“Not 'luxury' accomodation”

JJ's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #88 of 93 Skegness B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Although the owner was very friendly, the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The newly installed shower pods may be okay if they had hot water in them!
The bedrooms are very dated and the blinds are very poorly fitted, not even meeting anywhere!
This means dressing and undressing in the dark, as it is on a residential street.
The only point in the hotel's favour and for which I was pleasantly surprised, was that the bed linen smelt lovely and fresh.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lizzie89
There are newer reviews for JJ's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Nothing in this establishment even reaches the standards set by the associated regulatory agencies. The rooms are filthy, you can taste the limescale in the drinking water. For the whole time we were there the owner did not change his clothes. He and his staff are rude and obnoxious. Promises on the jjs webpage are all false eg no room service, bar hardly ever open (only when landlord and his one or 2 regulars are sat drinking), no hairdryers in room etc. U don't even get heating in winter (could not sleep in my room for the cols) or hot water for the shower except at certain times where landlord switches it on for 3 hours at 9am and 6pm. Not being funny but paying jjs prices I expect 24 hour access to a radiator and hot water. Nothing works properly either. Luxury spa showers where the shower works barely and none of the luxury spa features function apart from the FM radio which barely gets signal and is just crackly white noise. Building has damp rot and smells mouldy and of stale beer.Food was either undercooked or burnt, never good. Raw sausages at breakfast. People could be seriously ill. His chef surely can't have ever passed any training. He thinks that sausages should be pink in the middle and toast should be black. No wonder the restaurant has been closed for last few months. Some of the worst people and premises i have ever had the misfortune to come across and I'm a professional festival / event reviewer so I have stayed a lot of places and met a lot of people. Prisoners probably get better standards of care than delivered here. If u want a nice holiday avoid here at all costs.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank ch4dd3rz
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Great room, just what needed for 5 men, power shower which worked brilliantly, location was perfect just far enough out of the centre of Skegness but within walking distance. The food was absolutely spot on would recommend the steaks. Everyone that works there was friendly and gave a warm welcome. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

There was 7 off us and we are all 17-19
We tried various places in skeggy and couldent find any where that would take us so we got a deal 75 quid for a room that fit all off us in there so it was cheap the rooma where good clean and the hotel was good not to far from the main strip also there was not a time we had to be back so it was all good deffo going here again in the future :)

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

when staying at jjs hotel there was a fabulous friendly atmosphere I was made to feel so very welcome. The Restaurant offers some fantastic food and I personally love the décor, the bar has a pool table which I was very pleased with as I love a game of pool, my child was entertained with the toys available which I think was a great touch. Our room was lovely everything we needed as well as a luxurious shower. The hotel is situated at a ideal spot for buses, beach and the town. had a wonderful time cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leah C
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Received a warm and hospitable welcome from all the staff especially the hotel manager Lisa. The 2 double rooms we had booked were both exceptionally clean and tidy and as for the bathroom all I can say is wow the shower was amazing. There is ample parking around the hotel and is a short walk to the centre of Skegness. The bar area has a pool table and a large selection of drinks available at exceptional prices so much so that we stayed for a couple of hours before heading out due to the family friendly atmosphere. Breakfast was served between 8:30 and 9:30 a large selection was available and arrived piping hot in a very short space of time. Once again thank you Lisa and all your team will be in touch soon to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank dmmansfield
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Where do I start? The hotel itself looked ok on the outside. We were greeted by the landlady who seemed flustered as the hotel (to our horror) had been broken in the night before by a local! She told us where our room was and that was it. Although she was very friendly and we put it down to being worried and shook up. The room we were given was room 5. The key didn't work in the door so we were struggling to open it for over 5 minutes and no one appeared to be in the reception anymore to ask for help.
After opening the door we entered a 'family' room which I was told on the phone consisted of a double and single bed in the first room with a door leading into another bedroom with singles which in fact was 5 singles and we paid £75 for this. £25 of which was for my 4 year old daughter!!
I had read reviews about room 5 from months before saying the blinds were dirty, mouldy and broken and they weren't wrong. Slats were missing so we couldn't sleep at night because of the excessive light. My partner eventually fell asleep so I went to get into the bottom bunk where my daughter was to find the mattress collapsed and a spring hanging out the side. I then got in another bed back in the room I was originally in and the pillow was that of a hospital pillow with the rubber pillow case!
The bedside table had a snapped handle with a screw sticking out, bearing in mind this is a 'family' room where I had both my 1 year old and 4 year old staying with us. The light above my partners bed wasn't fixed, wires were hanging out and the bulb was smashed. There was two punch holes against the bedroom door. The bathroom tiles were cracked and needed filling in badly. Soap scum all over the shower and taps that clearly hadn't been cleaned. Under the beds were rubbish and a previous guests make up items and all the divan covers were for double beds with rips in that were hanging across the floor. My daughter's room had no knobs on the drawers and the wicker chair at the side of her bed was full of wet stains and holes!
The landlord didn't seem to think we had a breakfast included in the £75 price so he had to ring his wife. When she confirmed yes there was we sat waiting over half an our in the restaurant. The landlord got side tracked because of another paying guest complaining of water leaks in her room so he forgot half the food (my hash brown, black pudding and our toast). This was supposed to be a large full English which consisted of two sausages (no bacon as he hadn't got any left) a hash brown and two spoon fulls of beans. There was water leaking into the fire exit sign that was lit up so we sat away from it.
When it came to leaving we asked where we should leave our key and we were told on the desk in the door way which was a desk full of leaflets and attraction guides. No wonder they were broken into!
Over all I can't see how we could have been charged £75 for what is supposed to be a 'luxury' hotel. I feel robbed. The room was dangerous and unclean. The only good thing was the luxury shower that played music, had various jets and had lighting but even that needed a clean.
Lovely people but no advice when we arrived on where to go or what time to check out, no meal or breakfast times given and this is supposed to be a steak house to the public also.
Perfect location but wouldn't stay here again. Absolute rip off! If you're looking for a night out and not bothered about where you stay then I'd suggest here if you're a group of 5 females/males because that's obviously what kind of room we'd been falsely made to believe was a 'family' room!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family