“Pleasant stay until I tried to leave!”

Fitzwilliam Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Rotherham B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I had an early meeting in Sheffield so I had come up the night before. I checked in and paid - the service was fine and the hotel room for its price was very good and what I had wanted. My experience was overall positive until I tried to leave in the morning. I wanted to leave by 7am to make my meeting. However, when I tried to exist the building I found that the main door was locked, despite knocking and shouting no one responded and I spent the next 20 minutes trying to find a way to get out. Eventually the only way I could get out was through a fire exit only to have one of the hotel staff shout rudely at me for doing so. Seriously?!? If you are going to lock all the doors, either tell residents or give them an alternate means of exiting the building. 7am is not an unreasonable time to leave, the main doors should really be open long before then.
If you are looking for a reasonable price stay, this hotel was not a bad option but be warned if you need to leave early then I would not recommend it. The service was really very poor and I will not be returning to this hotel again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went to Emma & Jonathans wedding reception yesterday. Had a fantastic time. The food was lovely. My cousin and his wife were staying at the Fitzwilliam so we had a look at their room. It was spotlessly clean and light and airy. Although I didnt have a look at the Bridal suite, my cousin did and said it was amazing. Thanks for a lovely evening. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Great Stay and Good links to Road Links, The manager could not do enough for us, the only downside was that the receptionist always seemed to be away from her desk outside smoking, and the cleaner in the Pub/Bar on the saturday Morning was very rude and kept interupting my wife and I, and thought she was in charge rather than letting the manager deal with my question. Our Room was clean and warm "Thanks for a Nice Stay"

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was so clean, I thought it was brand new, Spacious clean room and en-suite bathroom. Helpful staff, great price. 15 minute walk to the town. I stayed here with my partner and she was happy too.

Room Tip: I stayed in the more expensive double - there was a cheaper room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

stayed over new years eve after party enjoyed it. buffet food was good, plenty of choice, staff kept the event clean and organised.
room was clean bed comfortable breakfast next morning plenty of choice and was hot not warm like in a lot of hotels.

Room Tip: as good as you will get for a small hotel well managed the main thing is it clean
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Upon arrival it took 20 mins to check in as there was no staff on reception. As we left to enter the lift we were greeted by a smell that could only be described as dirty nappies as we walked past the toilets to which we later found out there are no baby changing facilities so my sister and i put the smell down to dirty sanitary bins. When entering the room everything seemed fine until further inspection. The cups and spoons for tea and coffee were sticky and stained, the kettle was full of limescale and stale water. The toilet was far from clean the sink was covered in tooth paste. The shower didnt smell clean at all and the shower head was a disgrace! We spoke to the manager who came across as arrogant and intimidating speaking to us as if we were children and to be honest seemed a little intoxicated. I have stayed here before when it was under different mangement and never had a problem with my previous stays. The standards are slipping to the point i no longer wish to use the hotel for business trips ive seen this place go from a lovely place to be to something unfriendly filthy and uninviting. I shall be taking my business elsewhere. It maybe cheap but it pays to be somewhere clean and welcoming!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank garagegurl
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The cleanliness in the bathroom and the tea and coffee facilities were yet to be desired! Staff are rude arrogant and unhelpful! The food wasnt edible it was dry and looked like it had been left on the hotplate all day! The bed was so uncomfortable we resorted to sleeping on the floor! When I spoke to the manager she was very intimidating and arrogant! All in all it may be cheap but that's the only good thing going for it! A place I will not be staying in again!

• Stayed: November 2012