“a hotel with great character”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Skegness
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just come back from a 2 night stay in this hotel. what can i say, this hotel is lovely it is full of character and charm. The room was a good size with a full size bathroom. the only thing wrong was the shower didn't have much pressure which made it difficult. The staff were lovely and Ross who greeted us at reception made us feel so welcome. Although the hotel is dated it it gives it more appeal to stay there, if it was updated i think it would lose its charm and just be another standard hotel. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were friendly, helpful and the service was very good, not having to wait long for anything. Its only a very short walk to the middle of the sea front and just across the road from the beach. When we visit Skegness again we would love to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us recently.

I was extremely pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ross and his team who I know will appreciate the feedback. Your comments certainly reflect what we strive to achieve so thank you again.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

There are newer reviews for County Hotel

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed with a private coach group at the County Hotel for one week. The manager, a big Scotsman named Ross runs the place with a booming voice. One can tell that Ross loves the County Hotel and has made it a big part of his life for a long time. He makes you feel welcome and after a while you feel like you're part of the family there. After a week's stay, I didn't want to leave because I felt so "at home."

There is a lift for those that can't carry their luggage up the stairway. After settling into our "sea view" room, I walked around and explored the hotel. You can feel it was grand when it was built in 1939. The lobby is small, but there are two large rooms on either side. One is the dining room and the other is for relaxation, entertainment, and the bar area. The hotel is of Art Deco style and upon one of the walls in the lobby, there's a newspaper article about when the hotel opened in 1939 which I enjoyed reading. On the second floor there's a large room that is used for special events and open for guests. There's a dance floor in this room.

There are 40 guest rooms. Too bad there's not more. Ross gets more room requests than he can fill as evidenced by some of the phone calls we overheard.

The rooms are adequate and cleaned daily. We were in a "sea view" room on the 3rd floor. We had a nice view and the breeze coming in the windows was nice. The only drawback is the street noise. There's a noisy establishment across the road which provides music until midnight each night. On the hot nights of summer, we had our windows open and endured the music each night of our stay. The guests on the back side complained their rooms were hot, but quiet.

Breakfast was provided. Breakfast was very plentiful with cereal and fruit along with a full cooked English breakfast.

There's parking for coaches and cars at the side and rear of the building.

It's a short walk to the tower and the shopping area and there's entertainment all around. The hotel provided entertainment nightly with different singers and one night of BINGO.

There's no place to sit outside. Smokers sat on the small wall in front of the hotel. There's plenty of seating inside though.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay in Skegness. It was my first stay in the area and we used Skegness as a base to travel to other scenic villages in the area such as Lincoln, Mablethorpe and Louth. If I ever got the opportunity, I would stay once again at the County Hotel in Skegness.

Room Tip: There's street noise and music on the front if you book your rooms in the summertime and have to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Connie M

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night and it was a pleasure from start to finish - although I have to say that this is mainly in part to Ross, the manager. Never have I been in a hotel where you feel that he genuinley wants you to enjoy your stay - and nothing is too much trouble. His personality lights the hotel and makes you feel really welcome - not like some hotels where its almost robotic!
The hotel itself is perferctly located - however it is a little dated - but it is also very clean.
Breakfast was lovely, very organised with friendly staff.
Ross also let us leave our car after we had checked out even offering for us to pop back in for a complimentary coffee before our journey home.Lovely!
He is the perfect host and a lot of these hotel brands could do with learning a lesson from Ross - after all, people buy from people and I would quite happily stay again - and thats all down to Ross - thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karenk68
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I really was very pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ross and his team who will be pleased to read them.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have just returned from a group holiday at the County Hotel, Skegness. The service was excellant, the rooms clean, the staff friendly and the food very good. The manager Ross was very helpful and friendly and l found it very easy to book at this hotel for a party of 48, for whom all agreed it was a lovely hotel, with several of them wishing to stay there again. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice bit the corner rooms are larger.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marsters

Reviewed July 21, 2013

stayed 1 night in county hotel cos we had tickets to see the elo experience. delighted with the greeting and the size of the rooms our daughter and partner with their 11 month old daughter had the family room they were given a massive room with 5 single beds in it they had the best night sleep for a long time. our room was very spacious and very clean. the staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble. breakfast was lovely and freshly cooked. and the waiter\waitress staff were so obliging they are a credit to the hotel. thank you for a lovely night and will definately stay there again. thank you xx

Room Tip: all good y have a life a little dated but does the job. daughter was in room 35 i would recommend...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After leaving a guest house with a damp carpet,Ross came to my rescue,I was offered a Friday and Sunday at very short notice,the former was lovely,the latter was really special,I didn't want to leave,it was huge!what a relaxing end to my week and £20 cheaper than the dank place I had fled.Thank you again Ross,you made a bad experience fade away with your warmth and kindness.Jacqui from Derby.

• Stayed: July 2013
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ross and his team who will be pleased to read them.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at the County Hotel with my 82-year-old Father (I'm 50) and had booked two single rooms. On arrival we received a very cheery welcome by the excellent Manager, Ross Muirhead - the kind of person who you immediately feel you've known for years - who had upgraded my booking to two twin rooms with a sea view. We were absolutely delighted by this.
The hotel is very conveniently located, close to both the sea front and the town centre. The car park is very large and, although there were 3 coaches parked in it during our stay, finding a space was never a problem. One watch point, however, is that cars tended to congregate close to the rear entrance of the hotel raising the possibility of your car becoming 'boxed'.
The rooms, on the second-floor, were clean, spacious and well-appointed. As I was travelling with an 82-year-old I was pleased to find that the upper floors are served by a lift, which is of the charming, very old-fashioned pull-closed type and always made us smile.
The hotel decor is generally rather dated, although I felt this gives it a kind of traditional and 'lived-in' feel that some might consider a strength.
Breakfast time was very well organised, with the large coach party staying at the same time as ourselves being called-in at 8:15 and so giving smaller parties like us the chance to go in and be served promptly at the start time of 8:00. Breakfast itself, however, was the only negative as far as we were concerned. We ordered full English each day and, although quality was adequate, quantity was rather paltry. A saving grace, though, was the availability in the adjacent room to the restaurant of a very good selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurt and juices.
WiFi access is rather weak inside the rooms, but I had expected this from reading another review before travelling and Ross also explained on arrival that it is "hit and miss within the rooms but good in public areas".
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the County Hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good value, clean and conveniently located place to stay.
Just one other thing I would like to add for travellers - try 'Tarantino's' Italian restaurant on Drummond Road. We had an absolutely superb meal there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PAUL B
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your positive and constructive comments and have passed these on to Ross and his team at the hotel who will be pleased to read them.

Thank you once again for your custom and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards.