“Very knowledgeable Host”

Ranked #1 of 42 things to do in Rotherham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked the wentworth tour and were shown round by a gentleman who knew everything of the history here. It was lovely to look round again (the last time being on a school trip 30 years ago!) Lovely tea and scones after too! Would definitely recommend and will visit again for the more detailed tour of gardens etc.

5  Thank 615Lbish

Reviewed May 26, 2013

After reading the glowing reviews I was keen to visit Wentworth Woodhouse with my two children to take the opportunity to learn about local history.
On arrival I was unsure where to go and how to book the tour. We followed some other members of public towards the house to try and find a member of staff or reception area.
A man came from the house and asked if we were booked on the tour, I replied no and began to ask how to book onto the tour, I was cut off by this man who rudely told me I had past two signs which said visitor to the house only and to leave.
On the way out I looked for these signs, the only one I saw was an A4 laminated paper saying private road guests only. It was not prominent and if I had seen it I would have assumed it was referring to parking.
I would recommend anyone wishing to visit to book in advance to avoid the humiliating "telling off" if you dare to make an enquiry in person!
I was looking forward to an enjoyable day out with my children. I left feeling hurt, upset and offended by the way I was spoken to.
There are many beautiful places to visit in South Yorkshire which are friendly and welcoming, unlike Wentworth Woodhouse, so I certainly will not be visiting again.

9  Thank Lindsey B
david a, Front Office Manager at Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Firstly, I feel I should apologise as it was not my intention to offend you.
Although the house is open to the public, it is only for pre-booked tours. The house is a private residence and, as such, we have to be very careful with public access.
In order to maintain the high security of the house and estate and to comply with our Health and Safety advisors requirements, we have to be very vigilant on who enters our grounds.
Whilst we welcome all our visitors, the estate is maintained as a private residence and, as such, the public right of way is through the park, not across the front lawn. Hence we have the cattle grids and fences.
There are very visible signs at all entrances saying this is Private Property and that there is No Public Access.
I hope you will reconsider your decision not to re-visit Wentworth Woodhouse as it is one of the “gems” of South Yorkshire
David
House Guide

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Quality old building , did not go inside but grounds are ok for walking in and you get a good view of the house.No charge to get in the grounds, you have to prak outside the gates, no obvious because just says Private Road.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

What an amazing place!

I came here on the Wentworth tour for my birthday with my boyfriend and parents.

I guess I am a little biased as I have always had a huge interest in Wentworth since I discovered it through my boyfriend 5 years ago. Who knew this amazing village and house was only 16 miles away from my home.

The tour was fantastic and covered a lot of the main attractions of the house. Every room gave me goosebumps. The tour guide was lovely and charming. It's worth £10 of anyone's money.

Please come along have a fantasic tour and a then have a lovely lunch in Wentworth, followed by an afternoon in the garden center. I think we all have a duty to ensure future generations get to see this magnificent place. I just hope by the time this place gets up and running as A wedding venue I have saved up enough to afford it because nothing compares to this.

5  Thank Becky M
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have only ever walked past this house but the grounds are amazing and the park is full of deer. There is a rich history to the house and much of this can be looked up. If you ever have a few Sunday afternoon check out this jem in the centre of Yorkshire

2  Thank Richsnaith69