“Vintage car rally!”

699 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,806 helpful votes
“Vintage car rally!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were on one of my favourite walks from Elsecar & stumbled across a Vintage car rally here. This is a lovely old house in the middle of an ancient deer park, with follies & mature woodland.
I would have preferred the car rally not to be there as it was busier than I would have liked or expected, but this place is a lovely place for a stroll.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Leedsaway67

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Expensive but worth it!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We went on the £25 tour and it was excellent. I have seen this place from the footpath for years and I was determined to see inside even if it did seem an awfully large sum of money. In the event I felt we had pretty good value for our £25. It is clearly "work in progress" and all visitors should bear this in mind but for someone who had been wondering just how grand it had been in its heyday the tour satisfied my curiosity and the size of the place is even more awe-inspiring from the inside! No furniture or furnishings of note so just go to admire the architecture. It is a pity that the Georgian part is not really included in the tour but as this is still in use as a residence, I guess this is the reason. The guide was excellent and was able to answer most questions. Go to the loo before you start the tour, it's a long way back if you need it once the tour has started!

2 Thank 895brk
Yorkshire
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“An excellent tour.”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

To take a walk around this beautiful house is sensational. the guide was excellent at bringing the history to life, and relating tales of different generations of the family. Regrettably some of the rooms need significant attention and i hope that soon all legal claims will be steeled and work can start with more vigour. This is a magnificent building which must be supported and saves as a treasure.

1 Thank 373Yorkshire
rotherham
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“FABULOUS!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My daughter bought my wife and I the full tour.
It was just FAB.
Upon entering, after having walked past it on dozens of occasions, the majesty of the place is overwhelming. The elegant entrance hall, staircases, corridors, (one with a fireplace in ?), and every room that we visited were just magic.
The tour guides were very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the future of the house.
Then we were shown 57 acres of grounds including a beautiful garden.
All in all it was a great experience and now, when we walk past it, we look on it in a different light.

5 Thank Peter R
Barnsley, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“At last - I've seen inside!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

For more years than I care to remember (and admit!), I have peered in awe at this amazing building from behind a wooden fence and dreamed of what it would look like inside.

I recently visited with my husband on a 1 hour tour (www.wentworthwoodhouse.co.uk) and we both loved every minute. The architecture is beautiful and in its heyday, it must have been a stunning house. We were not permitted to take photographs inside but were allowed to take external shots. A selection of guide books and post cards are available to buy in the small gift shop area.

Staff were approachable and knowledgeable, although we did consider the tour felt quite rushed and that more time should perhaps be allocated in order that all visitors 'burning' questions could be fully answered and particularly pertinent to the tour that we attended – an elderly lady was quite keen to share her own personal memories with the tour guide, of family employment connections to Wentworth Woodhouse, unfortunately, time did not seem to permit...

I understand that a major renovation is planned (apparently the estimated completion is 5-10 years time) which will eventually include more public access to additional areas of this magnificent house - a museum, wedding venue and hotel accommodation. Upon completion, it will be wonderful to re-visit and to maybe even spend a night in one of the hotel rooms.

I wish the owner, Mr Newbold every success in achieving his goal in returning this marvellous property back to its former glory.

Thank you for allowing us inside your wonderful house and for making one of my dreams come true!

1 Thank Jandanda