“Atmospheric festive stay in Stamford”
Review of The Bull & Swan

The Bull & Swan
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
European city break traveller
“Atmospheric festive stay in Stamford”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Bull and Swan over the Christmas break. Stayed in the Wild Horse Room with roll top bath and huge walk in shower. Unusual layout of the room... the toilet and bathroom were in separate rooms across a small landing, I enjoyed the quirkiness of it but my boyfriend wasn't so sure and it may not be to everyone's taste! We ate in the hotel in the evening in the bar area rather than the restaurant as it was fairly quiet on the Sunday evening.The meal was lovely and the standard and quality of the food was repeated at breakfast when we enjoyed continental breakfast followed by Eggs Benedict.
The hotel is only a 5-10 mins walk in to Stamford. It's a beautiful town for a stroll with it's Georgian architecture and riverside location.
Throughout our stay I found the service to be excellent. Working in the service industry I'm forever measuring the quality of service wherever I go! I found the staff at the Bull and Swan to be attentive yet relaxed, professional and friendly. The overall experience during our stay was a very good one. Particular credit to the guy who served us at breakfast who was particularly charming and attentive.
If you're looking for a quaint and quirky place to stay in the centre of Stamford with heaps of history and great service then I would highly recommend the Bull and Swan.

2 Thank loobiemoo
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
I’m glad that you enjoyed your festive break with us, everybody has been working so hard over this period and it will give them a huge lift to read such lovely reviews like yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

One night stay the week before Christmas.
The room.
Booked a Chic room which was very nice but did not have a bath only a shower. The pictures of the Chic room on the web show a roll top bath which I believe is the case in only one of the three Chic rooms. Chocolates ordered to be in the room were forgotten. Polite grumble and with no hesitation upgraded to the Ram room, the Top room which was beautifully appointed and decorated. Free drink from the bar to make up for the lack of chocolates. Only complaint with the room, the carpet has probably seen better days. Queen size bed, linen etc all top class.
The food.
Booked a three course meal in the restaurant for the evening. Everything was beautifully presented and tasted first class. Service was also attentive polite and professional. The full English breakfast in the morning was as good as I have ever tasted, absolutely delicious and beautifully put together. The accompanying cold buffet etc again was great.
In conclusion, a cosy, quirky traditional coaching Inn with polite, professional friendly service a welcome and preferable, dare I say alternative to the George. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Slept like a baby in the Ram room which faces the road. So no problem with the main road traffic eve...
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your review and I do apologise for you not receiving chocolates in your room and I’m glad that you appreciated the upgrade and complimentary drinks as our way of saying sorry.
Luke our head Chef was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your meals throughout the stay, a lot of hard work goes into making the menus and for them to read that this is paying off is a huge pat on the back for the whole team.

We all hope to see you again soon
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We spent three days here on a short break, having never seen Stamford. It was easy enough to find, and the parking was great although the arch you have to drive through was not built for 4x4s, but they do fit - just.

The room, called Ram, was quite large, and very nicely furnished. The bathroom had a large roll-top bath, as well as a large rain-head shower - both worked very well. Lots of character, with uneven floors and low doorways. With the pub being on a main road, and the room over the dining room, I was expecting some noise (Christmas parties), but with such a large comfortable bed we weren't disturbed at all once our heads hit the pillows.

The food here was simple and unfussy (none of the jacket-and-tie pretensions you get just down the road), but good quality ingredients very well cooked indeed. Somebody clearly takes some care in the kitchen. Although we hadn't planned it, we ate in for two of our three nights as the food was so good.

I also liked the little touches - serving a decent tonic (Fever Tree) and good quality tea bags (teapigs) - hurdles that far more expensive places usually fail on. It shows that quite a lot of thought has gone into making it special.

The friendliness of the staff was charming - happy and approachable, but not overbearing. Even the cleaning staff (who I find are usually surly) had a cheery "good morning" and a happy demeanour.

And finally, the price was very reasonable - just proving that you can get comfortable, good quality food and bed for way less than an equivalent hotel will charge. Of course it doesn't offer fitness clubs, swimming pools and so on, but that is not usually what I am interested in.

I would definitely stay here again, and will make a point of trying its sister hotels.

1 Thank Alan L
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
I’m so happy to read that we hit the right notes during your recent stay with us, I will be sure to pass on your very kind words to each and every department that made your stay so enjoyable and I’m sure they will be buoyed by what they read.
We certainly aim to put the customer first and this includes all the little extra touches we add to make us different from the ‘norm’ as we firmly believe that this makes a huge difference.
I will be sure to welcome you back in the future and I’m sure our sister properties will when they read this as well.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in "the stag" which was charming and spacious... Great bathroom, enjoyed the bath.
Bed was really comfy and the atmosphere in the whole place was really relaxing. Ate in the town in the evening which was a pleasant walk away but if the breakfast was anything to go by I would eat in the restaurant next time I stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank louise s
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
I was slightly apprehensive when I read the title of your review but I am pleased that you found us comfortable and relaxing, just what you need at this time of year!
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a one night stay here at the end of November. The room was spacious and extremely comfortable. We booked in for dinner and breakfast and both meals were delicious. The service was friendly and efficient, in fact can think of no negatives at all. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: We were in the Ram room. Very comfortable with a lovely freestanding bath in the very large bathroo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike D
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, it is a huge pat on the back for the team when they get to read such kind words.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My friend & I arrived here @ 3p.m on Saturday afternoon.We were greeted by a young man who carried our bags up to our room number 3 which was small but neat with the T.V on the wall . Great shower lovely hot water.The bed had feather pillows etc SO COMFORTABLE !!!!!!!.There was tea,coffee, hot choc & bicuits in the room. The staff in the bar were very nice.The teabags in the room were to die for !!(sad i know) but it was the best cup of tea we have ever had its called TEAPIGS morning glory & it was heaven.The breakfast was very good.& Yes we will go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank fijomokt54
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
What a great review thank you, I’m so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. Please do return and I will be sure to have enough Tea Pigs, Morning Glory in stock ready for you!
nottingham
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here for my husbands birthday. Our room was called Stag and was decorated with a highland theme. It was spacious and comfortable although the heating seemed to have a mind of its own. The bed was big and comfortable, so we had a good nights sleep. There was a bit of traffic noise as there was no double glazing, but it didn't bother us too much. The bathroom was lovely, nice big bath and walk in shower. We dined in the restaurant in solitary splendour and enjoyed the food very much. We had our cheese in the bar where quite a few people were dining. The staff were charming and chatty and we will definitely come back, possibly in the summer when Burghley House will be open.

Room Tip: We liked Stag
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback, I have addressed the issues raised about our boiler which I agree did have ‘a mind of its own’ during your stay! We have now resolved this problem. We do offer 2 for 1 admission throughout the summer for our guests with our Hidden England tickets to the house and it is well worth the visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Sibson Inn Hotel
Sibson Inn Hotel
#14 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The Bull & Swan? Share your experiences!