“Bizarre would be an understatement"”
Review of Wan Hong JU

Wan Hong JU
Ranked #179 of 229 Restaurants in Skegness
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Firstly, all those who guessed the previous reviewer to be a girl of approximately 8-12 years old based on her nauseating use of Blytonesque descriptions then well done!! We know this would be an accurate guess, as we had the misfortune to be seated next to this charming family consisting of 3 generations - all of whom seemed oblivious to the fact my wife and I may have wished to enjoy a peaceful meal without them swinging on and even sitting on the unused chairs belonging to our table - let alone rehearsing their trip advisor review for the benefit of all the other diners!

After being seated at a table nearest to the door, we enjoyed waiting approximately 15-20 minutes before having to ask the sole waitress if we might have a drink. I shouldn't be too harsh there - as not only was she on her own for much of the time, but she looked as if she had endured some serious abdominal surgery within the previous 48 hours and seemed in agony.

After a total wait of around 40 minutes, our shared starter of crispy duck arrived. It was ok although slightly less hot than it should have been and it had also been shredded in the kitchen which always makes me suspicious.

On the drinks front, this is the first ever Chinese restaurant I've ever been in where you have to catch their attention for a refill. The only real attentiveness we received was when it came to the bill but more about that later.

The real show stopper was when it came to the mains arriving after approximately 1.25 hours of us originally entering. The egg fried rice and curry sauce were brought out a good 10 minutes before everything else so they had time to cool and congeal nicely prior to the arrival of the noodles which we hadn't ordered. This resulted in a 5 minute argument in the kitchen in a Chinese dialect before they finally had the decency to bring our other two dishes and the old Amah who'd been hovering even had the courtesy to freshen up our rice but not the curry sauce (!?).

On a more positive note, I must say the vermicelli was flawless and the best I've ever had. The sweet and sour chicken HK style was also very good indeed.

As stated earlier, we finally got some eye contact and even an apology and a smile when the bill came. At the risk of sounding slightly cynical, I would suspect this was mainly due to them hoping we would want to pay for such a shocking demonstration of how to run a business. At least she didn't ask for a tip although we were ready to give the one e.g. Don't give up your day job!

An abysmal experience lightened fractionally by a damn good vermicelli.

2  Thank Alan J
There are newer reviews for Wan Hong JU

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I loved the beautifully set out tables, the decorations and the pictures. I loved the food!It was delicate and smooth but then the Chilli and garlic pork had a good kick to it. It was as delicate as a rain drop and as favourable as a lollypop made of a rainbow. Then there was the bill, we couldn't believe it. But it was worth it.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

went to this chinese for second time not sure if it same people but food was spot on we had fillet beef which melted in your mouth and rest of food very good indeed
just one thing wish they would make step a bit better is very high and wife has waking dificulties but thats my only gripe

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Skegness has been lacking a good Chinese Restaurant for years, thought we would give this a try and i'm so glad we did, fast friendly service, food was great, crispy beef was great, duck and seafood was some of the best we had ever had in a Chinese, 2 fussy kids loved everything on offer, very happy and will be going again.

1  Thank FloridaGirl57
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked a table on the basis of reviews on Tripadvisor - They weren't wrong! Fantastic, tasty food and a sweet, entertaining waitress. The location was nothing to shout about but easy parking and once inside a thoroughly nice evening. We had Mixed hors d'oeuvres for 2, sweet and sour chicken Hong King style, Crispy Fried beef - a choice of sweet or spicy, I had spicy which was spot on, not too hot, fried rice and mushroom chow mein. With a glass of wine, beer and a soft drink, for 3 of us it came in under £50. We are planning to go again later this week!