“average guest house”

Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Skegness
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“average guest house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

we booked the sunday before we arrived on the saturday ,i telephoned to ask a couple of questions and andrea was right in there to say would we book direct with the guest house instead of booking with booking.com i said i would and telephoned her later to book and paid the deposit i asked her how much and she said the same as booking. com i can see now because we stayed for 2 nights which was 98 pound for a twin or doublbe and my daughter paid 88 pound for a small double and i can see someone the same weekend only paid 45 pound for 1 night tis is not fair .the draw space in room 8 was none exsistant very mean with lights on the hallway corridor and on the sunday evening the heating did not come on and @ 5-45 we had to ask for the heating on she made some excuse about it coming on with the weather anyway within 5 mins of asking it come on
there is no power to the showers either in room 8 or 9 and it is freezing in the bathrooms no heated towel rail or radiator
the breakfast was ok but no taste to the bacon and this guest house has no idea of making toast they either want to get a new toaster orbrown it a bit more
when we rang the door bell to book in andrea came to the door and was welcoming THEN her daughter came through and was very rude even for 8 years old she was talikn to her mum doing hand stands in front of us and generally messing about inbetween us it is a business not a playground
i do think they are greedy people askingf for the money as soon as you get through the door when you have paid a deposit and the general feeling we got was we come first the guests come second i would not stay again incidentally there was a hand written note on the sitting room door saying sorry closed we were not told this on booking as we would have liked to have sat in there as there were 4 of us and it was not been decorated because she said they were doing that @ the end of the season.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wonder57
forrdreds, Owner at Philmar Guest House, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
The Philmar is a family run guest house as stated on our website you obviously didn't like children !!! I don't think a child is rude when they are merely just asking for mum.
Your small double room that was booked at £88 for 2 nights was upgraded to a large double on arrival so you could be next to each other, had you have booked this on booking .com at the time of your booking you would have paid £52 per night I see you failed to mention this.A twin room has 2 beds this is why it costs you more .On the day bookings get reduced when there is availability. If you prefer well done toast you can always ask !!!!
All guest houses take payment on arrival. If you all wanted to sit together in the seating area why didn't you use our dining area with lounge seating which was open with lights on during your stay even when you were out ??? Our other lounge area wasn't open during your stay as we was waiting for old furniture to be disposed of that was being stored in there, i would have thought 1 lounge area is enough for 4 people.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were going to go to skegness on sunday for the day to look for a caravan to buy but at the last minute decided to go on saturday night and have a meal at San Rufos Italian restaurant. I logged on to booking .com to find a guest house nearby. I found The Philmar on this site and after looking at the pictures and the price, which by the way was £45 for a double room including breakfast i decided to book. I booked the Philmar at 4 o'clock and arrived about 7.30. Andrea the owner greeted my husband and myself on arrival. She was very friendly and showed us 2 rooms to choose from. We chose room 7 and this room was cosy and it had everything you could possibly need and more. The room was very clean and lovely and warm even though it was a very cold night. The breakfast the next morning was plentiful and very well cooked and Andrea was very attentive to our needs. There is also an honesty fridge where you can get yourselves drinks and snacks and leave the money for them in a dish, although I didn't use this facility I thought it was a lovely touch. This is an excellent guest house and I would happily stay there again and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. When I logged on to trip advisor to write this review I decided to read some of the other reviews on the Philmar and I was very suprised to read some of the negative comments but as the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karen b
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just wanted to thank Andrea and Tim for a lovely weekend stay at their guest house.

They were welcoming and friendly throughout our stay and nothing was too much trouble. Great location, clean well decorated rooms with lovely fresh bedding and all the essentials - not to mention the gorgeous breakfast !

I would definitely stay at the Philmar again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked to stay at the Philmar with my girlfriend for a valentines weekend away. I used booking.com to book a double room for two people with breakfast. When we got there they was shocked to see two people and said we had only paid for one person and made us pay extra (£80 for two nights). Then they said there is no breakfast available because they was redecorating the dining room, which was very disappointing as it was stated when I booked the place, I would have give elsewhere if I knew this.
The rooms were lovely, very nicely decorated and had all the essentials like tv, en-suite bathroom, working radiators, heated towel rail, etc.
When we got all our luggage in we made a coffee with the facilities in the room and it tasted a bit funny and had curdled. We checked the milk, tea, coffee amd biscuits and it was all two months out of date. We couldn't find anyone to tell so we left it and went about our day. When we got back our tea making facilities had been topped up and was still well out of date so we couldn't have a hot drink all weekend.
The guest house is a very nice looking place and serves its purpose but the staff just wasn't interested, the lady said she was going away for the weekend so we wouldn't be seeing her and the man was never there so any issues or questions we had couldn't be resolved. When it come to hanging the keys back we just had to leave them on the front desk and leave as there was nobody there to see us off or take the keys off us. As I got to my car a man shouted over asking what we had done with the keys and then just said see ya, not the hospitality we had paid for really. Other than that its not a bad place and is locates right near the sea and all the major attractions. Overall my girlfriend and I had a great valentines weekend away and would deffinately go back to Skegness, just not that guest house.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Rikki4789
forrdreds, Owner at Philmar Guest House, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
The customer clearly didn't read the booking terms on booking.com as he booked for 1 person 2 nights room only for £30 per night a total cost for the booking was £60.The customer was only charged an extra £10 per night for the other person bringing the booking to £80 for the full stay.Breakfast was not available due to refurbishment of the dining area which is now completed..Had he had booked it on bdc he would have paid more so he actually saved money.
All our products are in date sometimes uht milk gets warm in the rooms and occasionally you get the odd milks that go off.We have a customer bell that guests can ring at any time during their stay, there was someone around at all times you cannot physically sit in the hallway waiting for guests,also mobile numbers are in our customer information booklet.we take our customer care very seriously and give them all relevant info on arrival.If they do not let you know there is a problem you cannot rectify it.had the customer in this instance let us know we could have given them fresh milk .
My advice to people booking on the internet is read all terms and conditions and print out your booking confirmation and take it with you.This customer had to be shown his booking on our computer so he could see what he actually booked !!!
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

we arrived on friday ready for a 2 night stay at the hotel, when we got inside it was quite musty and dated and not like the pics. we were asked for money in advance and asked what we want for breakfast the day before which was strange, we were shown to our room which i was dissapointed with, the shower was so cold that we didnt even bother with it when we went out for the evening, the room was seriously dated. the worst part thought was during the night at around 1.30pm i was woken by a noise out side it sounded as though there was someone wandering around and i heard a moan like it came from a women, at this point i woke my partner up as i wanted to know who was outside as i was slightly concerned, when he woke we heard what sounded like rusting through packets of crisps, after a while i decided to go and see who was out there, but to my suprise no one was about, i came back into the room and then heard a loud bang outside the room again, i ran back out and again there was no one about. at this point we decided we did not want to stay as it was starting to freak us out, we packed our stuff and left heading back home a 2 1/2 hour journey (it was that bad). later on that morning i called the land lady to ask her if she got the key we posted and explained why we left, she was very rude and told me that i am not getting my money back even though i hadnt asked that. we paid £100 for 2 night and we didnt even get through the first night because we felt to uncomfortable to stay. i would not recommend this place to anyone, but if you do decide you want to stay room 9 is not a good choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 001nick
forrdreds, Owner at Philmar Guest House, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are very sorry you didn't like skegness as soon as you arrived. Our cancellation policy is 48hrs as stated when booking.The mystery noise was a lady sat in the tv room having a drink and a bag of crisps !!! from our honesty bar not a ghost as you have suggested. Our guest house is modern and very well decorated, it is unfair to write comments that are simply not true.
We do have a service bell that you can call at any time as stated in our customer information booklet.
Staffordshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked into the Philmar for 3 nights, 4 people, 2 rooms. Andrea was very welcoming from arrival until departure. My elderly parents were on the ground floor as requested which was nice, my friend and I on the upper floor. Rooms spotlessly clean with nice bathrooms as well. Would have no hesitation in staying here again. My parents were also very happy with the Philmar, Andrea even let Dad keep his mobility scooter in the porch which saved my back, lifting in and out of the car......As for distance to the town, probably a comfortable ten minute walk, at a slow pace with my elderly mother. Would highly recommend the Philmar for a stay in Skegness. My parents may well visit again when I am working in the area as may I. Thank you for an enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BingoBunny
Droitwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have to say firstly on a positive note that Andrea was very helpful and her little Girl charming. It was a great shower in the ensuite warm and a good pressure and the guest lounge is very comfortable. The Hotel has a good standard of cleanliness.

The bed in room 9 though I have to say that I have had a better nights sleep on exercise in the military. The cost of the rooms, standard and food amount and quality do not equate to the prices charged but the same can be said for all I have seen in Skegness. You should not bill that your Hotel has parking if it is in the street outside. Does Tim exist as he remained an enigma throughout our stay despite being spotted in the kitchen.

Never have I seen such a inflated price for the mediocre. Over £5 for a Fish and Chip when the whole of the resort stinks like you have just come out of a friar,you are having a laugh Skeggy.

You have to worry when an under pier Gypsy market at Ingermells is headed as a tourist attraction and it's £4 to get there on a bus.

Skegness is daylight robbery and I think only a Gypsy could afford or want to stay there.

Room Tip: Not room 9