“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Skegness
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed at The Royal Hotel for our 45th Wedding Anniversary, we had spent our honeymoon in Skegness in a cheap self catering bedsit, with a toilet at the end of the hall, so thought we would do it in style this time in an Hotel.
The Hotel was in a nice quiet location but within easy walking distance to the main street and sea front.
The main reason I choose The Royal was the fact it had two car parks. We booked a premiere room, with sea views and balcony, we had plenty of space, a lounge, separate bedroom with a large 6ft bed, separate bathroom, with bath with shower over, although the bath was rather short, and in the lounge there was a large cupboard with a separate shower in it. The room was clean and comfortable. The only fault we had was rain had been coming through the bay window ceiling in the bedroom and the carpet was very damp, it was the day after we had had very heavy rain.
Breakfast was nicely cooked with plenty of choice, the only thing missing for my taste was fried egg, there was only scrambled.
The only real complaint I had was as we were coming down the stairs to leave was we saw a lady coming down the stairs with a dog, it"s not that I don't like dogs but I don't like dogs in bedrooms.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mazrat69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Only booked the week before I decided to spend the weekend in Skegness. Had tried other Hotels/Guest Houses and the Royal was showing it was fully booked on the Hotel Booking Sites (well, it was mid August). I phoned the Hotel directly who managed to fit me in. Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, it seems to be a bit of a Marmite Hotel....you either love it or you hate it! Reception were very friendly, as were the Bar Staff. I had a single room which was very clean and quite spacious. Breakfast was a help yourself Buffet, but there were no overdone eggs as they were cooked to order. The Hotel itself was very comfortable, the grounds immaculate and the Accommodation not expensive - single room, sea view, bed and breakfast at £49 per night in peak season, I found to be very reasonable..

There have been some bad reviews for the Royal on Tripadvisor....I really am not sure why. Skegness is a seaside resort with a lot of Guest House Accommodation, but hardly any larger Hotels. The Royal fits the bill at a budget price.

I will stay there again

Room Tip: I believe some rooms (in particular the bathrooms) can be quite small. Ask for a spacious room when...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan E
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2014

hotel had very friendly staff. Bollywood restaurant was very good and staff in restaurant very friendly. my room was nice and bed comfortable. breakfast was good you could go back for more, and a wide selection of grilled breakfast and cereals , and fruit juices. my room was on top floor which had a nice view across Lincolnshire. good location also, not far from front. my only gripe, furniture like wardrobe, carpets, a bit tired, also shower not very securely fitted to wall, had to be careful when turning it on and off. this is why I rated 4 of 5. apart from this small gripe I would consider another stay at the royal.

Room Tip: having top floor meant less noise from public road, and people coming and going throughout the night...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank nick o
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Spent a weekend in Skegness in August and stayed here in a family room. It is a nice hotel with a unique décor and some lovely grounds. The location is great as you are near the front and central area but also slightly removed which is more peaceful. The hotel has it's own parking which is a further bonus. The breakfast at the hotel was good although we didn't eat there of an evening so can't comment.
The room was clean but undersized for the furniture in it. The bathroom in particular was tiny and it was a bit of a squeeze to do anything in there.
Overall though we thought the Royal Hotel was a good choice offering a bit more than a standard B&B for a decent price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank HeartoftheCountry
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We booked to stay here as we were attending a wedding reception held at the hotel. Hotel is in a good location and there is plenty of free parking. The check in member of staff was friendly, however there was a mix up with our rooms. We had booked two twins but one was made up as a double. In the end this didn't affect us as one member of our party couldn't attend. I'm sure if this was an issue it would have been resolved promptly. The rooms were basic yet spacious with comfortable beds and large TV's. They were however in need of updating, as was the whole hotel to be honest. I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the bathroom however, I found hairs in the sink, the bath wasn't clean and the surfaces were dusty. The reception was held in two adjoining rooms which were perfect for the amount of guests. The bar staff were fantastic, everyone had a great time. Breakfast was also great, choice of cereals, toast, yoghurts and a cooked buffet offering the usual - best of all it's all you can eat and was included in the room price. Staff were polite and friendly. Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rls26
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I returned from this hotel last thursday and must say i wont be returning.firstly on the positive side,i had room 405 which was a single room and had a very comfortable bed in there, next positive hotel in great location,plus great beer garden and lovely happy chappy who works behind the bar but he dosent start till 8pm. Ok heres the negatives the hotel is very dated,deffo needs a new roof as my sister stayed in room 401 and had water coming through ceiling so had to be moved rooms,cleaning of my room was not up too standard as was black hairs in shower,and also long black hair in my cup which put me off making my cup of tea,not mine as im blonde.also hole under sink in bathroom.i paid 49 a night. Which is rather expensive for the room i had,think this hotel could be great if only the owners would spend some money on it.you only have to look at the roof too see it needs replacing.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank michaela f
Leeds
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week fron the first of August, the Hotel looks ok from a distance but a closer inspection reveals all its flaws, our en-suite room was tiny, you had to put the kettle on the floor and unplug the TV to make a hot drink, the shower was either a red hot or stone cold dribble, the pigeons that roost on the gutters wake you up at 05:00 every morning, the cleaning staff give the rooms a basic tidy and change towels but nothing is actually cleaned, the same applies to the bar area where dead flies and moths accumulate on the window cills, why is there no dedicated barman? Prepare for a long wait at the bar if the reception is also busy as it seems to be job share, don't expect to be able to get a snack in the afternoon either, all food stops at 14:00 and resumes at 19:00, the advertised bouncy castle was never inflated the games room, when open, is a dump, outside tables are rarely cleared and the grass is never cut.
On the plus side, Breakfast is self serve and was nicely cooked
Overall, too expensive and in decline, there are far better B&Bs in Skegness,

Stayed August 2014