“Motown Party Night”

Carlton Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
“Motown Party Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner Angie Ali g with 36 other friends went on the Motown Night 08/03/14. Plenty of plus and minus points so here is my honest review.

We were on a package for the event, disco and meal with an overnight stay and breakfast. We arrived at 1230pm and because of the package, we could check in early...which was great!

The room was number 215 and was absolutely lovely, cosy and immaculate so huge compliments to the housekeeping staff.

A bottle of fizzy wine (Angie said it was fine....others in our party said it was like sugary paint stripper!!!

After a nip into Rotherham we came back and used the spa facilities. The pool was great, the jacuzzi was bubbly but really tiny....4 of us in and we were cramped. The sauna was out of order and the steam room wasn't steaming.....so very much a let down as we planned to chill out for a while.

Back up to the room, nice hot bath and relaxed prior to the Motown & meal. TV was a good size and had freeview channels on it with an option of DVD rentals (nice selection!).

We went downstairs to meet with friends around 6.30pm - at first getting served in the bar was ok as it was quiet.....but as the evening progressed it got to be a 10 minute wait to get served (perhaps more bar staff needed when the hotel is fully booked?)

The meal itself was hit and miss. The starters went down well with all of our party of 38...the main courses were a different story. Ok so I appreciate it was busy but the time between courses was 45 minutes fir some of us, one table got loads of gravy/peppercorn sauce, plenty of vegetables and potatoes..and had a great meal. Our table and the next one had hardly any gravy/sauce and the veg/potatoes were badly shared out. Those waiting for gravy etc waited a good 10 mins as they'd run out.....by this time the food was cold! Puddings, coffee etc were beautiful!

The disco was good but I would say the dj you used was a bit lifeless and a good many songs he played were definitely not Motown!!!

We slept very well, comfy bed, quiet room and awoke to a beautiful breakfast downstairs. Full English, toast, coffee or tea, continental, cereal.....whatever you wanted and however much as it was help yourself.

The staff were helpful and courteous at all times.....my biggest grumble is the lack of extra bar and catering/waiting staff......and the spa facilities should be working if advertised as part of the package.

So the question.....would I come again? Possibly......but I think I would look to eat elsewhere as the food at night was poorly delivered

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Jason G, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for your comprehensive review following your visit to the hotel as a guest on our Motown Soul Night. I'm pleased that you found so much of the experience to be to your liking; however, I am concerned that the party night experience was not to your liking. I have passed your comments to the Food & Beverage Manager to act upon, along with similar reviews posted last weekend. I'm sure you can appreciate that occasionally things break down and it takes a certain amount of time for the mechanic to get to the hotel to make the repair. With the best will in the world, this is unavoidable but I do apologise that it inconvenienced you. We hope that you will give us another chance to demonstrate our usual standards of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
rotherham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Went here last night for my friends birthday booked as a party of 21 where we sat together no two separate tables one (ours) collapsed twice and let me tell you they aren't smell tables,That's the seating over now onto the meal huh.We where told we had GOT to be seated at our table fot 8.15 which we only just managed as we are all health care workers who don't finish work until 8, the annoying thing was they didn't take our order until 8.45.Now lets ge to the staff I have never ever met such a bunch of miserable young people in my life they come and grunt at you when asking wat you want and woe betide you ask for something different or an extra something,One of my friends asked for some more gravy as all they give you is two yes that's right TWO tablespoons oh my god you would have thought she had asked for a pint of his blood.So I can safely say I will never ever use ths venue again the consort suite is much better,

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank sharonhart
I'm sorry that we seem to have fallen short of your expectations on this occasion. I'm sure you understand that parties must be seated by 8.15 pm at the latest in order for the disco to begin at the scheduled time. Parties sitting down to eat any later would result in the disco being delayed which would spoil the night for the rest of our guests. All equipment in the hotel is checked regularly for safety; however, I must apologise that you had the misfortune of a faulty table leg. The table has now been taken out of action for repair. I find your observations about having to wait to be served unusual as all main courses on that evening were served by 8.45 pm. Your comments about the customer service of our service staff are of concern. Rest assured that your review has been communicated to the management team and will be cascaded down to staff. We do take feedback seriously as one of the leading providers of party nights locally.

Travelers are raving about these Rotherham hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

we had a 2 night stay at the end of feb. reception were efficient and courteous and the rooms were clean and adequate. the bar and function room service was let down by limited drinks selection and inexperienced staff, ie not putting lime or lemon in a vodka and lemonade.
overall the hotel is ok and value for money although we wont be rushing back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the hotel recently. Your comments regarding staff training have been passed to the Food and Beverage Manager and included in staff training, scheduled to take place this week. We hope to see you again at the hotel soon
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We chose this hotel because it offered smoking rooms and had fairly good reviews. The reception was very friendly and the room and bathroom clean. The Wi-Fi was steady. As others have said,the furnishings were a little tired but the price, including a good breakfast, made up for that. We didn't use the restaurant as we thought the prices surprisingly high. To sum up; the hotel is good value for money and the availability of a smoking room(thank you) much appreciated.

Room Tip: smoking rooms available
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to review our facilities and for posting a positive review. We do have a limited amount of smoking rooms at the hotel which are still popular as most hotels do not offer this facility. We hope to see you again very soon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have visited a few times now, as have family members we have recommended it too.
The first time was my hen party, a really brilliant time had by all. We arrived at 2pm, and had lunch followed by an afternoon in the spa/pool and then got ready in our rooms for the evening meal and entertainment, both of which were fantastic. Staff so lovely and accommodating, at all times, they even bought my Mother a cup of tea to her room at 1am because they didn't have any teabags in the room.
Breakfast was buffet style, and really delicious. Lots to choose from.
I have since returned for an anniversary break at the comedy club evening, and again at Valentine's with my Husband where we found it close enough to enjoy the cinema and shopping at meadowhall.
It really is a lovely relaxing place to go for an afternoon in the spa and a night away from the children! And what makes it all the more do-able is the affordability. I find both the rooms and the entertainment nights excellent value.
We look forward to many more stays here

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a lovely review! We're delighted that you find the Carlton Park Hotel to be to your liking and have attended so many of our events. Look out for the new Summer Calendar of Events on our website. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Carlton Park decor is a little stuck in the 80's and so is its food.
We ordered a starter of mixed bread with dips which was 4 or 5 rolls with three different oils all of which tasted of nothing.
We ordered two mains I had the burger which was so burned it was black but still cold. I had to send it back. When its replacement arrived it was not much better, dry, under seasoned and tasteless. My wife had the salmon which was cooked well, but very small hardly value for money at just under £14 and not what you would expect. The Hotel was disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of the Carlton Park. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience in the restaurant. Your comments are of concern as the hotel takes pride in providing good quality and plentiful portions at a reasonable price. I have passed your comments on to our Head Chef for review and thank for you for taking the time to give us feedback.
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here for a business trip and chose it because it was close to my meeting and inexpensive. Couldn't fault the comfort or the warmth of the welcome - and the free wifi was stable and reliable, which is always important when travelling on business. My room did feel like I had been transported back to the eighties, but then so did the price. Probably wouldn't choose it for a leisure trip, but for business it was ideal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jason G, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I'm pleased that you found the experience to be good value for money and hope that you will stay with us again when you are next visiting the area
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Ibis Rotherham East
Ibis Rotherham East
#2 of 15 in Rotherham
Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North

Been to Carlton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!