“Perfect stop-over”

Ranked #18 of 93 Skegness B&B and Inns
Ingleton, United Kingdom
“Perfect stop-over”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

weve just returned from a stop over/business meeting in Skegness and found and loved this dog friendly hotel. Where nothing was too much trouble as we have just started our diets, Shirley was only too happy to accommodate us, we had delicious poached egg and beans on toast with a fresh fruit salad and all-bran flakes. . so all very healthy.. gorgeous location, sea view, 2 mins from main high street... loved it.. definately recommend .. dont bother reading all the nasty reviews, the couple who run this hotel arent fake, not in your face and false, just down to earth friendly hoteliers, just how we like it.

Room Tip: We had room 6, but i reckon room 7 would be awesome as it had it owns balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NBA2583

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely Easter break in Skeggy (my first time ever and I loved the place!!). The Grand was a perfect base - on the sea front and a small walking distance to the Pier and shops. The B&B was clean and the staff were really friendly. The breakfast was amazing each morning and the perfect start to the day. I would only recommend to stay away from the Clock House Restaurant - it was extremely expensive for what it served plus the quality of the food was very disappointing. The Sun Castle is a must for sure, its a bit quirky price for drinks was really reasonable.

Room Tip: If possible when booking a double room as for one on the first or second floor - the third floor one...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sharon_farmer
Corby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

i stayed at the grand for 4 nights, the room was really nice i thought it was nice that you got clean towels everyday and as i went with my grandparents the view from the room was really nice you you could see the crazy gold course and the pier it is a lovely walk from the hotel to the beach and they also have facility for people that smoke, i smoke and it was nice that they had two benches outside and you have a lovely view of the pier at night. breakfast at the grand is lovly they have toast and a selction of cereals, yogurts, fresh fruit, jams, mushroom, sausage( nice but could be better), bacon, bean , tomatos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sophie S
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

stayed for 1 night, room lovely clean and compact room. room 20 on third floor lovely sea view with small balcony nice new bathroomm toiletries provided and tea and coffee facilities. car parking available. overlooks the pier and crazy golf. breakfast excellent spotlessly clean. tea coffee orange and apple juice cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit salad,toast eggs scrambled and poached beans mushrooms tomatoes[grilled] bacon and sausage its a help yourself but quality is good although sausages could be better. staff are friendly and very helpful we will return x

Room Tip: choose a sea view with balcony the third floors best
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed one night with my partner on a short break. Met owner on arrival who was courteous, yes they do keep your car keys and yes my car was moved to make room in the small garage. Unless you own a Ferrari I really dont see why this is a problem. Room very clean, bed comfy and smelt fresh, decor a little dated but as long as its clean that doesnt bother me. Breakfast was fantastic, buffet style where you can help yourself to as much as you want, all hot and fresh. Very nice cheap and cheerful hotel, right opposite the beach and pier. Would return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kat F
Solihull
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Be strongly advised not to stay at this 'hotel'. No welcome from the owners and then it just gets worse. When signing in I was told I would have to give my car keys to the husband so he could move my car as they have to double park due to lack of space. I didn't take much notice and went up to my room - was not shown to it or had an offer to carry my luggage.
On coming back down later to explore Skegness the wife (who had been lying in wait) asked for my car keys so her husband could move my car. When I refused she said I could not leave the hotel unless I did so!!!!!! I have never been so rudely treated in a hotel before. What was she going to do- forcibly restrain me, lock me in my room????
I said that as my car was parked at the back of the little garage it was not in the way and didn't need moving. She insisted it had to be moved, again I said no. We agreed to go and have a look at how it was parked, whereupon she became quiet as she saw it was not in the way.
When my friend and I returned to the hotel later in the day the wife whispered to her husband 'that's her'. He called to me and said he had found somewhere else for me to park that would be acceptable to us both. I duly moved my car.
He is a creepy man who watches all his guests coming and going. He sits in a chair watching us all come and go when he should be doing the very many maintenance jobs that need doing all over the hotel; shabby decor, old kettle on a small shelf half-way up the wall, towel rail falling off, old horrible brown bobbly blankets, only single pillow cases when there should be two, dirty windows, to name just a few.
My friend and I did not like leaving and returning to the hotel as we knew he would be watching, it really spoilt our stay in Skegness.
Breakfast was not much better, plastic jugs, cheap food, old plastic table cloths for the serving tables, cheap nasty table mats.
And to top it all off, when we checked out he told me he had already taken the amount out on my credit card. As we had decided to pay cash I was annoyed. How dare he do that. The correct procedure is to present the bill to the guest so the guest can check it is correct, then the hotelier should ask ask how the guest would like to pay and THEN ask the guest for their credit card!!!
A most awful hotel (prison camp) run by Basil and Sybil! We re-named it Fawlty Towers.
Please find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank dudleycat88
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I booked a last minute trip down to Skeggy for a weekend break from the kids on our anniversary.

We found The Grand very quickly and it has a grat location on the sea front. Parking provided to the rear of the bulding in a garage (4 spaces (which we got one of)) so no probs there. A walk round the front to ring the bell and be let in. The Owner greeted us warmly and explained the 3 keys given for room, porch and front doors. We were then provided direction to our £76 (paid £10 more for an upgraded sea view) double room on the top floor.

Eventually we reached the top, dodging the stair lifts provided for restricted access to floors 1 and 2, and opened the door to our room.....

HAPPY! Modern attired room in clean, neautral colours. Nice double bed (no squeeks ;) ) Opened the double patio door to the balcony we paid the extra cash for and were pleasanly surprised by the lovely view. I'm glad we paid the upgrade.

Bathroom nicely decorated and Shower worked well power and heat wise.

We had a lovely night in Skegness and slept well. Onto breakfast...! HAPPY! Self serve with plenty of cereal, fruit and yougurt choice. Sausages, Bacon, Eggs, Beans and Mushrooms followed from the beffet style self serve.

All in all we were both extremely happy with our Hotel choice and would certainly stay at The Grand again. Thank you.

Room Tip: Pay for the Sea View with Balcony. We liked it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple