“An unexpected gem of a night out”

Rutland Open Air Theatre
Ranked #3 of 30 things to do in Stamford
England
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“An unexpected gem of a night out”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I can't say that i've ever been a fan of Shakespeare. A friend suggested a night in Stamford to watch the Stamford Shakespeare Company perform "Twelve Night". I must admit my ignorance at not nothing anything about this play or it's story, so I went with an open mind. What an amazing night out.

We started with a picnic in the grounds. The audience seats were all under cover. All I would say is remember to take a rug. As a new comer to outside theatre, I hadn't realised just how chilly it could get.

All the actors involved in the performance were outstanding. I never thought Shakespeare could be so funny. I WILL be going back again.

Stamford, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Stamford Shakespeare in the open air is not to be missed!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Every summer, the Stamford Shakespeare company put on three productions at their home at Tolethorpe.
This is a beautiful country house where one can picnic outside before the performance. The auditorium is under cover but the 'stage' is actually a clearing in a wood. It is an enchanting setting.
The quality of the performances is always very high. Good acting and excellent sets.

In all it is well worth a visit at least once every summer.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“The perfect English summer evening”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

With a group of friends we travelled from Essex to see Twelfth Night. WE were very lucky with the weather: a warm, dry sunny evening, perfect for a picnic on the lawn before the production - think Glyndebourne.

Very good production of the play; I write as one who has performed in this play. Good organisation by the theatre staff. Comfortable seats, well raked for a good view. As the sun set a couple of bats swooped across the stage. The view to trees and parkland beyond the stage make this an outstanding experience.

Immingham
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Shakespeare at its Best”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We go to at least one show a year in this fabulous, purpose built amphitheatre, where the audience is under cover, and the actors' stage is created in the natural surroundings, open to the elements

This year we have been to see 12th Night, which was the best show we have seen there. It was absolutely hilarious, and I laughed until tears literally ran down my cheeks (along with the rest of the audience)

The cast were perfect in their roles

Don't miss the opportunity to go and see a first class Shakespeare play in wonderful surroundings, but make it really special by taking a classy picnic and sit in the gorgeous grounds beforehand. The gates open at 5 pm

You will not be disappointed