“Full of flavour”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Thursday night and restaurant and bar very quiet which didn't help the atmosphere but apparently it can get very busy at weekends.
The food was excellent and very flavoursome. In addition to the main menu item, I had duck and my partner had roast cod, the accompaniments were delicious. Not just the standard boiled veg. I had a fondant potato and roast veg with two really delicious dumpling.
The sauces served with both meals were light and very tasty. If I had to lay any criticism, the duck breast was slightly tough but still full of flavour.
All in all an excellent experience and well worth the trip from Chesterfield.

1  Thank Andyt2120
There are newer reviews for Vasco Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed May 8, 2013

well called in last tue's and had the pie....i have to say delicious and filling...at a bargain price.
great food, welcoming staff and a lovely warm restaurant.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

So I've eaten at Vasco a few times and the food has always been amazing. I heard through their Facebook page that the menu has recently been changed. So I thought I'd give it a whirl.

The new menu has a great selection of traditional pub dishes such as Fish and Chips and Mixed Grill but with a quality and presentation far superior to the prices charged.

Being on a bit of a budget I opted for the 3-8-3 menu which offers a great choice of starters for £3, mains for £8 and finally desserts for £3.

I finally choose the fish cake for starter, pan fried chicken breast for main, and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. The portion sizes were a lot larger than I was anticipating for the price; it was definitely excellent value for money.

The service was excellent and the atmosphere very welcoming. If you're looking for freshly prepared top quality food but at reasonable prices then booked yourself a table.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

As someone visiting the area its always difficult to find somewhere which does quality food at a reasonable price. But with Vasco we found both plus also some of the best and friendliest staff you could know. We tried the soup for starter which was an extremely tasty roasted root veg. Mains were the shoulder of lamb and the duck breast. Both extremely tasty the only slight criticism would be could be slightly hotter including the plates.
We would definitely visit again when coming back to the area.

1  Thank Msnicklin
Reviewed April 2, 2013

we eat here last night, my wife eat off the fixed price menu and had the chicken with a wild mushroom sauce, "how did the chef get the chicken so moist" i and my friend had the fillet steak, witch my i say was cooked to perfection, the wine list is very good value, and the waiting staff are very welcoming and friendly.
to finish the night off we had the assiette of sweets, WOW,,,, sticky toffee pud, lemon tart, creme brulee, chocolate brownie,,, the list go's on... superb a very enjoyable evening.
they tell me that there's a new menu out later this week, we will be returning to try this out.