so we were thrilled to find it was now open for tours.
We had a lovely sunny day and enjoyed seeing the friendly BBC film crew at their work too.
I disagree with the last reviewer, as what we loved was seeing the house in its transition, before all the rooms have been restored, and I much prefer to have no furniture than rooms crammed with 'period' furniture with no attachment to the house.
We had a great tour guide who was informative about both the history of the house and the restoration work being carried out.
They have even put a little cafe in near the entrance, which we didn't visit as we had a meal ready at home, but a cup of tea and a cake would have been welcome otherwise.
The sheer size of the house and the columns, and the elaborate ceilings and plasterwork, and the beautiful marble floor in the Marble Hall were all very impressive.
It was also great to be able to chat, on the way out, to a gentleman who has worked on the estate for the past 42 years.
The friends we brought along loved the tour and we would definitely bring other friends here.

2  Thank Adelai
in 10 reviews
"restoration work"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Me and a friend booked the fitzwilliam tour minus garden at a cost of £20 each. To say we were disappointed is an understatement, the tour lasted 50 minutes in total, although this is advertised to last 1 hour 45 minutes! also having looked on the internet when back home we were not shown any of the rooms stipulated for the Fitzwilliam tour, but were shown rooms stipulated for the Strafford tour for £15. This house (in my opinion) is in no way ready for the public to view, the rooms are totally bare of furniture and the walls are stripped of any paintings, its a total blank canvass. Going down the oak staircase and into the 'pool room' is like taking your life into your own hands, in total darkness, no lighting, i advise you to hold on tight to the banister! Also if i want to look at a pool table i can always nip down the road to my local. I can understand why there is a tour guide, as there is nothing to look at, your only option is to listen to them speak!! which if you already know the story of Wentworth Woodhouse, then i recommend you take some match sticks. Also although we never counted the rooms we entered, no way on earth did we see 23 as also advised!! We tried to voice our disappointment only to be told to come back in 10 years and we would see a big difference! i think that says it all. Save your money, or get you moneys worth spending it on any other stately home around the country, there cant be one worse than this! What a rip off!! The BBC are filming here at the present time, up to christmas, so the house HAD to be open, strange how it has just opened to the public too after 60 years, could'nt possibly be a money making idea could it?

6  Thank debbie w
david a, Front Office Manager at Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Wentworth Woodhouse. We value all our feedback from our visitors whether it’s positive or in very few cases negative. We are still developing the house and as you are well aware “Rome was not built in a day”
David
House Guide

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Recently I went on the full Fitzwilliam Tour of the house and gardens with a friend and what a journey through history we had, it was wonderful. Our House guide 'Robert' was a wealth of knowledge and had a story to tell for every object and room of interest, as did our garden guide.

The house is a total marvel and a must see for anyone who has grown up looking at this most beautiful structure. I think the fact that the BBC regularly film at the location, is a good reference for the luxurious and bespoke surroundings that Wentworth Woodhouse offers.

I am sure that now the coal board have finally had their day in court and lost (again and again), they will now put back what they so wrongly destroyed, as on the tour the house is scarred with subsidence and I wish Mr Newbold all the success in bringing this local gem to its former glory.

Simply Stunning!

1  Thank Grecian_Goddess82
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I would like to say a BIG thank you to all involved, for our tour day! The house and grounds are fantastic, as indeed were our guides! The BBC were filming at the time of our visit, but that certainly didn't affect my appreciation of such a magnificent house - it just added to my overall interest and enjoyment! The guides and other people working there, were very friendly, informative and helpful. The whole of the tour day, including lunch, was very well organised and delivered. It is such a treat to be able to visit the house now and I will certainly return, to appreciate the great work, that is ongoing there! Many thanks again!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 26, 2013

After many years of staring at this magnificent home from the out side and literally 'aching' to see inside, I was absolutely delighted to, at last, walk through the doors for the first time on the short tour (£10). What a treat to be stood inside and looking out of the window instead of being stood at the bottom of the vast lawn looking in! Having read the history of the house I was fully aware that the place is almost completely empty. No matter, in fact to see this house as it is now (2013) was magical. It was as if it was caught in time and what a privilege to see it just as it was left when all the furniture was taken out. I realise how some may be disappointed but if you want to view this awesome house please read it's history first it's fascinating and intriguing. There are not may stately homes that you can wander inside each room, usually the rooms are roped off, but because Wentworth is largly empty this is possible. After our first visit my husband, sister and I went back for the long tour including the gardens which did not disappoint. After leaving the back of the house it was a short walk through the trees to the most breathtaking vista I've ever seen. Amazing. Our tour guide Robert was a pleasure to listen to and I'm sure if people ask him questions he would be more than happy to answer. I was too in awe of the whole place to utter a word. I even love the smell of the place! My husband and I are now waiting to go back for the Christmas tour and dinner in the Pillared hall. We would never have imagined that we would be having dinner there some day. If you are thinking of visiting Wentworth Woodhouse,,think outside of the box,,it's not like any other stately home,,it's a work in progress and as a tourist attraction is in its infancy so be prepared for that. The walls of this house speak to you and there are visible signs of it's history and how it came to be how it is today. Mr Clifford Newbold and his family have done a magnificent job with the house and are very gracious in allowing one of the tours to go right up to the door of his private apartments. Long may he reign and God Bless him. Can't wait to go back at Christmas and I'm sure we will be back time and time again as things progress.

5  Thank DebMarkham