“Good value business hotel.”

Best Western Consort Hotel
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business for three nights / was allocated a nice double room with bath and shower - all services worked fine. Good breakfast from 0700 with good choice. Location is fine for business but not a tourist place or the place for that romantic weekend!

• Stayed: May 2013
BWConsort, General Manager at Best Western Consort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

On Saturday night, we arrived at 9:15pm and were told that the restaurant stop serving food at 8:45pm. This seemed a little early, but in itself was not an issue as the lovely receptionist Donna told us that there were a few good takeaways nearby and we were more than welcome to go and get some food and she would get us some plates that we could use, sit in the bar area, have a drink and eat our dinner.
When we got back from getting our food Donna informed us that we were not in fact allowed to eat in the bar (even though it was totally empty) as her manager had told her that this was not allowed. She said that we would have to eat in the reception area rather than the bar. Although this was a little embarrassing, there were not too many people coming through reception so not a massive problem. A father and his young sons had also been told the same thing.

After we had started to eat, the manager came from his office and told us that ordinarily people are not permitted to eat in the reception; 'they have to eat in their rooms'. We explained that Donna had allowed us to do this and he said that 'as we had already started our food we may continue'! Now, I am a paying customer and I will not tolerate being spoken to like some sort of naughty school child - there had clearly been some break down in communications between Donna and the manager regarding what is acceptable and it should have stayed between them as well. Donna clearly should not have allowed us to eat our dinner where we were, but this conversation should have been had between her and the manager, we should not have been bought into it at all. A Best Western member of staff had told us that we could eat our food in reception so for another member of staff to come and tell us off is completely unacceptable. Ever.
Donna was going the extra mile to provide us with exceptional customer care and your manager completely ruined that - as a paying customer I should never be made to feel uncomfortable, but I was.

In addition to our food-based incident with the manager, the room that my wife and I shared was was sub-standard as well. The window did not close fully (and given that we were facing the main road became rather noisy during the night), the blind in the shower was mouldy and when we got up on Sunday morning we discovered that there was no hot water!

The Consort Hotel is very tired, in need of some modernisation and an episode of Undercover Boss probably wouldn't go a miss either. There were no bar staff on Saturday evening, we had to hunt for a waitress to serve us breakfast on Sunday morning and the only person we came in to contact with, who was worth the time of day, had been told off for trying to make our stay more comfortable.

I would advise you to have serious words with the manager we came in to contact with (I think he is called Tony?), his ego seems to be a little more important to him than his guests. Donna should be promoted and given a badge of honour for putting up with this guy. Excellent customer care should be rewarded not rejected. I would have thought that would be Page 1 of the good hotel managers hand book - maybe Tony has not got his copy yet!? I am developing a number of properties in South Yorkshire in the next few months so I was planning on putting people up at The Consort most weekends while they are working on the units, but after this experience I will be going elsewhere.

Room Tip: As a place to put your head down for the night this place should ordinarily be fine... just don'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 555JamesB555

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry you were disappointed by your experience during your stay. Your points raised will be addressed in our Management Meeting and measures to improve will be implemented.
Our front of house service is given high focus to ensure an enjoyable guest experience, once again my apologies this was not the case on this occassion.
I hope you may return to our normal warm welcome and find our constant improvements.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very nice hotel in the outskirts of Sheffield.

Quite big Executive room with both bath and shower. Bed was so comfortable that it took me quite a while to wake up next morning!

All the staff I met during my stay (Front Desk, F&B and Housekeeping) should be praised for their good attitude, with smiling faces all around and a desire to go the extra mile so as to make my stay perfect.

I understand extra customer service is a "must" nowadays so as to improve guest experience and satisfaction, and for sure both things were more than fulfilled during my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Another overnight and what a great find.The staff were friendly and the room was a good size and very comfortable.The restaurant- bar was very quiet (only three other people )and while the menu was basic it was good home cooked food and good value .It is a shame when a good hotel is under used especially when such good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
BWConsort, General Manager at Best Western Consort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Booked via a well known online site at the last minute. I have done this with other hotels and been allocated a small room on the top floor despite the hotel being empty. Not the case here, my room would nearly has counted as a suite, loads of room with quality furnishing, and to top it off both a shower and a whirlpool bath. Heaven at the end of a long day. Arrived to late for evening meal, but breakfast was good.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us, look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

A warm welcome on a very cold night was much appreciated. A speedy check-in and then i went to my room. I had a lovely room with a very comfy bed.
The restaurant was bland and very quiet, (possibly as it was mid week & snowing!) but the staff were pleasant. Dinner - was as expected and not much choice on the menu.
I chose the porridge for breakfast, it wasnt the best!
I would consider staying there again when im working in the area as the price was very good and the room/bed was so comfy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive comments, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Was greeted with a smile staff on reception were friendly and efficient. After over 4hr drive most of which was sat in a traffic jam it was appreciated. My room was lovely and clean and had a skylight in the bathroom so natural light in the morning.
Breakfast in the week is 7am -9.30 Sunday its 7.30-9.30...may I suggest it be until 10am...was a bit early for a Sunday.
I sat for breakfast...you just grab a table so don't wait to be seated. I helped myself to fruit and yoghurt and waited...waited and waited some more. When a guest who had come in some time after me received their full breakfast and I was still waiting for a cup of tea perhaps because I was on my own it was easy to forget I was there. I attracted a waitress and asked if I could order my breakfast.she took my order but something to do with the look on her face made me feel like I was disturbing her. The food itself was lovely and hot.
I returned to my room to have a shower before I left...the shower screen is a foldable one but when opened it it did not stay in place also there was no shower gel in the dispenser.
In all fairness the stay was good but just needs a tweak here and there

• Stayed: March 2013
BWConsort, General Manager at Best Western Consort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, we are always striving to improve our service and guest feedback is important to assist us in maintaining our high standards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Ibis Rotherham East
Mercure Sheffield Parkway
Mercure Sheffield Parkway
#2 of 15 in Rotherham
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel

Been to Best Western Consort Hotel? Share your experiences!