“Stamford's Number 2.”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Stamford's Number 2.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Really good value alternative to the George. We needed a Sunday night over and tried to book the George well in advance but it was full. It was half the price at the Bull and good value for money. Service helpful and friendly. Breakfast excellent. Evening meal was unusual because we ate after the 6 -7 pm meal deal and found it a bit lonely on our own. Nevertheless the bream was fresh a nd tasty as was the soup for starter. Interesting history about the Bedlam club, which is now the restaurant. We had a front bedroom which was tasteful and ' antiquey' just a little noisy when the morning traffic got going. Parking in the courtyard may be challenging for those of a nervous disposition!

• Stayed April 2013
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
It was a pleasure to read your review and I absolutely appreciate you taking the time to post feedback. The entrance to our car park is indeed rather narrow; those a little less brave are most welcome to make use of the large car park at our sister hotel, The William Cecil, which is only just up the road. I do hope you return to us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just got back from an overnight stay at The Bull & Swan - what a wonderful place! Fantastic room - we stayed in The Stag - great size, comfortable beds, well stocked tea tray and the mini bottle of elderflower vodka was a welcome touch. The staff were great - in particular the very hard working bearded man who checked us in, moved our bags, took our drinks order, served us lunch and breakfast and generally put up with us (we were a very noisy and demanding party!).

The pub has a small car park and is really well situated (about a 5 minute walk from the centre of Stamford). The real ale was excellent (wide selection) and the food delicious.

I only have one small niggle - the pillows were too flat and consequently I didn't have the best nights sleep. If I'd checked before bedtime, I would have asked for an extra one and there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

Great hotel - would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jane A
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I will ensure that all the staff get to see your wonderful comments. We are certainly able to provide more pillows so when you next book please mention that you would like additional pillows for your room and we will arrange it. We hope to see you again very soon.
Witham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here last night, in the Lyon room. As mentioned before the room has no shower, and the bath is in the room. The little bathroom is very cold, There was no plug next to the mirror for drying hair, although after asking if the other half wanted to come downstairs and use the tiolets in the bar, the nice girl provided an extension lead.

I was dissapointed overall with the little things that were missing when you pay over a £100 for a room. I have stayed in many that have been better for less money. I would have been far happier if i had paid about £70.

On a good note the food was excellent and very reasonably priced, and breakfast was also excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gavandstacey
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I really appreciate you giving us your honest criticism as it is through customer feedback like this that we are able to improve our service. Rest assured we will look into your comments and ensure that we find solutions so that future guests do not experience the same. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast. I do hope you return to us soon and I am certain your next stay will be better than “ok”.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday special in the upgraded chic Lion room. Absolutely loved the room.

Amazing large free standing bath, I haven't had a bath that deep since I was a little girl. Don't be put off that this particular room doesn't have a shower the shower on the bath is super poweful and I had no issues washing out intensive conditioner from my long hair.

The bed was really comfortable and the teapigs in the rooms was excellent as well as 'real' coffee. The staff were lovely. If we needed anything they would help but the place had a nice laid back atmosphere not 'stuffy' at all, just what I like.

Now the breakfast...superb. Theres the usual continental affair then a range of hot food you can order, me and my partner had the full english which was the best I've had in a long time. I only checked out yesterday and I already want to go back and although I only paid £80 B&B I'd happily pay the regular rate for this hotel.

I didn't eat in the restauran went to a nearby place mama lizs but wish I hadn't bothered and eaten at the hotel instead!

1 Thank Amelia N
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
It is great to read reviews like yours as it makes us realise that the work we put into both the planning of the room amenities and staff training has paid off. We hope to see you again soon and that next time you choose to eat with us as well.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just returned from a two night Easter Break here and loved every minute. We were given a warm welcome and the warmth continued throughout our stay. The staff ever eager to ensure we were having a good time and on hand to assist. Our room (Lyon - No.7) was such a lovely surprise. I had picked the Classic room as I thought it looked just as nice as some of the superior rooms and I wasn’t disappointed. The room was spotless and sumptuously furnished with a comfy poster bed and large roll topped bath. Watch out for the raised area that the bath sits on however when trekking to the loo at night. Stubbed my foot twice – both too and from! I learned my lesson thereafter. The hospitality tray was well thought out too – really tasty tea, special lemon and orange bickys and even a little bottle of Elderflower liqueur with two shot glasses as a little treat. Room No.7 also has its own entrance and stair way from the bar, which is quirky but nice. This might be considered a little too close to the bar for some, as you are situated over part of the bar and eating area, but generally all was quiet by 11 a.m. with no dramas. Yes, the road is a tad noisy, but Stamford does have some busy roads, so it’s just how it is. The road noise did not detract from our stay or sleep. The comfy bed saw to that. I would recommend booking a table in the Restaurant as it well patronised by locals and guests. We were unsure what to do on our first evening so left plans open, however, having decided to eat in, the staff found us a pleasant table near the bar and this is where we decided to stay for the two nights as the atmosphere was so nice. The food is straight forward and good quality. Good old Fish and Chips are on offer as are burgers, pies, platters of local produce – good cheeses, fish and vegetarian options – so something for everyone. A good selection is on offer at breakfast time too. The hotel also serve good local beers. Indeed Stamford is amazingly good for real ale – every single pub, and there are many, support local producers and offer good food at extremely keen prices. We have already planned a return trip to Stamford and The Bull & Swan this summer with friends, such was our joy at finding an all-round winner. The room rates had increased somewhat since I booked some months back, but this merely reflects the high quality of the accommodation and service available. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All look amazingm, but ours was No 7 - Lyon - over the bar, but it suited us just fine.
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! We certainly look forward to welcoming you all back in the summer where hopefully you'll be able to enjoy our fabulous outdoor area.
Louth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Whoever accepted the booking over the telephone completely ignored our requests. However, this was sorted out on arrival in a professional and pleasant manner and did not detract from a perfect 2 night stay. The B&S is a hotel that has managed to stay as a proper pub. Our dinner was very enjoyable and full marks too for having kippers on the breakfast menu!
The room was tastefully and individually furnished ad we really liked the large bathroom and separate loo on their own private landing. The road can be noisy but the large comfortabe bed ensured a perfect night's sleep.
We look forward to returning, if only for a pint of the excellent beer in front of the fire.

James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I am delighted to read that despite the initial niggles you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you visit again soon to enjoy a pint.
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Bull & Swan for one night on a recent trip. We were delighted with the very friendly welcome, the bar and the food. It was also very warm, a delight in the snowy weather.
Being able to park up and walk into town was also an advantage - Stamford is a pretty market town and certainly deserves a good look around.

We were in the Lamb Room, - this was on the back of the hotel and very small, but comfortable non the less, and we did have to dance round one another to get to the loo! Very good selection of teas and coffees in the room too.

My only gripes - speaking as a lady, is there was a hair dryer, but the lead was too short to reach a mirror to see what I was doing. The room was above the kitchen and there was a lot of door slamming as staff went in and out - a baffle on the door would go a long way to solve the problem guys!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
James C, General Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for posting a review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into your comments regarding the hairdryer and door closer to ensure these issues are rectified.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Hambleton Hall
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton

Been to The Bull & Swan? Share your experiences!