“Great food and service”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Vasco's a few times before and it has always been really good but the new menu is brill. The presentation and taste of the food amazing (the duck and lamb were especially good, and the chips!!) The atmosphere is sophisticated but cosy and the service was extremely friendly and welcoming. Thankyou for a lovely evening!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Met up with some friends here last week, I must say all of us enjoyed our food (party of 8). The portion sizes aren't great (eg the scallops starter only has 2 scallops), the house wine was very good but the evening was let down a little when the bill arrived: We paid £60 per couple.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Food is good but the owner seems to want to sit with you when taking the order. This unusual style of waitering seems to be what you'd see on Ramsy's kitchen knightmares.

The food is usually great but on one ocassion we had the steaks mixed up i.e. the rare was given to someone who ordered medium and vice versa. When we asked about this it seemed to be taken very personally.

It's a shame as the food is very very good and if the service could be improved this would probably be the best resterant in rotherham.

TreVasco, Owner at Vasco Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Hi, I see you find our (my) service style unusual and you probably noticed I try to sit with everyone when I'm taking their order. This, and your comment that we took it personally that we had delivered steaks to the wrong people, is at the essence of Vasco service. We do take it personally; we want everything about your visit to Vasco to be perfect and by sitting with you for a couple of minutes I get the chance to make you feel welcome, to answer any questions you may have about the food or the wine and to hopefully help you relax. I hate impersonal service where the order taker appears not to care what I order so long as I do it quickly. Anyway, I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable and I hope it didn't spoil your evening. It's hard to please everyone and I'm glad you enjoyed the food, which after all is what I care about most.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is the first time that I have ever written a review, but I felt that the food and service we had was so good that it deserved being shared. I'm not from the local area and just happened to be staying in Hallaby Hall with my partner for her birthday. The getaway and necklace I had bought her were meant to be a lovely way to celebrate her birthday, and I had already reserved a table in the hotels Carnelly restaurant. After our arrival we were really disappointed with our accommodation and didn't want to risk further disappointment with the onsite restaurant. I instantly wanted to cheer her up so I looked for a high end place to dine in the local area. We decided to give Vasco a try. Upon arrival we were allowed to choose where we sat with it being quiet a luxury that is not always offered. The food looked quite highly priced however from the service and atmosphere didn't seem over priced. The staff were very friendly, the service was fast and upon the foods arrival the dishes were very well presented but the portions looked small. As soon as we tried the food we knew we had chosen the right place to eat the dishes were flavoursome and perfectly cooked. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who lives locally or is even staying in the area give it a try whilst your here!

1  Thank OliverLM
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Dined here last night and sampled a new menu by a new team in the kitchen.The food was very well presented and tasted as good as it looked. The service as always was attentive and we always enjoy a chat with Trevor. If you enjoy trying new dishes I would recommend giving Vasco's a try.

1  Thank georgiepops