“fab hotel”
Review of The Sun Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skegness
The Sun Hotel
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Skegness
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“fab hotel”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

the sun hotel is great if you go to skegness have a look ,food very good rooms clean and tidy staff you cannot fault .hotel on the sea front and close to all the attractions will go there again and soon

Room Tip: why would bother about a room you only sleep there they have good beds and quiet rooms all rooms ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments, it is always a pleasure to receive them. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Hotel in the very near future. Kind regards Dean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

returned from a 4 night stay with my mum and would like to say how much we enjoyed ourselves[again]. I would just like to respond to the person that said the lift did not reach the 3rd. floor.my mum and myself were staying on this floor and trust me the lift was definitely working. Also, the vegetables at mealtimes were always fresh. Guests should realise how hard the staff work and all the effort that goes into the running of an hotel. I am always amazed at what people complain about. The staff are very friendly and are very obliging, nothing is too much trouble for them. We are both looking forward to a return visit. Keep up the good work, you are all appreciated.

Room Tip: room 9 has a balcony with a good sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gorgeous00
Thank you for your lovely comments, it is always a pleasure to receive them, it was also nice to see you back again. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Hotel in the very near future. Kind regards Dean
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Room very good, clean and tidy and comfortable. Two chairs would be better than the one that was there.. Bathroom size excellent, shower on the small side. Hotel clean.
Meals excellent, pity about the service, waited upto 40mins for meal to be served, maybe this was because we were always at the end of the queue. Would be a good idea to reverse serving order alternate days.
Even with this had a good holiday and would recommend.

1 Thank 24Noel43
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
I am sorry to hear that you experience at the Sun Hotel wasn't quite what you was expecting.

Firstly I would like to say thank you for the lovely comments about our room and cleanliness as we are passionate about high standards.

Secondly I would like to address you experience in the dining room, We allocate a 60 minute time for all 3 course's of your evening meal to be served and this should be evenly distributed across all of the dining room. As you state that you was always at the end of the queue, I would like to apologise as this is not our standard practice.

Furthermore I would like to thank you for you comments and your recommendation of the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

All the best,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Returned today from a 5 day holiday with National Holidays. Our room was newly decorated, clean and comfortable but the bathroom (a problem with lots of hotels) was very small. Food was good but a shame that a choice of 4 main courses offered 4 meat dishes. I'm not vegetarian but do have a problem with swallowing so most meat dishes are out for me. Fish wasn't served all week. However the tasty soups, vegetables and puds didn't leave me hungry. Staff were hard working and in the main polite. I never expect 5* accommodation for 2* prices so don't expect towels to be changed daily. I normally drape the towels over a chair to dry off for the next day but each day someone folded the sopping towels and carefully put them back on the towel rail where they would never dry in a month of Sundays!!! The hairdryer came in handy to dry them off.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what you expected.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your lovely comments on our room, décor & cleanliness, also your comments on our filling evening meals.

Secondly I would like to address you comment about our choice for evening meals, We do try and keep the evening meals at a 4 choice options with the additional menu for vegetarians as we change the choices daily. As for your comment regarding the housekeeping I would like to apologise as this is not normal practise and the towels are meant to be changed daily.

Furthermore I would like to thank you for your comments as we do enjoy receiving them. I hope to see you return in the future.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Just had 1 nights stay here at sun hotel. On arrival we was welcoming. Hotel is very clean and staff very friendly. Breakfast was lovely and service was excellent. We would definitely come back to this hotel again. Xx

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
uk
Reviewed May 30, 2014

After I arrived I thought this to be more of a Guest House than a hotel and saw from the owners' explanation that the original properties that form the present building were converted specifically to cater for coach parties. To this end it seemed to me that all the space that was available has been used to accommodate as many guests as possible so that the dining room and my bedroom were both cramped and the lounge was similar when all my coach party was there. All were furnished adequately and inexpensively. My bed was comfortable, the room was cleaned and the towels changed daily, there was plenty of hot water, and the shower was excellent - but, as I asked the manager, why no tray in it to hold soap and shampoo? Other downsides were that the only chair in the room was broken and not replaced despite reporting it on my first day there, and I cut myself on a very sharp corner of the shelf over the wash basin. I reported this as well and was surprised that the manager did not want it entered in the Accident Book.
Menus were not supplied and meals had to be ordered in advance; they were hot, filling and nicely cooked, but plain, unimaginative, with little choice, powdered soup and, except for the potatoes, frozen vegetables. I was disappointed that there was no fruit, yoghurt, or fresh cheese, the latter option for dessert being two small pieces wrapped in plastic plus three biscuits.
The staff were friendly and hard working but there was no porterage for the disabled and the lift does not go to the third floor.
Overall the break with Caledonian was value for money but I felt that, when compared with other establishments, The Sun did things on the cheap and that there is definitely room for
improvement.
I have to rate this as Poor as there is not a Below Average rating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank j471m
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
I am sorry to hear that your experience at the Sun Hotel was not what you anticipated. We aim to provide excellent customer service at all times so I am grateful your feedback.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments on our cleanliness as we have been working hard to raise standards throughout the hotel.

Secondly I would like to address your comments about our evening meal, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your evening meals with us and can assure you that steps have been made to make changes to our menu and products used.
Porterage is available for disabled or anyone that does require assistance, as for the lift not going to the third floor, you are correct but I am not sure why this bothered you as you were on the second floor. As for the comment about the hotel being cramped a coach can only take 48 passengers and we sleep and seat 56 people comfortably and when you was staying with us there was only 48 guests leaving 8 guests spaces / seats spare!

Thirdly, your comment about us being value for money but doing things on the cheap, I think that this is unfair comment as this is a budget package holiday and you do have to remember that including in the price that you pay is your return journey from Scotland, 4 excursions and Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal and possibly you need to remember that the hotel does not receive the full amount of your holiday price.

Kind Regards,
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend at the Sun Hotel Skegness we have done so at May bank holiday for the past 5 years so that tells you something. We were greeted at reception with a smile from Tina & Dean as always. We noticed the reception & lounge area had been beautifully decorated, the whole hotel is exceptionally clean , bedrooms were beautiful and well equipped, tv, tea coffee, hairdrier etc .The meals were very good and always piping hot, entertainment was good but it was a shame not many people stayed in to watch it, one thing I must mention to Tina & Dean ( we did miss Christine) Hopefully we will return again next year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
sunhotelskegness, Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014