“A little run down but fine for a short stay”

Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Spent one night here July 26 2013 to attend a family birthday party nearby. Hotel is in need of some TLC but I understand it is being refurbished at the moment. Staff friendly and efficient, Room clean if a little shabby in places. Biggest bed I have ever slept in and was very comfortable. Only downside was being on the third floor the ridicules design means you are in the roof and the ceiling at one side slopes down giving a rather claustrophobic feel. Also the window is a strange shape as the top slopes down to one end which means the curtains cannot be opened only draped and held back back by ties. This makes the room rather dark in day time and not helped after dark as there is no ceiling light just a standard lamp and bedside lamps which again makes the room a bit dismal. Overall we had a nice stay and would recommend the hotel for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on third floor as they are in the roof and have sloping ceilings.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MGRROTH, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. The hotel is indeed being refurbished at the moment and we are delighted with the results so far. I'm glad you had a pleasant stay and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33

Reviewed June 27, 2013

As others have said, this hotel is somewhat tired and the doors, corridors and carpets all show signs of distress.
Indeed during my stay I saw quite bit of repair work being done, albeit running repairs rather than any facelift which if it is to increase its rates from the lower end of the market, £70 weekday, £50 weekend, it will need to do.
But the hotel is well run, clean and efficient. Prices are reasonable, the breakfast is good, food quality is well above average. It's not a bad place to spend a night and is convenient for the M1. Beware however, satnav will take you to the wrong place, by a few hundred yards, but even so, it can be confusing. The secret is to use the address and not the postcode, and keep your eyes peeled!
If you're an IHG program member don't expect any free upgrade but I did receive a free newspaper, fruit, kitkat and spring water, so it's not all bad...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
MGRROTH, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review.

The running repairs you noticed were simply the preliminary works taking place at the start of our fantastic refurbishment program. This means by the end of September all bedrooms will be completely refurbished and they will also have new air con and heating. The corridors and staircases will have new décor, carpets and lighting too.

Anyone staying during the refurbishment will face minimal or no disruption, as all works are taking place between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday and confined to one area at a time.

If we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future you will be delighted with the changes and we do offer upgrades to platinum members when we have them available. The new refurb will also give us an extra 3 executive rooms and enable us to do this more often.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

By standard to many chain hotels, this Holiday Inn is very tired.

Everything about this hotel is "dated", from the layout to the decoration. Also, it has been many years since I have stayed in a hotel room with plug in heaters and no air conditioning.

That said there were some positives:

The reception staff were exceptionally polite and helpful, as were the bar staff later in the evening when the group descended on them

The hotel is clean with new pillows on the beds and white fluffy towels (always important to me !)

Breakfast was organised and plentiful.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a hotel, but its a convenient location for Rotherham, and we only paid £54 for the room inc. breakfast.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are easily accessible and very quiet (away from the bar and events areas)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you found many aspects of your stay good and I am delighted to report that a major refurbishment has now started.

All 104 of our bedrooms are currently being fully refurbished from floor to ceiling in a fantastic contemporary design and they will all have air conditioning.

All bedroom corridors and the main stair case are also being completely refurbished as we speak with new décor, lighting, carpets etc.

So please try us out again in the near future and you will find a product that matches the fantastic team of staff we have in the hotel and the dated feel gone.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Not a great hotel but it did its job. However, the water in the rooms is either very hot or very cold and hard to have a shower because of this. I was also given a disabled room which i did not mind, but there is a neon green light which illuminates the whole room during the night and makes sleeping hard. What also makes sleeping hard is that it is a very noisy hotel next to a busy road and doors are constantly slammed I was there on a training course for 2 weeks and did not once have a good nights sleep. The plus side was they had a swimming pool and gym but overall a poor hotel.

Room Tip: Opposite side to the main road might reduce some of the noise
1  Thank Wiggy030782

I was very disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay and I'm sorry your experience wasn't a better one. We have 2 accessible rooms in the hotel and the water temperature is lower in those rooms, for safety reasons, than in all the other rooms. This is a safety standard in most branded hotel chains.

The green light you mention is a small green bulb within an emergency light to indicate that it is working and ready for use if needed in case of a power cut for example. It does glow in the darkened bedroom in a similar fashion to a bright mobile phone screen when its on or an alarm clock radio for example, so I apologise that this disturbed you.

Unless the accessible room is specifically booked we do not normally allocate it to anyone staying multiple nights. I have been unable to identify any time in June where this did occur, to enable us to understand why this might have happened, so again please accept my apologies.

As I have been unable to identify your stay from the review, unfortunately I am unable to contact you but if you would like to speak to me, so that I may offer some kind of resolution and restore your faith in the hotel once again, then please contact me at the hotel on
01709 830630 and I would be happy to do so.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived late at night but were still greeted by a very polite receptionist. We asked for a twin room and were given number14 which was a 'conference suite' room. The room had two large very comfartable queen size beds , large tv and tea/coffee station. The room including the bathroom were clean and well presented .
We only had time for a quick drink at the bar but again very courteous and pleasnat seating areas with lots of room.
What a great introduction to the people of Rotherham . The hotel is in areally convenient location just off the M1 (junction 33) and only a short drive of about 15 minutes from Sheffield centre.Would happily use again if I am in that location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a fabulous 5 STAR review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be very friendly. I'm very proud of the team and they really appreciate your lovely feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I booked here for business in Sheffield. Most of the city centre hotels were full and I knew it was some way out of town, close to the M1. And some way it was, the dual carriageway (Parkway) was pretty congested in the rush hour and you need to allow at least 45 minutes. Another option is to go one junction up the M1 to Meadowhall shopping centre and use the park and ride to get the tram (25 mins to town) or train (8 mins to main station)
However for me this was totally counterbalanced by the hotel itself. Loads of free parking. I got a fantastic friendly reception when checking in and out, and they upgraded me to an executive room with a separate bedroom and lounge. Big, comfy bed, a few freebies (mineral water, chocs, robe) and all for less than the main Premier Inn in town
The buffet breakfast was very good for £10 (you get this cheaper rate if you pre-pay)
The final irony is one of my Managers, booked at the above-mentioned Premier Inn, arrived to be told he was bumped (they had overbooked) and he had to get a taxi out to Meadowhall and back in the next morning. And they attempted to charge him the rack rate. So I will stick with Holiday Inn any time I next go to Sheffield

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a great review. The hotel has a great location just off the M1 with easy access into Sheffield and does indeed benefit from fantastic out of town parking which is so often tricky in the city centre. I'm glad you really enjoyed your stay and was pleased to read that you would stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Last minute business plans meant I needed a hotel near the M1 and close to Sheffield/Rotherham. Chose this hotel because it was part of the holiday chain - big mistake. Bedroom = divan fabric torn and dirty, bear wires on kettle, cracked sink in bathroom and shower hose leaked at the bottom. Room faced the motorway and was very noisy due to poor glazing. Restaurant below average although bar staff friendly. Reception ok and reception area ok. Wifi didn't work in the bedroom. In general not what you would expect form holiday inn chain. Receptivity asked for my feedback on a scale of 1-10 quote 5 and she replied oh. After a silent moment she said she could the manager but I had to leave and said I would fill in Internet survey.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gorgeous H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Gorgeous H,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the level of service provided as well as the hotel conditions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service and our amenities continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A