“Good food let down by shocking service”

The Crown Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 121 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Crown Hotel in Stamford is located in the heart of the stunning town renowned for its striking Stamford stone and historical marketplace. Built in the beautiful Stamford stone itself, with 28 charming rooms, the 'Red Cow' the Crown pub, lounge area and bar, the Crown Hotel is a real jewel of KNEAD Pubs. The Crown Hotel is currently transforming into one of KNEAD Pubs. The 'Red Cow' the Crown is our wonderful pub/restaurant and it proudly boasts delicious KNEAD dishes with ingredients sourced from our Tallington farm just six miles down the road, or elsewhere locally whenever possible. The décor has picked up the signature KNEAD attention to detail – with quirky features appearing on every wall and in every room. And, of course, the Crown Hotel serves up a fantastic selection of ales, wine, cocktails and more. If you’re looking for a hotel in Stamford that is in a great location for the town’s tourist attractions or for a central stopover for business, then the Crown will be delighted to welcome you. The Crown is packed with character through and through – from its beautiful courtyard perfect for summer’s days, to its original building dating back to 1260.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have been to the crown 3 times in a 2 month period, once with a group of friends, twice with family. Unfortunately on each separate occasion good food was let down by poor, unacceptably slow service. On the first visit with friends we ordered cocktails to which mine (10 minutes after all of my friends had received theirs) was wrong. Not a sorry in sight, in fact the waiter actually seemed annoyed at me as if it was my mistake. Another 15 minutes past before my correct drink arrived to which the waiter then hovered at our table waiting for a pat on the back which was frankly awkward for the whole table! On the occasions a couple of weeks later when I came with my partners family, the same scenario occured. Your service is just not doing your food justice. On the final visit we were sat waiting for 45 minutes after ordering our food with no explanation as to what the delay was. Several members of our party wanted to walk out but one decided to find out what the delay was first so left the table to find a member of staff only to be told the meals were being plated up and that we had a long wait because one of us had ordered the steak pie.... Apparently we should of known this!! No apology just a snotty reply. And one of which was a lie unless it takes 15 further minutes to plate up 6 meals. We will not be coming back! Basic Customer service skills are severely lacking And I should know, I teach them!

CrownStamford, General Manager at The Crown Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

We have just seen your review of us and are appalled by the poor level of service and lack of basic customer care that you have received. I would be most grateful if you would contact me at The Crown Hotel so that we may discuss your experiences further. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to attempt to 'win back our colours' . We do hope to hear from you. With thanks and kind regards Sally, Hotel Director

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Staff were friendly but the food was disappointing.My savoury risotto tasted a bit sweet My partner had fish which was overcooked with little fish and lots of batter, his starter was very small

Reviewed September 25, 2012

we always have a meal at The Crown when visiting Stamford or Burghley Horse Trials. We have been going for many years and it never disappoints. The owners are great and several of the staff have been there for a very long time. Very welcoming and superb locally sourced food.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

This is about the Crown's function room in particular rather than the restaurant. I came cap in hand to the Crown quite late on looking for a function room for a Saturday lunchtime "do" for my Daughter's 18th birthday. They couldn't have been more helpful or welcoming. They made it really easy for us and on the day they were superb. Special mention for Tom who looked after us very well. The room was great, the food was really good considering there was 20 of us to be fed at the same time. I'd say this function room is the jewel in the (ahem) Crown! (Sorry)
Thanks Tom, you and the team were great. If you need a smallish function room in Stamford for about 20 for your "do" then the crown has to be the first choice.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Lovely place, great decor, everyone from local farmers to WAG tyes goes there, v comfy if you're there for meal / posh drinks / casual drinks. Best cocktails ever!!!!