“So Serene”
Review of Roche Abbey

Roche Abbey
Ranked #10 of 39 things to do in Rotherham
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in a peaceful and picturesque wooded valley, Roche Abbey was founded in 1147, with stonework dating back to around the 1180's. Thanks to Capability Brown who landscaped the area in the 18th Century, we now boast the most complete foundations of any Cistercian monestary in the country. Although most of the excavated ruins are low lying, the transcepts still stand to their original height. Roche Abbey is closed during the winter months, re opening again March 2015. The woodland walks around the area are accessible and parking is still available.
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“So Serene”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I’ve been to Roche Abbey several times over the years and it never loses its appeal, mainly for its magnificent setting in a wide limestone gorge, which you can fully explore without the need to enter the English Heritage site itself.

Unless there is a special event on, I’d now be a little reluctant to pay the £3.50 entrance fee, which would only enable me to get that little bit nearer to the extensive ruins that can be seen on this site – unless I really wanted to take advantage of the very best viewpoints for taking photographs. Although impressive in scale, for me there just aren’t enough interesting little details to keep me paying for return visits.

Whilst I’ve never done this myself, when I visited on the sunny May Day bank holiday Monday, there were many people enjoying a picnic both outside and inside the grounds of the abbey.
The only reason why I don’t visit this place more often is that you do really need a car to get here, unless you want to walk the mile and a half from Maltby, where the nearest bus service can be found.

Combined with a trip to Conisbrough Castle, which is only 7 miles away, a visit to Roche Abbey is a must for visitors to South Yorkshire...and there is Brodsworth Hall too.

Highly Recommended.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank ScottEngering

Rotherham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Nice afternoon walk”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Excellent place to visit for a picnic or a wander in the surrounding area - quite an imposing ruin with lots of history and an aura of mystery

Visited September 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best English Heritage Sight In Yorkshire.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Out of any English Heritage sight in Yorkshire Roche Abbey has to be my favourite! It's a beautiful sight and on top of that kind and welcoming staff. I was there for hours looking round the sight and it was very peaceful. I occasionally go to Roche for quiet so then I am able to read my book or finish it. I've been to the Abbey for a few years now and it has always left a smile on my face and I plan to be visiting in many more years to come.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank RebecaJackson81
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Roche Abbey”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went here on Saturday and while the ruins are stunning and the place is idyllic, the £3.50 admission cost is a little step. We also walked around the Roche abbey valley, which is some well-maintained woodland, walks however, be sure to have some boots as it can be a little water logged in places. This is a great place to bring a family or as a couple. Only down side, 20 minutes and you have seen everything

Visited May 2013
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
280 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 205 helpful votes
“Wonderful historic ruin”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Roche Abbey must have been a majestic structure in days before it was given over to the crown and ransacked back in 1538 during the dissolution. One certain king has a lot to answer for....that's for certain. The ruins are maintained by English Heritage and a small fee is payable. There is lots to explore around the ruins and visitors with children need to be extra vigilant as there is a strong flowing river aside, amongst and beneath the ruins.

Outside the English Heritage site there are riverside, pondside and woodland walks. Lots to see but good waterproof footwear is recommended as there are very muddy patches along the walkways.

Visited April 2013