“this must be the worst experience I have had in a hotel - AVOID!”

Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel looks promising on arrival but as soon as you enter there is nothing but disappointment. The customer service is non existent. At times the staff at front of house are rude!!!!! The rooms are basic and some of the corridors not only smell of paint but the carpets are stained with paint. It has recently been redecorated - very badly. Very messy. The rooms are not clean - i have stayed here a few times now on business and now I will avoid it at all costs. The food is terrible - thankfully there is a pub close by to eat in.
The only plus side is there is a car park. A very bad experience and not one to be repeated or recommended. The staff don't seem to think complaints matter as their view is a business is paying for it!!!!!

Room Tip: avoid this hotel at all costs!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wewantperfect
Lisa S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Wewantperfect,

Thank you for leaving a review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Rotherham. I am sincerely sorry that your experience was not a positive one.

Your review doesn't give any specifics relating to your poor experience, I would be more than happy to discuss these with you if you were to contact me directly. I find concerns can be addressed more accurately face to face. Your comments can then be acted upon and fed back to the appropriate team or department, we are always anxious to improve where we can.

Thank you once again and I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I found this hotel to be absolutely ideal and was surprised when I arrived as I had not read any previous reviews. The first thing I noticed was the newness of the place and the room was spotlessly clean, with brand new everything.

The staff were very helpful and whilst the morning breakfast was fairly limited .. I was satisfied with to start the day.

For an overnight stay ... without doubt this is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Lisa S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear ADRCheshire,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you found the hotel to your liking. We are lucky to have a great housekeeping team who take great pride in ensuring each room is kept spotlessly clean, I will ensure your comments are passed on.

I do hope we can be of assistance to you again in the very near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very nice hotel for over night stays. staff are friendly and the rooms are excellent, really good size and comfy beds. Very Good value for the money! Breakfast is good. couldn't ask for better for your over night stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mervyn C,

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor, it is great to hear that your stay was a pleasant one.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was really comfy in the room it was clean warm and big. It was however very noisy, my fault for not changing but the room did feel very good. Staff excellent, breakfast not as good as a normal HIE which is not the best anyhow. No problem staying again tho.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Graham FH,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, I am very sorry that your stay was interrupted by noise, as you stated in your review, we would have been delighted to assist you in a room move to a quieter room, however it is great to hear that you found the comfort of the rooms and the level of service received to your liking.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

At short notice we needed an overnight hotel to attend to some family matters in South Yorkshire. Our usually-referred Premier Inns were all over £60 with breakfast, and then we saw this HIEx at £39 including breakfast and wifi.
The hotel is a new 4-storey building and is a bit clinical in appearance, although this was perhaps because there were only a few residents on the Sunday evening of our stay. It is situated at the edge of a modern business park and in the middle of new housing developments - as a kid I remember this area as a huge colliery and coke works complex - so a car is a must and there's nothing to see or do in the immediate vicinity. Our requested top-floor room seemed a bit bigger that a PI, and was minimally furnished with hanging rails and open shelves rather than wardrobe and drawers - this is not a criticism as such, more an observation of was is currently standard in budget hotels. But we did have proper twin beds, and not the more common double-and-sofabed, and full aircon, although curiously this did not extend into the bathroom. And what a bathroom, with full wetroom shower complete with riser rail and grab handles, just like at home! All in tip-top condition, and very comfortable for a short stay.
Breakfast wasn't the finest meal I've ever had, but there was plenty of cereal/bread/toast/fruit, although the hot sausages/scrambled egg/beans remained undisturbed. But it is complimentary on a low room rate, so just set your expectations at the right level and you'll be OK.
There weren't many staff on duty but they were pleasant and efficient, perhaps just a bit distant and unengaging - maybe it's a Yorkshire thing (and yes, I'm a Yorkshireman!)
We have used HIEx hotels before both in Britain and America, and have found them very good for a short stay. In that same way, this one fitted the bill admirably.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samol
Lisa S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Samol,

Thank you for leaving your review on Tripadvisor, it’s always great to hear from our guests regarding their stay with us.

I'm really happy you decided to give the hotel a try away from your usual hotel, and I do hope you will be switching brands from now on?

Next time you are in the area please let me know and I will give you some local tourist information, as lots of things have popped up locally since you were a child in the area, there's so much to do right on our doorstep.

Thank you and I do hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Lisa

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here six months ago when it was a Park Inn hotel, we were very impressed so booked again, a week before we were due to stay we received an email confirming our booking with Holiday Inn Express, so what did we think? the staff were just the same very helpful friendly, the rooms clean but pillows a bit lumpy, we stayed as a family of four so needed a family room, we had two rooms with a connecting door which was ideal for us as we have two teenagers, they had there own room, tv, bathroom ect, we had our privacy! the only disappointment was the sauna and steam room were not available and no bacon at breakfast. Other than this we would recommend this hotel for a short value for money stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Taze95,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us on Tripadvisor.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are happy with the improvements made during the re-brand of the hotel.

It is a shame that the Leisure Suite had to be removed to fit with branding requirements, however next time you stay let me know, we have just arranged for a concessionary rate at the local gym for all our guests and I will be happy to provide you with information on this service.

Lisa

Reviewed January 2, 2013

New Year's Eve 2012
I had been to this hotel before but never to stay over and thought it would be ideal for my partner and I to spend New Year's Eve.How wrong can you be?
When we arrived the two staff on reception were struggling to book the steady stream of party goers in and if you wanted a drink from the single bar with the single till you had a long wait until a receptionist was free as there were no other staff on duty.
Our room was nice and clean with a large comfy bed but when you opened the bathroom door the smell was disgusting. They obviously have a problem with the drains as we smelled the same smell later on in the dining room and around reception.
Afternoon tea was a selection of sandwiches, scones and disgusting coffee from a machine but this was only served until 4pm. There were quite a lot of guests coming in after that time and so missed out.
We joined the throng at the bar at 7.15pm - limited selection of drinks available especially on draught and expensive. More staff had come on duty but with the single till, it didnt make for speedy service.
We found our own way to our table at the party for adults only. Another party was in a separate function room for families. Shame the parents didnt see the need to keep an eye on their offspring who kept coming in to help themselves to the juice machine which was available for breakfast. (Or was it the clever parents sending them in for free drinks??) Tapas and hors d'houvres were delicious and a good selection. The soup was served hot and tasty. The haggis, neeps n tatties was tasty too but when it came to the 'carvery' it was a disaster. Now on the menu I had down loaded duck and chicken was supposed to be on but in actual fact there was a choice of beef, pork or ham which you went up to the carvery in turn to be served by the two chefs who also put a rubbery yorks pud on your plate. Later guests got a stuffing ball but this wasnt offered to us (must have been late out of the oven). Veg (consisting of burnt roast potatoes, over boiled cauliflower, carrots and swede plus roast parsnip slivers) was served in two tiny dishes along with two gravy (thin and watery) boats. Overall the main course was absolutely tasteless, in fact the only thing that had any taste was the parsnips and horseradish sauce. We were so dissapointed - I have had better school dinners back in the 60's. Desert was a choice of 3 very nice looking gateaux and cheese and biscuits followed by coffee which was undrinkable and no petit fours as stated on the menu.
The dj didn't seem to know what time it was and had us waiting for the clock to strike 12 along with BBC radio so the staff were rushing to get the midnight toast of champagne (ok fiz) to everyone in time. Bacon sandwiches were announced shortly afterwards but this proved to be a pile of rock hard breadcakes with a bigger pile of fatty bacon to help yourselves which not many of us did.
I had a good night's sleep and was surprised that the hotel was so quiet especially with so many families staying, but my advice is don't bother with the cooked breakfast - cold sausage, rubbery scrambled eggs but beans were ok! There was also a good choice of fresh fruit, yoghurts, juice, croissants and make your own toast but still the disgusting coffee in the machines.
All in all a pretty poor stay but after reading the review from gemma h I think if you borrow a few kids you may have a better time in the family party. Admitidley the staff are not much older than the kids attending and there didnt seem anyone in charge but they were pleasant enough and worked hard, so if you fancy a face painting session go ahead and book for next year.

Room Tip: ask about the drains first?
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Bikerbabe54,

Thank you for your very detailed review, and may I say how sorry I am that your experience was not a favourable one.

I am very disappointed that you feel this way - we have received a number of emails from extremely satisfied guests who attended the same party as yourself with only compliments about the level of service and the quality of the food.

All of your comments will be discussed in detail with the Food and Beverage team and we take all feedback, good and bad, on board.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience further, however I do hope you will give the Holiday Inn Express, Rotherham, the opportunity to serve you again the in the very near future.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Ibis Rotherham East
Best Western PLUS Pastures Hotel
Best Western Consort Hotel
Best Western Consort Hotel
#12 of 15 in Rotherham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Rotherham-North? Share your experiences!