“Excellent”

Ranked #39 of 93 Skegness B&B and Inns
Rosewell, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at the Ivydene for 4 nights, a very nice clean hotel situated in a quiet area but within easy walking distance of town centre attractions. Resident hosts Melina and Rob provided an excellent friendly service, either one was always on hand to offer help.Daily clean towels was an added bonus The breakfast choice was excellent and plentiful which set you up for most of the day. The bar was small but provided an excellent selection of spirits at very reasonable prices
Certainly worth staying at and yes we will return

1 Thank Kenny M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Ive stayed at the Ivydene twice now, a few years ago and recently for 1 night on our biking holiday and i definatly would stay there again. It is a lovely hotel with very friendly hosts. The rooms are very clean, i could smell fresh clean bedding as i walked in, the bed was comfortable, we had a really good nights sleep. Bathroom was clean with a spacious shower. It is in a good location close to everything. Breakfast was tasty and plenty of it and a good choice. It has a lovely little bar thats worth a visit. Would like to thank the hosts for letting us store our two cycles in the back yard. Great hotel :)

Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Ivydene for a week & throughout my stay found the room (room 5) to be very pleasant, clean & enjoyable, the only downside was that the shower didn't work brilliantly (very low water pressure, shower would suddenly run very hot or very cold without warning). The breakfasts were lovely & filling with a wide variety. I found Rob to be reasonably chatty & friendly but his wife Melina was often very short & unfriendly, it seemed she did not really want to talk to the guests at all! The reason for the poor rating of this review is that on the last day of my holiday an hour prior to having to collect my luggage my youngrst child had an accident & was taken to hospital (obviously I went with him & so communicating with the hotel was left to my mum & husband). My husband & youngest son were left with 10minutes to collect luggage & nowhere to stay-we also do not drive. My mum rang Ivydene & spoke to Melina, explaining the situation & asking if even a single room.was available for my husband & eldest son for one night. Melina said that no rooms were available & when told of my situation simply commented that she wondered why my luggage had not been collected. My husband then went to collect the luggage (3 large heavy cases) & took my eldest with him. At no point did Melina (to either my mum or husband) express any interest or concern for the welfare of my son or wether we had found alternative accomodation, although they did offer to drive my husband somewhere. I feel Melina was quite cold & unsympathetic with regards to what was an incredibly traumatic & stressful situation-a single bed/camp bed was surely available & some concern.for my family's wellbeing/manners would have bern appreciatrd. Otherwise a lovely hotel & breakfasts. The lady who offered us a hotel room.for this night in a different hotel was much friendlier & concerned,.allowing my entire family (4 people) to share her only vacant room (1 double bed) for a very low price.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank mummy2350
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and i have just spent 4 nights,5 days at the Ivydene,and we must say,we were very impressed. We booked room no.4. Our room,was clean,fresh,and bright.Alot of effort had gone into making our stay just right. The full english breakfast,was a quality,cooked meal.My wife had the continental breakfast,and it was excellent.The atmosphere in the hotel was very welcoming and friendly,and although it was full,we heard no noise at night.Rob and Melina obviously work
very hard,and it shows in the great service they provide.We are looking forward to going back.

south yorks
Reviewed May 10, 2012

stayed for 2 nightseally frein in the family room 5 ,great price, excellent breakfast,clean modern room,really friendly hosts,would stay again without hesitation not your typical fusty b&b,a wonderful central close to seafront place to stay cannot mark it high enough

Room Tip: there is a room layout in the brochure,central to skegness but in a lovely quiet location
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank owls123
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

i stayed at the ivydene for two nights on my own. neither rob or melina introduced themselves or made me feel welcome. melina never said good morning or have a nice day or even how did you sleep. my room was at the front of the hotel so didnt get any sleep traffic, and i could hear nxt doors tv at 1am in the morning. very nice breakfast and nice modern room. but a smile would of made my stay more pleasant I felt like they couldnt be bothered and were not happy people therefore maybe they are in the wrong job. i would,nt go back there or recomend them to anyone a very cold miserable atmosphere.

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank karen s
SkegnessIvydene, Owner at Ivydene Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast and that you found the room very modern.
Sorry you were disturbed in the night we don't know what you could hear as we only had 3 other people in the Hotel when you stayed, and there was nobody in the room next to you or below you for the two nights you stayed.
Light night time traffic noise we have no control over, but as you stayed on some of the hottest days of the year we assume you had the windows open.
Friendliness is a two way thing, we try and talk to all our guests. It is very difficult for Melina to speak in the mornings as she is in the kitchen cooking breakfast and does not come out until
most guests have gone out for the day.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Great hotel and service, Mel and Rob always had time for us and were able to satisfy my 2 boys. Infact we had tears when we said we had to leave.

Rooms are clean and plenty of tea and coffee in the room. Fresh towels everyday. it was great that we could change what we wanted for breakfast, by letting them know the night before.

Great location to the main town of Skegness and to the beach. We hope to come back next year.
Claire, Karl, Phillip and Andrew

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely comments, we hope to welcome you back soon.