All reviews buffet breakfast sea view single room coach trip lovely hotel south parade one night stay town centre lovely room enjoyable stay sea front clock tower weekend break my mum great weekend evening entertainment tlc
Reviewed October 2, 2018

So myself (53), my Mum (73) and my daughter (21) - so varied ages, have just spent four nights at The Royal Hotel.
The building is lovely, whilst in need of some TLC (as I am sure many such seaside hotels are) it was lovely and clean and our room had three single beds but plenty of room.
Stayed on a bed, breakfast and evening meal basis and the food was good and served promptly.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful.
Very enjoyable stay and would return if in the area again.

Room tip: Ours was a ground floor room so only 2 steps, however lift available.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2018

We have been one night, we brought two dogs with us, they charged us 10 pounds for each one. (I will never agree with this). We arrived one hour before check in and they did not leave the room until the scheduled time. (I thought it was a lack of detail and little comprehension after a long trip) I was disappointed that the room was in a basement and on the website they sold rooms overlooking the garden or the beach, ours went to the garden but from the ground. The room was not bad but the bathroom was prehistoric, small and lacking details everywhere. I read a lot about breakfast but it is quite normal and basic. I do not recommend it

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 616evamariav
Reviewed September 15, 2018

We booked two rooms directly with the hotel, which were not at the cheapest price, and it appeared from the outset the hotel could have been run better. Some of the staff didnt look very happy being there, and on entering the conservatory the cushions on the seating were badly stained and dirty. On the corridors to the rooms there were debris and quite thick dust up to the edges, and it was apparent they had not been vacuumed for some time. The breakfast was ok but the bacon was always pale in colour, im not sure how this is being cooked ?. For a magnificent building in such a nice location this may seem to be a bit harsh, and a hotel of this size and age does require a huge amount of investment. We did bring the state of the cushions to the attention of the receptionist who was very nice and said she would pass this on to housekeeping.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Iannbb
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

I wanted a hotel that would accommodate my mum who can’t walk very far so we could celebrate her 90 th birthday. I am glad I chose this hotel. The staff were very friendly and obliging. The rooms clean, spacious and comfortable. We ate in Charlie’s Chop house. Fantastic meal excellent value. Breakfast very adequate with a choice of cereals, fruit and cooked breakfast. Nice walk along sea front to North shore 1.5 miles. Not too far from Lumley road where the shops are. Wheelchair accommodated and stored downstairs when not in use. Lift to all floors. Mum had a fantastic weekend, thank you to all the staff at the Royal Hotel.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

This is the best place to stay oin the seafront and here are the reasons why : clean and soacious room; decent sized bathroom; super king sized bed; friendly and efficient staff; pleasant atmosphere throughout the hotel; games room; lovely breakfast; easy parking; reasonably priced.

Overall it was great! We've stayed at a number of guest houses and the county hotel on the front and this is the first one we've booked to go back to!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple